JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another Low-Cost JP1.2/3 (Flash) Interface

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Another Low-Cost JP1.2/3 (Flash) Interface Reply with quote

Here's another way to make your own flash interface, not the best, but probably the least expensive that uses an FTDI chip and driver. And it does top the Nokia and FTDI Cable versions in that you can have an LED diagnostic indicator if you want it.

The instructions are HERE.
jetstar52

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Thanks so much for your continuing help to this community. I noticed in your instructions that there's no need to connect pin 1. I have a modified 15-100 whose six-pin header came off due to wear and mishandling. Can I ignore pin 1 when I reattach the 15-100's header? If I leave pin 1 unconnected, can I still use the earlier cable I bought from you?
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can ignore pin 1.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy, All this talk about usb to serial converters has brought up a question. Can a regular usb to serial converter like this one http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=usb+to+serial&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6453028244276719865&sa=X&ei=mdqzT9PmKYeQ9gSQtMD1CA&ved=0COkBEPMCMAE be used by making a simple DB9 to 6 pin adapter cable? Can an adapter cable be used on a regular PC serial port? Can a 10 pin to 6 pin adapter be used on a PC motherboard serial port header? Sorry it expanded into 3 questions. Most newer motherboards still have a serial port header.

Mike

Edited for grammar

Last edited by Dilligaf on Fri May 18, 2012 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dilligaf:
In all three cases, you need a "serial JP1-interface", not an "adapter". Instructions for this are found in the forum. Note that a "normal serial port" carries +-12 Volts (originally RS232 was invented for something else than modern electronics), and this will fry electronics like a JP1 remote. To the "regular usb to serial" converter: What the "gallon of gasoline"-thread taught us is that experimenting with no-name usb-serial converters is for those with lots of time and very, very little money... (although I personally had success, as I have reported.)
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help clarify things a bit. There are two basic types of "USB Converters" on the market. The first, and most familiar type, essentially creates a VCP (virtual com port) at a computer that does not have a serial output port, to enable it to communicate with equipment that does. This is the type in the link at the start of this thread. You can identify these easily because they have a DB9 output connector just like the serial connector your computer doesn't have. Its serial data lines exhibit true RS232 voltage levels, often swinging between -12V and +12V, and always resting in the low voltage state when the line is idle.

The second type of converter often goes by a name such as USB-to-RS232 TTL converter, or USB-to-Serial TTL converter, or something similar. Your clues are the designation "TTL" and the absence of a DB9 output connector. TTL refers to the voltage levels of its signals, which are in the 0 to 5V range. This type of converter is also used to create a VCP at a USB port, but the outputs are not intended for transmission to remote equipment. Rather, they are intended to be connected to devices such as microprocessors that accept TTL voltage level signals. Also, the polarity of the data signals is inverted from normal RS232, and the line rests in the higher voltage state when idle.

The second type of converter can sometimes be used as the basis for a flash interface, since the signal levels and polarity are compatible with a remote. But the first type of converter requires a regular serial flash interface be inserted between the converter and the remote to invert the signals and protect from the high voltages.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks to both of you.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: