JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS-2116 interface bad or something else?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: RS-2116 interface bad or something else? Reply with quote

Hi - I've been JP1'ing for a number of years now, using a couple of RS-2116s with Extender 3.

I just upgraded my whole AV setup, and dug out my JP1 stuff to repro the 2116s. IR.exe identifies the remote correctly but when I try to save the remote contents to a file I get this message:

"It appears that the interface failed midway into the operation. This problem can occur if the interface is faulty or if the EEPROM you are trying to read is larger than $8000 (the maximum size supported by IR)."

When I do an upload, I get "Data read back is different than in remote."

If the interface were bad, how would it properly identify the remote?

I did a MFR RESET with no success.

I'm using IR 8.03. Since it's been so long since I've JP1'ed, could the more recent PC OS or JP1 software be causing issues with my remote?

I think I've forgotten a lot since I last worked with JP1 Crying or Very sad

I want to exhaust all possible reasons for this before I bite the bullet and order a new JP1 interface...

Any ideas anyone?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a possibility. If you are using a USB cable, then it most likely uses a Delcom chip. These chips have a design fault which makes them work poorly with some USB host controllers. If you are using a USB cable, and have changed computers from one that previously worked, I recommend to download the WinUSB instructions, and read the FAQ, paying attention to the section "Do I have OHCI or UHCI?"

If you do have OHCI, then you should follow the rest of the instructions to install the WinUSB driver (which replaces the Delcom driver).

Additionally, you will probably need version 0.031 of jp1usb.dll for proper operation with IR 8.03. (nothing less than 8.03 will work with WinUSB).
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll get right on it. My cable is one of Tommy Tyler's and yes, it uses the Delcom chip.

Interestingly, I've been able to upload a functional TV device to my remote, even though it tells me the data read back doesn't match what was written.

Plus, I was ecstatic to download the latest RM and find out how far it's come since the original java version, and seems to incorporate IR within it. Right now I'm relearning it and struggling with the error message "No RDF matches signature starting"

Like I said, I've been away for a while so I've forgotten a ton, and recent changes have me feeling like a newbie all over again. I'll probably have a few more posts about my travails as I proceed....

... chico

Last edited by chico_woodhill on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...quick Qs:

where do I find winUSB, at Microsoft? Just making sure there isn't a JP1 version of the zip file.

Also, where do I put jp1usb.dll? I don't see an older version on my machine. EDIT: FOUND IT!

Thanks again...

Last edited by chico_woodhill on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and one more. I have a UHCI controller (Macbook Pro running Parallels). Should I still install winUSB?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WinUSB drivers are on this page. You'll need to determine if you have a 32 or 64 bit OS.
Microsoft supplies the driver, but the installation details are specific to the Delcom chip.

Your symptoms sound similar to the behaviors that are fixed by WinUSB. But I doubt anyone has tried it with Macbook and Parallels.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Hmmm. The winUSB install instructions say:

Quote:

4. Click the plus sign next to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
5. Right click on "USB IO Controller".
6. Click "Update Driver....". The Update Driver Software wizard will open.

But I don't have a "USB IO Controller". I've got the Delcom driver, a Generic USB Hub, and "Intel 8280 USB Universal Host Controller 2658" and two "USB Composite Devices", plus USB printing and Root Hub support devices.

Not sure what to do here....
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Delcom driver is currently assigned to the Delcom chip. I'm not sure what to do here, but I would be inclined to right click, select Uninstall, remove the interface, wait a bit, and then plug it back in. Hopefully this will trigger the Update Driver routine. There is a possibility that the computer will fix your "error" and silently reinstall the Delcom driver. We can deal with that also, if necessary.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whataya know. I installed the .inf file over the Delcom driver, it took, and now...I can read and write from my 2116 remote! At least it appears to work...more testing to follow.

If all goes well, I won't be asking for more help. Fingers crossed!

Thanks.... chico
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: