JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Off Topic TV Audio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Off Topic TV Audio Reply with quote

Do they still make TV's with Audio output so you can actually hear what's being said? We used to run the audio output into the stereo receiver and have poor man's surround sound.

My husband got rid of the ugly rear projection TV and now we can't hear the new TV. Any ideas?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller and/or entry level sets may not have audio outputs, but most of them do.

Many have headphone, RCA analog, and digital (optical and/or coaxial) audio outputs.

If you have cable or satellite, then you could also grab the audio out from the STB.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Topic TV Audio Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Do they still make TV's with Audio output so you can actually hear what's being said?

Yes, my Sony Internet TV has mini-stereo jacks and an optical output coming out from it. LOL

vickyg2003 wrote:
We used to run the audio output into the stereo receiver and have poor man's surround sound. My husband got rid of the ugly rear projection TV and now we can't hear the new TV. Any ideas?

Is it possible that your new TV's audio output is set to either fixed or variable, and you've not adjusted the stereo's or television's audio accordingly?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ideally I'd like A/V output, because its so EASY and no matter what I what my input source it works without a hitch. I think head phone jacks can be turned into A/V output with a special cable, so that works too.

But what can you do with optical output? I suppose I'd need a new stereo receiver. ......

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Well ideally I'd like A/V output, because its so EASY and no matter what I what my input source it works without a hitch. I think head phone jacks can be turned into A/V output with a special cable, so that works too.

But what can you do with optical output? I suppose I'd need a new stereo receiver. ......

In lieu of buying a new stereo receiver, you can purchase an Optical to Stereo converter, like this one: TV Digital Optical Coax to Analog Stereo RCA Audio Converter Adapter 24Bit/192KHz
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that I read the manual, and I see that there is an optical output, so it looks like I'm going to need a converter. I wonder if that converter will introduce a lag. I like to have both the TV and the stereo on. I see that the manual has a lot of discretes codes listed, but I see that Rob's upgrade already has everything I need.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most TV sets have RCA audio outs. If you don't have RCA outs (which I assume is what you're looking for) but you do have a digital optical out and a headphone jack, you could absolutely use it, you just need a cable that has a mini-jack on one end and RCA plugs on the other. The only drawback of this method is that it will kill the sound from the TV speakers, but maybe that's what you want.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Most TV sets have RCA audio outs. If you don't have RCA outs (which I assume is what you're looking for) but you do have a digital optical out and a headphone jack, you could absolutely use it, you just need a cable that has a mini-jack on one end and RCA plugs on the other. The only drawback of this method is that it will kill the sound from the TV speakers, but maybe that's what you want.

I just have the digital optical out. I was hoping that it wouldn't kill the sound from the tV speakers, as we found the TV plus the stereo was a perfect combo, but then I don't know if the decoder would add a delay/echo.

eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I just have the digital optical out. I was hoping that it wouldn't kill the sound from the tV speakers, as we found the TV plus the stereo was a perfect combo, but then I don't know if the decoder would add a delay/echo.

It shouldn't. Transcoding audio in real time doesn't take much processing power. Especially, if you're just going from PCM to analog stereo. I had an old Gefen converter with my old stereo that worked without any lag. I would have sent it to you, but I must have gotten rid of it when I gave away the old stereo system. Crying or Very sad
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Monoprice to have quality goods at a very low price. Maybe this will work: Optical to R/L RCA

Note that it won't work if the TV is sending 5.1
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:

Hmm, I wonder how I would tell that.

eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
3FG wrote:

Usually it depends on the source media or channel. Some TVs will allow you configure the optical output as necessary, setting it to PCM will limit it to two channels. Dolby Optical can expand from stereo to 5.1 multichannel.

Just in case yours doesn't have this setting, this one will support 2 channel LPCM and up to 5.1 channels Dolby Digital. This looks like the one I used to have.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5980
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, what is the brand and model of the TV in question?
cauer29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
3FG wrote:

Usually it depends on the source media or channel. Some TVs will allow you configure the optical output as necessary, setting it to PCM will limit it to two channels. Dolby Optical can expand from stereo to 5.1 multichannel.

Just in case yours doesn't have this setting, this one will support 2 channel LPCM and up to 5.1 channels Dolby Digital. This looks like the one I used to have.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5980

If the TV can be configured to output 2 channel LPCM over toslink, then you can go much cheaper with:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

This one does both coax and toslink, but monoprice used to carry a toslink only version that was even cheaper.

A.A.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cauer29 wrote:
If the TV can be configured to output 2 channel LPCM over toslink, then you can go much cheaper with:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

This one does both coax and toslink, but monoprice used to carry a toslink only version that was even cheaper.

It's funny you mentioned that, since my reply was in retort of 3FG recommending that very same device. Wink

3FG wrote:
I find Monoprice to have quality goods at a very low price. Maybe this will work: Optical to R/L RCA <-- here

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: