JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-3920 RDF file required
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: URC-3920 RDF file required Reply with quote

Hello,

I've got a One for all URC-3920 that isn't recognised by Remote master v2.00 with the latest RDFs and maps installed. I've had a look around but can't find anything on how to create an RDF file so I'm hoping someone can help.

The remote is branded by One for all as 'Slim line' and has the signature 3189. It would appear to be internally the same as the four device URC-3940 (the missing buttons are present inside) and presumably the single device URC-3910. There isn't a six pin header fitted but there are pads inside on the solder side of the PCB marked JP1.4.

I've done a number of raw downloads with different settings to figure out key numbers and some of the memory locations, I've uploaded a zip file of the various files and a description of what I did to create them here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9418

From that I've derived the following:

Memory Address range: 0600-10FF

Memory map:

Remote signature 0600-0607, ASCII 3189 3189
Checksum? 0608, 0609
SAT device code (0514h) stored in 060A,060B
TV device code (08B6h) stored in 060C,060D
VCR device code (4E20h) stored in 060E,060F
DVD device code (500Ah) stored in 0610,0611
Current device stored in 0612: 41h=TV, 40h=SAT, 43h=DVD, 42h=VCR
VPT off setting stored in 0613: 00h=off, 04h=on,
VPT setting stored in 0614: 01h=TV, 00h=SAT, 03h=DVD, 04h=VCR
VPT unlocked devices stored in 0615: 0Fh=normal, 07h; DVD unlocked, 03h; VCR unlocked (bitfield)

Macro address space start: 0616

?? 0800-0807: 00 FF 08 06 08 06 00 00

Keys:

Red 1E
1 08
2 09
3 0A
4 0B
5 0C
6 0D
7 0E
8 0F
9 10
0 12
./.. 11
av 13
Green 1F
Rew 22
FF 24
Pause 25
Play 27
Rec 28
Stop 2A
Guide 23
Info 26
exit 29
Yellow 20
Power 03
Menu 01
Vol+ 14
Vol- 17
Mute 15
Ch+ 16
Ch- 19
OK 18
Left 1B
Right 1C
Up 1A
Down 1D
Blue 21

Is that enough to be of use? Wink

If you need any more information let me know and I'll try to figure it out. I've included images of the three Slim Line remotes in the zip file for reference.

Thanks.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have help on the RDF file (yet), but I do have a question about how you are communicating with the remote.
We have seen at least one other remote which is labeled JP1.4 and it has reputedly not been responsive to attempts to communicate with it.

So did you solder in a 6 pin header? What kind of interface have you used-- USB, serial, etc?
exile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a serial interface that I made up from a diagram on here somewhere; it's the JP1.3 flash version with no connection to pin 5. At the moment I've just got a connector soldered onto some short wires, didn't fancy trying to drill the board.

Not had any problems so far, it also works with a URC-7950.

The board in the URC-3920 has test points marked RxD and TxD that correspond to pins on the JP1.4 connector, not sure if that's of any relevance but I can post a picture if you're interested.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a starter upgrade . Bear in mind that I'm very inexperienced at this, but I doubt you'll come to harm which can't be fixed with reset.

You should make some macros that include device buttons to see if I guessed right on the button numbers.

The button maps are unlikely to be correct, except for digit, volume group and ch+/-. These need to be checked by making an upgrade and seeing what signal is actually sent for each button. That will suggest a different order in the button maps. Another approach is to use the Lookup Table to find the standard EFCs for a setup code that you are using, and compare the response of the component to the official setup code and the presumed replicate upgrade.

Speaking of setup codes, I modeled this RDF on the Comcast 1067BX3, because I knew that it had a lot of similarity to your remote. However, the list of setup codes in 3189.rdf is actually for the Comcast. So IR may complain or show your setup codes in red. Either start entering known setup codes into the RDF or comment out (leading #) SetupValidation=Enforce. I think ultimately you'll need to transcribe the setup numbers from the instructions into the RDF. With those, it is possible to guess the PIDs. Note that UEI remotes do not like invalid setup codes.

Also the list of protocol executors is probably wrong in part.

The map file is for the Comcast and is clearly wrong.
RMIR is unlikely to open your IR files, although it may donload from the remote.
exile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I recognise some of the Hex I found in your RDF file!

Remote master now recognises the remote.

The set up codes for the URC-3920 are 5 digit, the '02230' I've got programmed is shown in red in the general tab as '2230'. I see the block of codes in the RDF file and assume this is derived from the list of codes in the manual:
http://www.oneforall.com/uploads/support/29aeb88a8871ed0e7b930baeb3f67ba6.pdf

Is it just a case of distilling all the numbers into a comma separated list? If so how should the codes for the different devices (TV, VCR, SAT, CBL, VAC, VCD/Laser and DVD) be divided up between the four blocks?

Setting a macro in Remote master and uploading it to the remote seems to work - but only after I reprogrammed the device code on the remote after the upload. Just tried the menu button so far, it did respond and switch device correctly - not confirmed if the device buttons match up yet as I've only a limited range of things to point at.

The device I tried loading didn't work and doing the upload followed by a download appeared to show that nothing had been written to the memory. I assume the invalid device codes are what's messing this up.

The VPT device and status is shown correctly in the General tab. Unlocked devices are shown correctly but the names don't match the buttons on the remote, they match the names in the Settings section of the RDF (dev3 instead of DVD etc.), is that a typo or do they need to have those names in the RDF?

I'll try to confirm the button maps once I can upload something.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should search JP1.4 issues before investing too much effort into this. IIRC, no one has been able to get writes to work on a JP1.4 remote.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,
Has anybody else gotten even reads to work on a JP1.4? I thought that exile is the first person to communicate with one at all. In any event, it appear that exile has succeeded in uploading a macro.

exile,
The remote will store the setup codes as 4 digits. The leading 0, 1, or 2 are just used as part of manually entering a setup code. For JP1 remotes, 0 imples sat/cable, 1 implies TV, 2 implies video, 3 is audio.
Internally, these are arranged by the 4 setup code blocks. In the case of the 3920/3940, it appears that there are no built-in "audio" setup codes, so there only needs to be 3 blocks of setup codes.

The RDF file is just a starter. There is lots of details (like naming the devices and device buttons correctly) yet to do.

It is critical that all 4 setup codes listed on the general tab actually exist in the remote, either builtin or added as an upgrade.
exile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mdavej,

I've not had any problems communicating with the remote, only trying to get my head around everything Wink

I don't know if it's luck on my part or an inconsistency with the labelling by OFA. The remote I've got is from the basic end of the range, it doesn't have the same finish as the OAR106G Tommy was having problems with, I suppose they could be always be running different versions of software.

3FG,
I'd not spotted the leading digit when staring at the sea of tiny numbers on the instruction sheet. I'll sort out the numbers from of the pdf so the RDF knows what valid codes are already available.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this stage you can set the RDF to ignore the setup codes section (enforce = off). Just make sure any codes you assign to device buttons are listed in your pdf code list.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of suggestions:
Change the Checksum section to:
[Checksums]
^$008:$00A..$021
^$400:$402..$AFF

Also replace with these:
[DeviceTypes]
SAT = 0,0
TV = 1,1
VCR = 2,2
DVD = 2,3

[DeviceTypeAliases]
SAT = Cable,SAT,Video Acc
TV = TV
VCR = VCR,CD,Tuner,Home Auto,Misc Audio,Phono,Amp
DVD = DVD,Tape,Laserdisc,DAT,PVR
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded an RDF here for the URC-3920.
exile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've uploaded an RDF here for the URC-3920.

That's brilliant, I can upload/download, load new devices and set macros from Remotemaster. Everything seems to work, is there anything else I should do to confirm this?

I've uploaded a map file and an image here.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for testing and uploading the Map and Image file. I've added a reference to the MAP file in the RDF and I've zipped all the files up and updated the RDF location to point to this zip. Thanks.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exile, you're the only person we know of who claims to have talked to a remote that is marked JP1.4. As pointed out, it may be mismarked, but we need to find out. I have just posted a new instruction in the files section HERE that describes how to interrogate a flash remote to get it's processor type and signature. Would you mind running the test and telling us the results?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that at the point where I was setting the baud rate to 38K, it was also necessary to click on Open, even though I had already specified the correct port (4 in my case).

Here are results from 3 already known JP1.3 remotes, done in sequence:
"IS J9V3039IS<J%V,3085*IS<K$V<31793179."
Comcast 1067B, RS 15-135, RCA RCRP05B

Don't forget to do set and clear RTS before disconnecting the cable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: