JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New here and looking for help (Scosche controlFREQ remote)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWhizYMe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: New here and looking for help (Scosche controlFREQ remote) Reply with quote

Good Day,
I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place or otherwise breaking some forum etiquette. I am new here and ran across this forum while trying to learn how to reprogram a remote.

The remote is a Scosche controlFREQ Wireless Car & Sport RF Remote for iPod. I no longer have my iPod hooked up the same way in the car so it no longer works the way I want it to. I do, however, want to use the remote in place of the remote that comes with the car stereo (Alpine INA-W910) since it fits so nicely on the steering wheel and its seven buttons control the major functions that I need.

I carefully popped it apart to check if there's a JP1 connector. There isn't one (that would be too easy). It is, after all, a very small remote. Next to the batteries on the circuit board there are 5 exposed points. The points are all in a vertical line, the first four are round and the bottom one is square. Under the points, in very small lettering, it says JP1. This must be a good sign.

At this point, although I have read through the beginner sections here, I lack the knowledge to do this work. This does not seem like the usual kind of stuff that you do here since the remote lacks a plug and appears to only have 5 connectors.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"JP1" is a common label used for "jumpers" on printed circuit boards. It's unlikely that your remote was made by UEI and therefore there's no way to use the JP1 tools to help you re-program it.
cauer29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: New here and looking for help (Scosche controlFREQ remot Reply with quote

GWhizYMe wrote:
Good Day,
I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place or otherwise breaking some forum etiquette. I am new here and ran across this forum while trying to learn how to reprogram a remote.

The remote is a Scosche controlFREQ Wireless Car & Sport RF Remote for iPod. I no longer have my iPod hooked up the same way in the car so it no longer works the way I want it to. I do, however, want to use the remote in place of the remote that comes with the car stereo (Alpine INA-W910) since it fits so nicely on the steering wheel and its seven buttons control the major functions that I need.

I carefully popped it apart to check if there's a JP1 connector. There isn't one (that would be too easy). It is, after all, a very small remote. Next to the batteries on the circuit board there are 5 exposed points. The points are all in a vertical line, the first four are round and the bottom one is square. Under the points, in very small lettering, it says JP1. This must be a good sign.

At this point, although I have read through the beginner sections here, I lack the knowledge to do this work. This does not seem like the usual kind of stuff that you do here since the remote lacks a plug and appears to only have 5 connectors.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

The square pad is denoting pin 1. Normally a JP1 connector has six pins arranged in 2 rows of 3 pins each, but there's no reason it couldn't be laid out in one row, but if there's only 5 pads, we're short one connection. I suppose it depends on precisely what flavor of JP1 this might be. If it's one of the old eeprom based JP1 setups, then it pretty much needs all 6 pins. If it's one of the more modern JP1.3 setups, then only 5 pins are needed and that would make sense.

You can usually tell which is which by the presence/absence of a tiny little 8 pin eeprom chip on the board somewhere. If it has one, it's most likely an older JP1 remote. If it doesn't, it's most likely a JP1.3 remote.

Assuming that it is a JP1.3 remote, the trick will be figuring out which pin is which and matching it up to a JP1.3 cable's 2 x 3 connector layout. Ground should be the easiest one to figure out. Using some sort of continuity tester, measure between each of the exposed pads and the - terminal of the battery. Whichever pad that turns out to be, needs to go to pin 3 on a JP1.3 cable. It might also give us a clue as to how to translate the other pins.

If it was a normal full sized remote with visible LED for user feedback, I'd next try momentarily grounding each pad through a 100 ohm resistor to see which pad evokes 2 flashes on release. If there is such an LED on this remote, then the pad identified is reset and goes to pin 2 on a JP1.3 cable.

I suppose it might be worth just taking a wild guess and say that the pins match up one for one, but skipping pin 5 on the JP1.3 cable. So:

1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 4
5 - 6

Your remote pad number on the left and a standard JP1.3 cable pin on the right.

The only other semi-obvious arrangement that I can think of, is if they skip the JP1.3 cable's VDD pin and then match up like this:

1 - 2
2 - 3
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 6

If that is how it's setup, then not all JP1.3 cables can be made to work. The most modern USB based JP1.3 cables could be made to work, but older designs may not, as they rely on getting VDD from the JP1.3 connector.

A.A.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey AA, I would want to see more evidence than just the JP1 jumper label that this is a UEI remote before going to the effort of soldering up a connection on it.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Googling it looks like it is nothing but a two-part iPod docking station, where the two parts communicate by using an unknown, proprietary RF protocol. There is not even IR involved here. Trying to misuse the first part as more or less a universal remote control, is not likely to be easy....

As Rob said, almost every PCBs denotes its jumpers by JP1, JP2, JP3, just as the resistors are labeled by R1, R2, R3,... , be it DVD-players, washing machines, intercontinental robots, or remote controls. Wink
cauer29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
From Googling it looks like it is nothing but a two-part iPod docking station, where the two parts communicate by using an unknown, proprietary RF protocol. There is not even IR involved here. Trying to misuse the first part as more or less a universal remote control, is not likely to be easy....

As Rob said, almost every PCBs denotes its jumpers by JP1, JP2, JP3, just as the resistors are labeled by R1, R2, R3,... , be it DVD-players, washing machines, intercontinental robots, or remote controls. Wink

I agree that it looks like an RF remote, especially since the OP said it was. As for 5 pads in a row, with the first one a square pad, I do not believe it is for "jumpers". A connector yes, but not jumpers. Yes, I'm aware that UEI call their connector JP1, though they never actually say it's for jumpers. It's a bastardization since the term "jumper" normally only applies to connections from one place to another on the same PCB.

I'm certain that the 5 pads in a row with the first one square, is for a connector to some other device and not "jumpers" within this PCB.

A.A.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was just that the only clue that this might be a JP1 remote was the JP1 label on the PCB and I personally consider it highly unlikely that it really is a JP1 remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: