JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What setup for diygadget USB w/ JP1 adapter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: What setup for diygadget USB w/ JP1 adapter? Reply with quote

I've been searching for days now and can't seem to figure this out. I've programmed JP1 remotes for years but decided to upgrade my cable since parallel ports are hard to come by.

I bought a JP1.2/1.3 (FLASH) USB Cable and a JP1.2/1.3 to JP1 Adapter from diygadget thinking that I can use it for my existing JP1 remotes now and I can also use it for any JP1.2/1.3 remotes I buy in the future. The problem is I can't seem to make it talk to my existing URC-6131 (JP1).

1. I can't tell which is pin 1 on either the USB cable or the JP1 adapter. No markings, no dots - how can I tell they are set the right way? For the moment I try 4 permutations for each test rotating the orientation of the cable pins and adapter pins.

2. I've tried jp1xtest.exe and IR803 and neither seem to connect. IR803 shows "serial/parallel driver is functioning" but "Delcom USB Error: unable to find Delcom device driver"

3. What should the setting be in IR803? Does the diygadget USB cable w/ JP1 adapter appear as a JP1 serial interface?

Thanks in advance for any assistance...
Kevin
jetstar52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem. Telling IR that I was using a JP1.x interface fixed it for me.
ripple

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the USB driver from diygadget.com works to make the USB port appear as COM3 so that makes me think IR would see it as a JP1 Serial on COM3, but it says remote has no power. I don't understand whether Delcom drivers are also needed or how it should appear...?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way. You are using a JP1.3 cable to connect to a JP1 remote through a JP1.3 to JP1 adapter. IR and/or RMIR must use the JP1.3 interface to make this work. So it should be JP1.3 serial.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
ripple

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Think of it this way. You are using a JP1.3 cable to connect to a JP1 remote through a JP1.3 to JP1 adapter. IR and/or RMIR must use the JP1.3 interface to make this work. So it should be JP1.3 serial.

That makes sense, but is a Delcom driver needed? I downloaded those but it just has inf files and a sys file. I right-click on the inf file and "install" but can't see any difference...

Kevin
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the Delcom driver is not needed. That is for the JP1 USB cable, which you are not using. You said the driver you installed ( is it the FTDI driver?) makes the JP1.3 cable appear as COM3. That's all you need and is the port you should tell IR/RMIR to use for JP1.2/3
ripple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
You said the driver you installed ( is it the FTDI driver?) makes the JP1.3 cable appear as COM3. That's all you need and is the port you should tell IR/RMIR to use for JP1.2/3

Thanks Greg for your input.

The driver I used was "JP1.2-1.3_USB_CABLE_DRIVER_INSTALLER" from diygadget downloads area. When that driver is installed and the cable is plugged in the system autodetects it and a new COM3 port shows up named "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port".

I've seen FTDI mentioned but don't believe I have it - it seems very confusing as to which drivers are used for which cables and situations... Is the Tommy Tyler cable completely different from the diygadget one? Would I have an easier time with his cable?

So that helps with most of what I need but I still get no connection in IR. I suppose it could be a faulty cable so I'm following up with diygadget but they are slow to respond.

Do you know if the JP1 adapter is directional? I can't see any pin 1 designation...

Kevin
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripple wrote:
gfb107 wrote:
You said the driver you installed ( is it the FTDI driver?) makes the JP1.3 cable appear as COM3. That's all you need and is the port you should tell IR/RMIR to use for JP1.2/3

Thanks Greg for your input.

The driver I used was "JP1.2-1.3_USB_CABLE_DRIVER_INSTALLER" from diygadget downloads area. When that driver is installed and the cable is plugged in the system autodetects it and a new COM3 port shows up named "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port".

I've seen FTDI mentioned but don't believe I have it - it seems very confusing as to which drivers are used for which cables and situations... Is the Tommy Tyler cable completely different from the diygadget one? Would I have an easier time with his cable?

You have already installed the drivers you need. I can tell because the COM3 port shows up.

Quote:
So that helps with most of what I need but I still get no connection in IR. I suppose it could be a faulty cable so I'm following up with diygadget but they are slow to respond.

Do you know if the JP1 adapter is directional? I can't see any pin 1 designation...

It is definitely directional, as is the JP1.2/3 cable. So you will have to try all the permutations to figure out the correct orientation. Once you figure it out, don't forget to mark the cable and the adapter so you don't have to do it again next time. Are you sure you have the adapter and not just the extender?

I have no experience with DIYgadget, but a fair number of people seem to have trouble getting going with their products. I don't why that is.

I've always gone with Tommy's stuff. His cable and adapters are all very clearly marked.
prelude
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I will make sure pin 1 are clearly marked before I ship them.
streetskater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetstar52 wrote:
I ran into the same problem. Telling IR that I was using a JP1.x interface fixed it for me.
Yup! That's the solution. The Delcom USB drivers aren't needed.

BTW: I just bought the Digabyte combo, 8 months later, and still nothing is keyed. For $48.00 they could be a little more 'thoughtful'. The Prolific USB-Serial solution isn't exactly "out of the box" thinking although it is an out-of-the box solution.

Well, glad to get it working, and thanks for the all important tip, Jets. Maybe if I need a jp1.X down the road this will be a better purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: