JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Keymover Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim978

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Keymover Question Reply with quote

I have used OFA remotes for years. I find them affordable, and easy to program. Recently, I entered the world of JP1 programming using IR. My dog sometimes mistakes one of my remotes for her nylabone, and manually reprogramming new remotes was getting to be a bit of a chore. I had some of the same "getting started" problems with IR that others have experienced, so I appreciated the fact that the answers I needed were already posted in these forums. I have saved the configurations of all my remotes ... and I have two unopened OFA 8820s ready to be put into service the next time the dog attacks.

One thing I would like to do (but haven't figured out a way to do) involves the keymover function. What I would like to do is to make the TV format key operate when the remote is in another mode (typically DVD). The problem is I had to program the format key for the TV using advanced codes. It seems that keymover only works with the original key function, not with functions implemented using keymover or learning.

Is there a way to use IR or some other program to change the value of the original key to make this work?

Thanks!
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assign TV/Shift-Format to the function you want. Create a Global Macro on the Format button which will call the function from whichever mode you are in: X_TV, Shift-Format, X_Cancel. You put the function on the Shifted key to avoid calling an endless loop.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Are you using an extender, or just having trouble entering in keymoves using IR or RMIR? Perhaps part of the issue is the unfortunate term"keymove", which sounds as if functionality is being moved from one key to another. Actually a keymove is just an assignment of an EFC (the Hex data, really) to a key. The source of the EFC could be another key (hence keymove), but you can enter it in directly in IR, without reference to any other key.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing I would like to do (but haven't figured out a way to do) involves the keymover function. What I would like to do is to make the TV format key operate when the remote is in another mode (typically DVD). The problem is I had to program the format key for the TV using advanced codes. It seems that keymover only works with the original key function, not with functions implemented using keymover or learning.

A "keycode" style keymove is only going to work with a builtin setup code or an upgrade. A keycode style keymove uses 1 less byte than a regular EFC style keymove.

I've just finished keymoving the TV/format key on to Cable and DVD mode myself. Its very useful and intuitive to have this key available in that mode.

There are a number of ways to go about this. You can CLONE the advanced code keymove, which is the easiest. If you were using an extender and an upgrade than a global macro could easily put it in all modes with a temporary device mode and a little shift cloaking.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
cauer29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:

A "keycode" style keymove is only going to work with a builtin setup code or an upgrade. A keycode style keymove uses 1 less byte than a regular EFC style keymove.

I agree with the first part of that statement, but on at least some remotes (15-100), EFC keymoves use one less byte than keycode keymoves. Perhaps it varies with remote model?

A.A.
Jim978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the posts. I'm not sure if my terminology is up to date (my reference to assigning advanced codes uses a term from instructions I downloaded from hifi-remote in 2001).

Since the format key on my 8820 did not perform that function on the TV in question, I programmed the remote by pressing TV - setup - 994- setup - 00138 - setup. When I connect the remote using IR, the code 00138 shows up under the "key moves" tab with 00138 in the EFC column.

The keymover term comes from the user's guide that came with the remote. My 2001 instructions uses the phrase "copy one key to another" for that operation. I tried to do that by copying the TV/remote onto the DVD/remote key (setup - 994 - TV - format - DVD - format), but it doesn't work. When I press format in DVD mode nothing happens.

I have considered creating a macro, but to do what I want the macro would have to return the remote to the original device mode when the operation is complete and the device mode varies. I don't know if this is possible.

I guess I don't understand the difference between a keycode style keymove and an EFC style keymove. I also don't know is meant by the term CLONE. There is more I don't know ... I just don't know what.

Thanks for your help.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm missing something, this is very simple. All you need to do is add a keymove assigned to DVD Format, double click your TV setup code in the list and enter the EFC. If that doesn't work, post your IR file so we can see exactly what you're doing.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim978 wrote:
Since the format key on my 8820 did not perform that function on the TV in question, I programmed the remote by pressing TV - setup - 994- setup - 00138 - setup. When I connect the remote using IR, the code 00138 shows up under the "key moves" tab with 00138 in the EFC column.
Within IR, you can use the "Clone" button to copy that keymove to another button, for example, the format button under the DVD device.
Jim978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,

I was assuming that it was simple, and that i was just a little simpler. (I had some C programming experience (back in the DOS era), and learned then that most things aren't complicated ... just mysterious.

Thanks for removing the mystery. I entered the key move using IR just as you suggested, and everything works perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who posted answers to my question. This was fun. I think I'm ready to start figuring out what else is out there that I can't figure out on my own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: