JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05 with more than 5 devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: RCRP05 with more than 5 devices Reply with quote

Any ideas on how you can realistically use more than 5 devices with an RCRP05? I know it can support 8 devices internally.

On mine, I do have the extender installed. I use LKP macros on most of the device keys that turn things on and set inputs, etc... I mainly use an 8910 right now, but hope to use the RCA as it's replacement.

I currently have TV, Cable box, BD player, receiver, an old VCR, and a digital TV tuner (mostly for experimenting.) That's already 6. My new receiver ends up using different codes depending on what mode it's in, so I may need a second device upgrade to easily use it for the network/iPod modes.

What kind of tricks could be used that would 'change' a device key to another code? I guess doing something like a Dev_dev6 would leave it in another code, but would that affect any keymoves or macros already defined to the original device key?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
I don't use an extender with the RCRP05B, but for non-extended remotes, I define a standard macro and bind it to, for example, shift Audio (tap Setup, then tap Audio). The macro simply contains dev6 (or dev4 or dev 5). So tapping Setup, then Audio, runs the macro, and the macro changes the device mode to dev6.

Of course you need to have assigned a setup code to dev6, and can use it as a target for VPT, channel lock, and device specific macros. The RCRP05B also has a global punchthrough, similar to VPT, except any button can be assigned to the punch through device.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your list, you only really "watch" 4 of those devices (CBL, BD, VCR and the Tuner), the TV and the receiver are just devices that you use to help you watch those other devices, so for the most part they don't need their own device buttons, as long as your macros can access them (on the hidden device buttons) to turn them on and select the right input. Of course, you'll also need to set VPT to the receiver.

However, it would probably be a good idea to have some way of getting to the hidden device modes for those occasions when you need to adjust something on the TV or the receiver, and a macro that invokes the hidden device button should do the trick.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the remote you'll see the words Aux, SAT and VCR above the device keys DVR, CBL and DVR.

I assigned macros to the shifted Device Buttons.
Shift-DVD:= dev4
Shift-CBL:= dev5
Shift-DVR:= dev6

I now have 8 devices buttons that are even labeled on the remote.

But when you use the phantom devices there is no LED feedback. I found that unacceptable, so I created a protocol to change this so that the lights will light up for dev4, dev5 and dev6.

dev4 will light the DVD/VCR LED
dev5 will light the CBL/SAT LED
dev6 will light the DVR/AUX LED

31793179 LED Activation

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
gentzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I created a protocol to change this so that the lights will light up for dev4, dev5 and dev6.

dev4 will light the DVD/VCR LED
dev5 will light the CBL/SAT LED
dev6 will light the DVR/AUX LED

Hi vicky. Much thanks for this, it works great.

If I may ask, how difficult is it to change which LED lights for which phantom device?

I'd be happy to attempt it myself with a bit of guidance. I've never used Protocol Builder before, but I am an experience assembler programmer (albeit with different processors).

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: