JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Onkyo receivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Onkyo receivers Reply with quote

I just bought a new Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver. I haven't set it up yet as I'm still waiting for some new HDMI and network cables. I probably will not have time to set things up until Thanksgiving weekend, if I get the rest of the order (bought through Amazon. Receiver came almost next day from Vann's. iPod adapter and other items coming direct from Amazon via 'free shipping'. The cables are coming from Monoprice.)

Just curious to know if there are any oddities or other issues with Onkyo receiver codes or how they work since I will have to update my remote (currently using an 8910, but also have an RCRP05B as a future replacement.) My current receiver is a Sony DB-930.

Once nice feature on my Sony is that sending a discrete code for a device would also turn the receiver on if needed. Is it common for an Onkyo to do that? If it doesn't, do they have discrete on, and do I need a long delay between powering on and selecting an input?
madmalkav

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find in a thread I started in the begginers subforum some Excel files with all the Pronto Codes for Onkyo systems. They have an obscene quantity of discrete codes so I doubt you will have any problem making it work as you want.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Onkyo receivers Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
I just bought a new Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver.

Just curious to know if there are any oddities or other issues with Onkyo receiver codes or how they work since I will have to update my remote (currently using an 8910, but also have an RCRP05B as a future replacement.)

Not sure if it helps, but I recorded the respective device IR profile from the Logitech Harmony Database with the IR Scope and Widget.

andyross wrote:
My current receiver is a Sony DB-930. Once nice feature on my Sony is that sending a discrete code for a device would also turn the receiver on if needed. Is it common for an Onkyo to do that? If it doesn't, do they have discrete on, and do I need a long delay between powering on and selecting an input?

Is the receiver or its remote actually sending out those IR commands, or are those actually Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) signals traveling through HDMI? I know Sony calls their HDMI-CEC implementation "Bravia Sync", whereas Onkyo calls their implementation "Remote Interactive over HDMI (RIHD)". You might want to check if this is relevant to your configuration(s).
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sony is 11 years old and doesn't have HDMI. The closest to CEC it has is Sony's S-Link, which is no longer used since none of my other devices support it (I used to have a DVP-S530 DVD player and KV-30XBR910 TV that supported it.) Simply sending a discrete code for a receiver device selection will turn it on if needed. Makes macros a bit simpler.

Yesterday, I did pull out the Onkyo, hooked it up to the network, and updated the firmware (takes nearly an hour!) It's own remote is universal and has a decent range of devices. Not JP1, though.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the latest Onkyo spreadsheet that madmalkav mentioned earlier in the thread.

The NR-609 upgrade is a good place to start, since it has many of the functions you'll want, and it uses the NEC1 Combo protocol, which is available in the 8910, and of course the RCRP05B.

There are a few functions listed on the spreadsheet which use a variant of the NEC protocol. Here's a block of volume control codes from the spreadsheet:
Code:
D26D 02   Volume Level Up
D26D 03   Volume Level Down
D21E50 00   Volume Level Up 1dB Step
D21E50 01   Volume Level Down 1dB Step

The first two are standard NEC (D2 is hexadecimal notation for 210, 6D is 109). But the 1dB step IR codes are similar to NEC but not quite the same. You can recognize these because they have 4 hex pairs. If you use the Main codes (rather than e.g. Zone 2), the 3rd byte is always 50 (80 decimal). If you want to send some of these codes, use the NEC-f16 3Fixed protocol and enter 80 as the third device. It is available in the 2.02Beta of RMIR. It is probably best to load a dummy upgrade with the NEC-f16 3Fixed protocol, and define keymoves from it to augment the NEC Combo protocol, because 3Fixed can't handle Onkyo's use of both 108 and 109 subdevices.

Other zones or dock or DVD commands use different numbers in the 3rd byte, and for these you'll either need to setup additional dummy upgrades, or use NEC-f16 Official.

The spreadsheet shows all IR signals as NEC1, but actual Onkyo remotes send some signals like volume or cursors as NEC2, which probably gives a different repeating behavior. If you find that using NEC1 signals gives undesired repeating behavior, you can use the NEC 4DEV Combo protocol, and the Onkyo Super Master in the Audio section is a good starting point. However, I don't think your 8910 has this protocol built in, and it is pretty big.
andyross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started setting up the receiver today and have it roughly hooked up. I modified a few macros on the TV's code to now use one of the HDMI inputs for some old composite devices that the receiver now upconverts. Tomorrow I'll see about updating the receiver code so I can better control it.

At least with it's own remote, hitting one of the device keys does not automatically turn on the receiver. On the other hand, it did seem to quickly recognize a change right after the power on, so hopefully it won't be too difficult. I'm not looking into controlling too much right now. Just selecting the correct input, volume, and power to start.

I'll look at the NR609 code, since it should be exact! A slightly tricky thing is that the 8910 is programmed using KM & IR, but I'm using RMIR for the 05B. I have to do everything twice anyways. Gives me something to do and an excuse to stay away from the stores!
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough setup so far, and the upgrade is generally working.

Some minor notes:
There is POWER and Power. The one labeled "Power" is actually the discrete Power ON.
EFC 4, Sub 2, is Direct Tune enable (used by the Tuner so you can type in the frequency.)

I do have to send the power on before a device select, but it is handling even a fast macro, at least if I try it shortly after powering it off. I'll have to see if it goes into deep sleep or something if I let it sit off for awhile. My TV is like that. On the other hand, 99% of the time I start in cable box mode anyways.
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning out to be a bit more difficult than I expected. It turns out that some of the keys give different codes depending on the mode that is selected. If I'm in NET (Internet music/movies), PORT (iPod), or USB (flash drive or iPod), the cursor and menu keys use Sub Device 2 instead of 190. Even the OBC and EFC are different.

Even worse, there is a Zone2 mode that sends yet ANOTHER set of codes for the device select, mute, and volume!!

Further, some keys are showing a different protocol. Instead of NEC1, it's NEC1-f16. The Misc column in IR shows a note like OBC2=93, when the main OBC is 72. Just how is that supported?
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
This is turning out to be a bit more difficult than I expected. It turns out that some of the keys give different codes depending on the mode that is selected. If I'm in NET (Internet music/movies), PORT (iPod), or USB (flash drive or iPod), the cursor and menu keys use Sub Device 2 instead of 190. Even the OBC and EFC are different.

Even worse, there is a Zone2 mode that sends yet ANOTHER set of codes for the device select, mute, and volume!!

I had already upload an ICT file earlier in this thread that indicated a lot of that already.

eferz wrote:

andyross wrote:
Further, some keys are showing a different protocol. Instead of NEC1, it's NEC1-f16. The Misc column in IR shows a note like OBC2=93, when the main OBC is 72. Just how is that supported?

I'm always told to consult the DecodeIR.html in situations like these.

DecodeIR.html wrote:
However, some manufacturers (especially Yamaha and Onkyo) are breaking the "rule" that the 4th byte should be ~F:8
Version 2.42 decodes these variants by adding suffixes to the protocol name depending on the IRstream:

-f16: D:8,S:8,F:8,E:8 (no relationship between the 3rd and 4th bytes)

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Did you read this post from earlier in this thread?

You should use NEC1 Combo (device 210) for most of the commands, although as mentioned in my earlier post, you can use the NEC 4DEV also. I linked to upgrades that use both approaches that you can use as templates. NEC1 Combo will handle any subdevice, which means that it will send most Main zone signals, all but 1 of the Zone 2 and 3 signals, all Dock signals, and all DVD signals.

All Port signals and some Main/Zone 2/Zone3 signals are NEC1-f16. Main zone uses OBC1 of 80, Zone 2 uses 83, Zone 3 84, and Port uses 72 (as you've posted). OBC2 depends on the individual function.

You should use RMIR 2.02 Beta to generate the NEC1-f16 signals. Assuming you want to put some of these f16 signals on the same device button as the ordinary NEC1 Combo, I would implement these as a separate dummy upgrade and use keymoves to include these in the main upgrade. If you need signals with more than one value of OBC1 (e.g. 80 and 72) use separate dummy upgrades for each OBC1 value.

A sidenote: You can get maximum flexibility by using the NEC1-f16 Official executor, also available in RMIR 2.02 beta. It will allow you to specify all of the Onkyo signals without using keymoves (in fact you can't use keymoves, I suspect). However, the upgrade uses 4 bytes per function, rather than the 2 that the ordinary NEC Combos use.
andyross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if I'll put all of the possible codes into the remote, as it's just too unwieldy and might take 2 different devices to handle the differences. For the most part, I'll just have the basics, and use the original when needed for now. I'll see what extras I might need to add over time.

I'll have to take a closer look at the files to see what is really needed.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
I doubt if I'll put all of the possible codes into the remote, as it's just too unwieldy and might take 2 different devices to handle the differences. For the most part, I'll just have the basics, and use the original when needed for now. I'll see what extras I might need to add over time.

I'll have to take a closer look at the files to see what is really needed.

The Robman has this great saying about programming the remote with a task orientated perspective rather than cramming in all the commands. I can't remember the exact wording he uses but its genius! I wish I can find his post(s) to quote them but the Google Advance Search thinks I need to replace Robman with Rodman and fails. Sad
gardavis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: I just got a similar receiver - TX-NR509 Reply with quote

I imagine the TX-NR509 remote is pretty much the same. I am starting to update my JP1 remote (Radio Shack 15-1994). The RMDU above should help a lot.

Thanks!
Gary Davis
Webuguild.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: