JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beta testers needed for RCA RCRP05B extender
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Beta testers needed for RCA RCRP05B extender Reply with quote

Oh, now I've gone and done it again. I've been working on this damned thing for 6 months now and I've finally gotten it to the state where I think it works.

I've done very limited testing and all of my previous beta cautions still prevail. But this one is different in that I've implemented the 89xx style HT set up (i.e. Dev_CBL, Set_Trans, etc) so that's all new. I've run my debug stuff through it and I think it sets the keysets right so now it's time to get others to play.

I'm not going to post it here just yet, but those of you who know how to get ahold of me can get your hands on it. If you're really interested in playing, drop me a PM with your private email and I'll send you a copy.

Report all bugs that you find here
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one known bug in V0.02. It does not flash an LED when you change devices (i.e. if you push one of the device buttons, it does nothing)

All of the device changing is going on and doing what it should, but there is just no LED change. It's already on my list of things to fix.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Bill, you've been working hard!
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really... It's finding the time that is an issue

I did the initial port back in June or so and then did the changeover to the 89xx style HT mode in November but hadn't had time to do most of the other work including actually making it do something till recently.

All in all, the remote is similar enough to the Atlas that the port wasn't that hard. It's got a new VPT and CPT method (with a table of devices) that makes for very few free registers to use in the extender so I had to shift things around a bit, but other than that not too much work.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One RDF issue right off the bat: what should be Phantom8 is instead mislabeled as a second Phantom7.

Also, with the extender installed, I discovered a problem with my Shift-Device macros to power on my equipment. Most of them are OK, but I'm no longer able to assign a macro to Shift-DVR. In fact, it appears that I can't use the shift key with any key code >= $40. So I'm guessing this is a sacrifice that had to be made in order to support XShift?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill.
I really like the 8910 keysets style and was looking forward to get the extender considering 1 byte left.
I haven't yet reached the point of using this, but the extinstall translation is fine, with the same caveats that apply to Atlas.
One thing we might all use at some point is the old vs new key numbers. No big deal to change reading the RDFs or Notes on keymoves and things.

But one that just hit me is Shift-DVR can't be translated. Becomes key 194 and I can't shift-DVR. No issue here, since it'll go into LKP anyway. But I thought I'd mention the usual keymapping prcedures needed.

Edit: R2-M0, sorry, I see you just posted the same thing, I didn't read it before posting my stuff. I sent Bill email about two Phantom7 keys. Not sure it's his issue.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
I sent Bill email about two Phantom7 keys. Not sure it's his issue.

It's a simple typo on line 132 of Bill's RDF file, where he lists out all the phantom keys. Just change the line from...
Code:
Phantom1=$68:Shift+Xshift,Phantom2,Phantom3,Phantom4,Phantom5,Phantom6,Phantom7,Phantom7,Phantom9,Phantom10,

to
Code:
Phantom1=$68:Shift+Xshift,Phantom2,Phantom3,Phantom4,Phantom5,Phantom6,Phantom7,Phantom8,Phantom9,Phantom10,
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't make a new keymove for AUD/xshift-Day+ because it becomes AUD/Dev_Cbl

Thanks R2-M0, I'll change the phantom thing.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another key conflict - Phantom10 vs Dev_CBL

I wanted to make the standard default keysets macro on Phantom10 before tweaking more, like this:
Phantom10: Set_Trans;Set_Chan;Set_PIP;Set_Menu;Set_Other
to use on other devices and just giving them Set_Vol as in 8910
Can't do it on Phantom10. Becomes Dev_CBL. Phantom9 is fine. Remote doesn't care, so I don't either.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to delete Phantom10 as it has the same address as Dev_CBL.

If the Xshift mask in the general section is $40, then that makes Day+ ($31) xshift to $71 which is the same as Dev_CBL. The default shift mask appears to be $80, so that puts shift-Day+ at $B1 which is ok.

If the intent was to squeeze the xshifts into $43 thru $79, then any keys $28 or higher need to be restricted from xshift because they will overlap all the phantoms and dev_ keys at $68 through $79.

Bill, can the xshifts be moved to a higher bank, or should we just add xshift restrictions?

Also can we put DiscreteOff at $3F? RM ends up with 2 keymoves (primary and xshift) if we leave it at $C0. Don't know if this is an RM bug or not.

Another thing to consider is that F1 and F2 are in one of the button maps. Don't know if anything could be walking on those, or if it even matters.

EDIT: Need to xshift restrict $01 and $02 as well.

Last edited by mdavej on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
R2-M0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are definitely a few keycode collision oddities in the current version of the extender.

ElizabethD wrote:
Can't make a new keymove for AUD/xshift-Day+ because it becomes AUD/Dev_Cbl

Day+ has a keycode of $31. XShift is set to be $40. So $31+$40 = $71, which (sure enough) is mapped to Dev_CBL.

ElizabethD wrote:
Another key conflict - Phantom10 vs Dev_CBL

Phantom1 is set to hex $68, with each subsequent phantom key one position higher. Sure enough, that places Phantom10 at hex $70.

Another problem is that dev5, dev6, and DVR already have keycodes of $40, $41, and $42 respectively. With XShift set at $40, you would end up with dev6 colliding with XShift-TV and DVR colliding with XShift-Setup. I'm assuming that's why those three are defined as ":Shift+Xshift" in the RDF, and that's also why we can't assign anything to shifted versions of those buttons.

Edit: Sorry, looks like mdavej reached the same conclusions I did, but was a little bit faster to the submit button Wink
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand.

Working within the current key map restrictions but before changes mdavej suggests I wanted to run through few things and generally see no issues.

Existing macros on Macro1 and Macro2 work.
ToadTog works.
LKP works.
Pause works.
Shift & Xshift relocation to On Demand works.
Making slightly different 'default' macros followed by LKP to synchronize various inputs works.

I haven't done DSM yet.
I haven't used phantom devices yet, but will, since I need them a lot.

I think this will be a fine extender once Bill fixes the key clashes.

I'm working through IR.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops: Xshift is supposed to be $C0

This is why all of these problems are happening. This is an RDF issue
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, you may want to remove from readme.txt about the keymove for deactivating, since it's not here, as there is just one way to deactivate.

Question: since I relocated Setup to OnDemand, LKP of OnDemand deactivates. Is that how you wanted it? For some reason I thought it'll be tied to the real Setup button forever, no matter where I put it. Wishful thinking on my part?

Also, is this information current - "While operating as an unextended remote, the LED will blink twice for every keypress to indicate that the extender is not being used."
It doesn't blink twice for every keypress when deactivated. (Neither did Atlas)
R2-M0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Bill, you may want to remove from readme.txt about the keymove for deactivating, since it's not here, as there is just one way to deactivate.

Huh. Holding the setup button for 4 seconds seems to deactivate it for me.

I've also gotten ToadTog working, along with DSMs. Want to play with LKPs (instead of shifts) on the device keys for my theater set up macros, but that'll have to wait for another night.

BTW, my "fav" button is behaving the same way it did on the unextended remote, just sending the appropriate "fav" signal to my cable DVR. That's fine for my setup, and the way I personally want it to work. But I'm not seeing the "Scan/Fav" tab in IR that is mentioned in ReadMe.txt.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: