JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hello / Good Bye...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Hello / Good Bye... Reply with quote

I want to say thanks for all the years of support and hand holding that many have done to help me enjoy my home entertainment system!
From former hardware like the RePlay DVR and Toshiba HD-DVD players I find that I must move on to another programmable remote line.

Mainly due to:
(1) Changes from JP1.0 to JP1.3.
(1) I find that most of my current hardware is not supported in full with } in device codes { so I am having to fully program and have run out of memory.
(2) Due to the new 'HIGHER IR' range of the DirecTV HD-DVR's can not seem to fully operate these with out troubles.
(3) The use of FOUR COLORS MULTI-FUNCTION buttons on many new device OEM remotes and on one device required me to try to program in over 16 buttons to duplicate the actions of these four buttons.

I have listed in the market my remotes and if they do not sell here with in about two weeks will move to eBay.
But would prefer to sell to somebody that knows what they are getting.

:David
mark60050

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hello / Good By... Reply with quote

David, Can I ask which remote brand meets your criteria? Just curious. -Mark

DavidEC2955 wrote:
I want to say thanks for all the years of support and hand holding that many have done to help me enjoy my home entertainment system!
From former hardware like the RePlay DVR and Toshiba HD-DVD players I find that I must move on to another programmable remote line.

Mainly due to:
(1) I find that most of my current hardware is not supported in full with } in device codes { so I am having to fully program and have run out of memory.
(2) Due to the new 'HIGHER IR' range of the DirecTV HD-DVR's can not seem to fully operate these with out troubles.
(3) The use of FOUR COLORS MULTI-FUNCTION buttons on many new device OEM remotes and on one device required me to try to program in over 16 buttons to duplicate the actions of these four buttons.

I have listed in the market my remotes and if they do not sell here with in about two weeks will move to eBay.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New $15 JP1.3 remotes solve all your posted issues. Many can be solved with your current remote tweaking protocols and examining your setup. For example, the most recent DirecTV protocol is a lot smaller. Realize that JP1 and DirecTV remotes are both UEI and use exactly the same "higher range" signals (I admit I don't know what you're referring to since all DirecTV boxes use the same codes and frequency).

I personally found other solutions like harmony and others sorely lacking and recently sold my 700. For example, the ones you are considering have only a few devices and can't do one button macros (sequences) at all. If you install the stand-alone software, you lose 2 devices but gain 5-step sequences. Coming from JP1 you'll be very frustrated with harmony's limitations, but will love the ability to put additional functions on the LCD.
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello / Good By... Reply with quote

My wife loves her new 'Harmony 650', it is light weight and fits her hand, it also has the FOUR COLOR MULTI-FUNCTION BUTTON(S) buttons and single button "TV", "MOVIE",... yes it is limited to five devices but I was able to stretch it to six by teaching/adding my HD-DVD commands to my TV's setting. Which means this remote controls all but one device in my living room and that is my Magnavox DVD+R/VHS machine.. who's codes I have never been able to capture with my JP1 remotes, but the Harmony has the command set and does work the device correctly I had to choose one device to leave off, I may try teaching its commands and double up a device.

And yes a new JP1.3 might do what I want.. but I would also have to invest in a JP1.3 cable which I currently do not have so that would add to the total cost.

The DirecTV HD-DVR's 21/22/23/24 use two IR frequency ranges (and of course RF but not talking about that..) and while you are able to use the older lower ranges for most every day actions.. too many times my wife has to send the commands more than once to get the device to work. (The IF flashed on the front of the DVR each time the commands were sent, so I know the remote is sending and the DVR is receiving.)

mark60050 wrote:
David, Can I ask which remote brand meets your criteria? Just curious. -Mark

DavidEC2955 wrote:

Mainly due to:

PS: I have been using for close to three years a Harmony 980 with a custom color background to give me the look of the FOUR COLOR MULTI-FUNCTION BUTTON(S) and have been using a H688 in my office for a year, did not know it till a few weeks ago the H688 that I have is a 'China Clone' but Logitech/Harmony allows owners to access their remote data base as they can not tell it is not one of their official 6xx line of remotes.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out for you. I tried, but never could adjust to harmony. My family liked harmony, but there were some things I could never get it to do, like the long macros I needed to toggle captions on my satellite box. I've got to have my 4 colored buttons as well, so I use atlases, radio shack 13x series and RCAs. I went so far as to dye the buttons on one of my old JP1 remotes.

That's interesting about the harmony clone.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
That's interesting about the harmony clone.

Looking at eBay, it appears there are a ton of 688s being sold from China for much below MSRP. Interesting...

I would love to have an LCD, but still prefer the flexibility of my Atlas remotes.

xnappo
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway to tell the China clones apart from the real thing?
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
Looking at eBay, it appears there are a ton of 688s being sold from China for much below MSRP. Interesting...

I'm curious, what would the MSRP be for a discontinued product which was released seven years ago?

The Robman wrote:
Is there anyway to tell the China clones apart from the real thing?

There was no mention in the support page for the Harmony® 688 Advanced Universal Remote. I guess since the device is functional as the real one, the only way to tell is if you were denied the discount from the trade-in program.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
xnappo wrote:
I'm curious, what would the MSRP be for a discontinued product which was released seven years ago?

Okay, I should have said being sold 'new' and shipping from China. Point is they are obviously counterfeit.

xnappo
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
Okay, I should have said being sold 'new' and shipping from China. Point is they are obviously counterfeit.

Rob does make a good point, how does one tell if it is counterfeit? Cause if someone can buy this H688 for $40.74 then they could trade it in for a 20% - 25% trade-in discount towards a $349.99 remote like the Harmony 900 or 1100 which would at least be a $69.99 discount on a brand-new boxed remote from Logitech.com
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though that seller is US based, the fact that he's selling "brand new" remotes without packaging and without a Harmony warranty leads me to believe that he got these remotes from China, so if the Chinese remotes are fakes, these are probably fakes too.

Are there any forums for the Harmony remotes where somebody has put a fake side by side with the real thing to see what the differences are?
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Even though that seller is US based

I was actually talking about this one(China based):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230618955646

But yeah, same thing. No real box, warranty..

Actually kinda tempting Very Happy

xnappo
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Even though that seller is US based, the fact that he's selling "brand new" remotes without packaging and without a Harmony warranty leads me to believe that he got these remotes from China, so if the Chinese remotes are fakes, these are probably fakes too.

Now, I realize that China is the counterfeit king country in the world. Isn't it also coincidental that most of the products (like the Harmony Remotes) are manufactured in China? Couldn't it be possible that some entrepreneurial person purchased a bulk of these remotes in a factory clearance and is now reselling them through eBay?
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Now, I realize that China is the counterfeit king country in the world. Isn't it also coincidental that most of the products (like the Harmony Remotes) are manufactured in China? Couldn't it be possible that some entrepreneurial person purchased a bulk of these remotes in a factory clearance and is now reselling them through eBay?

Well, I'll buy one and we can find out if you want to put some $$ on the chances of that Very Happy

xnappo
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
Well, I'll buy one and we can find out if you want to put some $$ on the chances of that Very Happy The one I pointed out doesn't even have the Logitech logo at the bottom (conveniently hidden in the main picture, but visible in the in-description pics to say 'Smart State Technology 688' instead of 'Logitech'.

I believe 2004 is about the time when Logitech acquired Intrigue Technologies (who is the originator of the Harmony Remotes). At that time the remotes like the SST-668 had "model shifts" to H668 during the era of transition. At this time some of the remotes were only re-branded by Logitech on the box, but still had the original Intrigue Technologies hardware inside.

Here's a link to an old Cnet review of the H668 aka SST-668 fo mo info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: