JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is "Set Baseline?"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: What is "Set Baseline?" Reply with quote

In IR there is a "Set Baseline" in the Tools menu. What is a baseline and what is setting it do?
I don't see it in the Glossary and can't find it in the docs.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set baseline is described in the wiki
This sets a baseline and highlights all changes in the RAW data after the baseline is set.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=IR%27s_Menus

to expand further, setting a baseline allows you to see what is going on in the raw data as you make changes. It also allowsy you to roll back all your changes to the baseline, during the CURRENT session. Its a very handy feature for trying "what ifs", or to see if things are changing when you download from your remote.
dannyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg,
Thank you for clarifying that. A baseline is a snapshot of your current data. Maybe it should be in the Glossary.

I hadn't noticed IR Help. Looks like a lot of good reading! I came in the back door as a beginner and started using RMIR not knowing the best one to start with. I'm still unsure about IR, RM, RMIR and Remote Master which seems to download both Remote Master and RMIR.

Unfortunately my Remote went wacky at the same time I started using RMIR. That makes it difficult not knowing what to expect.

Not complaining, just babbling.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyo wrote:
vickyg,
A baseline is the initial snapshot of your current data. Maybe it should be in the Glossary.

Fixed.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyo wrote:
I came in the back door as a beginner and started using RMIR not knowing the best one to start with. I'm still unsure about IR, RM, RMIR and Remote Master which seems to download both Remote Master and RMIR.

There are really only two distinct programs in that list of yours, as RM and RMIR are two applications within the single RemoteMaster program. Here's a very brief outline of the current situation.

IR.exe is the original editing tool for remotes and runs only on Windows. It needs a separate tool for creating and editing device upgrades that can then be imported into IR.exe. The original tool for this was KeyMap Master (KM) which runs as a MS Excel spreadsheet.

RemoteMaster (RM) was developed as a more versatile device upgrade editor than KM. A big advantage of RM is that it takes its information about remotes from the RDF and so can be extended easily to cover new remotes. In contrast, KM needs revisions to the program to incorporate new remotes

RMIR is the latest addition to this toolkit. It is an editing tool for remotes that is built round RM. Both RM and RMIR are contained in the single Java program RemoteMaster.jar, which is available also as a Windows .exe file. Since RMIR incorporates RM, it is a single tool capable of editing the remote and and also of creating and editing device upgrades for use by that remote. As it is written in Java, it can run on any platform that supports Java, but in reality it is supported only for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X as it uses support libraries compiled only for these platforms.

At present, IR.exe is no longer under active development. KM is being maintained but does not cover the whole range of remotes that RM supports. RM, and in particular RMIR, are under active development. A version will shortly be available that supports remotes with the newest interfaces, JP1.4 amd JP2. There seems little prospect that IR.exe will be extended to support these. There are still some features of IR.exe that are not available in RMIR, but RMIR is the tool of the future and the one that I would recommend new users to adopt.
dannyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
A baseline is the initial snapshot of your current data.

If I understand it, set baseline saves your current state (not necessarily initial) each time you set it? If that's true maybe it should read more like

A baseline is a snapshot of your current data. Your current data is saved when the baseline is set. This baseline can then be compared with future changes.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyo wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
A baseline is the initial snapshot of your current data.

If I understand it, set baseline saves your current state (not necessarily initial) each time you set it? If that's true maybe it should read more like

A baseline is a snapshot of your current data. Your current data is saved when the baseline is set. This baseline can then be compared with future changes.

Hee, hee. I think at this point we're just quibbling over semantics in its definition. To put it into a single sentence, "It is a backup which can be juxtaposed with future changes."
dannyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon,
Thanks for your enlightening summary! It should go somewhere in the wiki for beginners.
mathdon wrote:
RMIR is the tool of the future and the one that I would recommend new users to adopt.

I would think old users should adopt as well. It's easier to explain things if we all speak the same language. Especially so if IR is no longer supported.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyo wrote:
I would think old users should adopt as well. It's easier to explain things if we all speak the same language. Especially so if IR is no longer supported.

RMIR is still a way to go before people start stop using IR. Incidently, just because Mathdon is actively developing RMIR doesn't mean IR isn't being supported. IR is still a more mature project that has features that many of the more senior experts cannot do without.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz,
I suppose that one can say that IR is being "supported" in the sense that fellow users may help another user who doesn't understand some aspect of IR.

But if a bug is discovered, or a new feature requested, there is currently no one who is willing to modify IR.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
eferz,
I suppose that one can say that IR is being "supported" in the sense that fellow users may help another user who doesn't understand some aspect of IR. But if a bug is discovered, or a new feature requested, there is currently no one who is willing to modify IR.

Yep. That's exactly what I meant. Thanks for making the clarification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: