JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Official update for Onkyo receiver and questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To assign an EFC,
Make sure that the remote isn't in SmartControl mode. Choose the device button.
1) Press and hold Setup until 2 blinks
2) Enter 994 (should get 2 blinks)
3) Tap Setup
4) Enter the 5 digit EFC
5) Tap the key you want to assign the EFC to.
The remote should blink twice to indicate the procedure worked.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
To assign an EFC,
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands

I have a quick question. Is there an advantage one way or another in programming a JP1 with EFC keys or a JP1 cable?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a cable is easier and always more powerful. But some people don't have a cable, or like in this case, we don't have the software tools to communicate with the OP's remote yet.
madmalkav

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doesn't work. No operation with the 1298 code will work, nor the predefined ones, not the EFC I inputed directly, nor the EFC saved on a key with a 994. Weird.

PS: this week will try to hunt for a cheap JP1.3 remote and forget to use the 7960 for this.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have information on the 7960 remote but it sounds like this remote is supposed to contain the Audio/1298 code, but it sounds like the code was being accepted and acknowledged with the double blink.

I have one other HIGHLY UNLIKELY thought would be that this remote could possibly had the Aud button repurposed. If the AMP button had been reassigned to TV or VIDEO via a *9xx command in the past. It could be that TV/1298 or Video/1298 could be in play here. I couldn't find the code for this in the quick guide to 9xx commands, but I know I've done it manually.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Using a cable is easier and always more powerful. But some people don't have a cable, or like in this case, we don't have the software tools to communicate with the OP's remote yet.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks! I just thought there could have been some sort of advantage in using EFCs that could not be addressed by the cable. Didn't realize this particular remote wasn't compatible with the current tools.

While we're at it though, is there an advantage one way or another in programming a JP1 remote with the modem thingy over the cable?
madmalkav

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

I have one other HIGHLY UNLIKELY thought would be that this remote could possibly had the Aud button repurposed. If the AMP button had been reassigned to TV or VIDEO via a *9xx command in the past.

I haven't done anything with this remote but seting amp to 1298 and try to send EFCs, haven't used any single 9xx command until I got suggested to try the 994 to assign the EFC to a key.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
3FG wrote:

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks! I just thought there could have been some sort of advantage in using EFCs that could not be addressed by the cable. Didn't realize this particular remote wasn't compatible with the current tools.

Let me expand on that,

No cable - disadvantages
*EFC's only work if there is a built in setup code that formats the rest of the signal so not all equipment can be controlled.
*Its difficult to know why something isn't working because you can't see what is in the remote. Could be a legacy keymove, or a device type assignment problem.

Advantages of using a cable.
*You can SEE what is going on, you don't need to rely on your imagination.
*You can add setup codes that are not in the remotes.
*You can add special protocols and extenders to do the 'Cool' Jp1 stuff.
*You can use regualr keys that may not be available for keymoves and macros
*You can use phantom devices ie, the 6 device 6820 is the same internally as the 10 device 10820, so there are 4 phantom devices that
*You can use phantom keys in macros

Quote:

While we're at it though, is there an advantage one way or another in programming a JP1 remote with the modem thingy over the cable?

With the modem thingy you can't extract the E2 information, so you can't SEE what is already there. The WAV is one way communication. You can send it to the remote, but you can't retrieve it from the remote.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmalkav wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

I have one other HIGHLY UNLIKELY thought would be that this remote could possibly had the Aud button repurposed. If the AMP button had been reassigned to TV or VIDEO via a *9xx command in the past.

I haven't done anything with this remote but seting amp to 1298 and try to send EFCs, haven't used any single 9xx command until I got suggested to try the 994 to assign the EFC to a key.

Too bad, it WAS a long shot.
madmalkav

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really weird. Only thing I could think is that the device really expects a 4Dev Combo signal and it is capable of telling it apart from other NEC variants. But, as I know nothing about how this protocols works in the lower level, I don't know if that is really possible.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Let me expand on that

Thank you, Vicky, for the stellar explanations. Once again you've helped me get a better understanding of differences of JP1. You're like my very own JP1 tutor.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmalkav wrote:
It is really weird. Only thing I could think is that the device really expects a 4Dev Combo signal and it is capable of telling it apart from other NEC variants. But, as I know nothing about how this protocols works in the lower level, I don't know if that is really possible.
That's not it. There is no such thing as a 4Dev Combo signal. It's just a way to combine many devices into one. The remote still sends and the device still receives a plain old NEC1 signal. There is no reason the posted procedures and codes shouldn't be working for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: