JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samsung PCK5315R TV - convergence issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Samsung PCK5315R TV - convergence issue Reply with quote

I have a rear projection TV (Samsun pck5315R) that I has been josseled through 3 household moves. When I was playing with my new toys, I noticed that the convergence is out of wack in the lower right hand corner. I can see the Red/Blue around white print in this area.

In the convergence adjustment that is available through the normal menu looks fine, the big + is white all the way around.

It seems to me that when I was playing around with the EFC's 10 years ago, that I got myself into a service menu where I could adjust that.

Is that true or am I hallucinating?

How do I enter that menu, and do I dare?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,
You probably did make it into the service menu (SM), but for convergence you want to be in the convergence menu. Generally it's not recommended that novices go there, because you can do damage. Also, navigation of the menu systems can be confusing and a wrong button push might screw things up. You might try and locate a service manual for your set. Try these vendors:
J & J Electronics: 1-800-627-4368
Fox International: 1-800-321-6993
Hermans: 1-800-938-4376
Amkotron: 1-800-344-3882

All that said, here some instructions for convergence adjustments:

"I've calibrated quite a few of the Samsung rear projection CRT's and have always been able to get the geometry nearly perfect. Direct view CRT's can be harder then rear projectors and the geometry is more susceptible to parallax error (geometry changes with respect to sitting position).

One thing, some TV's have the ability to save separate geometry settings for SD and HD and some don't. Some have the ability to save FINE geometry settings for SD and HD but then have master COURSE settings that are shared between SD and HD. If I recall the Samsung CRT's usually have separate FINE but shared COURSE. You will have to experiment to test this yourself (unless someone here knows better then I do).

On the Samsung rear projectors to get into the FINE geometry service section is a little weird and navigation is even weirder. I am reluctant to post instructions on this simply because it's so confusing. The info I have provided below is piecemeal at best and is honestly not sufficient unless you already have some experience with such matters. I�m providing the info below to illustrate the general flavor of what is required to make these adjustments. If you want to try this, then please buy a service manual with full instructions.

If you adjust FINE parameters incorrectly then bad things can happen!

To enter the FINE geometry mode turn the TV on and allow it to warm up at least 30 minutes. Then press

"mute-1-8-3"

When you are in this geometry mode the remote control operates differentially. Below is a labeled illustration of functions. Text inside of �_� indicate the corresponding button on the remote to execute the command.

�7� R-SELECT - Press to select RED color.

�8� G-SELECT - Press to select GREEN color.

�9� B-SELECT - Press to select BLUE color.

�+100� R-MUTE Press to mute RED color.

�0� G-MUTE - Press to mute GREEN color.

�Pre-CH� B-MUTE - Press to mute BLUE color.

�3� CANCEL KEY - Press to revert to the previous data during the Convergence Adjustment.

�4� LINE SHIFT - Press to move a line up/down or left/right.

�2� FACTORY DATA SELECT BUTTON - Press to call the factory default values.

�TV/Video� H/V DIRECTION SELECT BUTTON - Press to switch the cursor direction horizontally or vertically.

�Add/Erase� SAVE BUTTON - After the Convergence Adjustments are completed, press to save data.

�S Mode� 13 EXIT BUTTON - After the Convergence adjustments are completed, press to exit to TV mode.

�Mute� MOVE CURSOR FORWARD - Press to move the cursor right or down.

�P.Mode� MOVE CURSOR REVERSE - Press to move the cursor left or up.

�CH & VOL� CONVERGENCE PICTURE MOVE BUTTON

This all applies to the rear projection CRT�s so everything may not work exactly as described to all Samsung models or your direct view sets. Again, I recommend a service manual before attempting these adjustments. Usually a service manual is not very explicit in describing how to make adjustments; the manuals usually only tell you what adjustments are available. However, the Samsung geometry system is so weird and complicated that in their service manuals Samsung actually walks you through step by step exactly how to properly perform FINE adjustments. There are also tons of illustrations and diagrams.

Good luck with this but please get a service manual!

craigr"
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. That sounds terrifying.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: