JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manufacturers/suppliers of JP1.3 Flash remote devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamzapper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Manufacturers/suppliers of JP1.3 Flash remote devices? Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for replacement remotes for URC-7950 or similar devices.

I presume those newer devices can be programmed with the same program that I used for the 7950 - provided I buy a compatible interface/cable?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE is the list of all known JP1/1.1/1.2/1.3 remotes. UEI (Universal Electronics Inc.) is the manufacturer in all cases.
Dreamzapper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there are a lot of UEI devices not known, or at least absent from the list.

After some googling I found among many others this unit:

http://www.oneforall-int.com/en_UK/product/1/universal-remotes/2/comfort/166/essence-4 Product id is URC 7140.

It looks like it might be useful, but I have no clue abot what type of JP1-? it is.

Besides, I am full of confusion about what JP1 + suffix means.

Looks to me like there are more than one version of JP1. I am using a commercial USB to serial converter and it works fine with the URC-7950. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't work with either Dreambox or Force remotes. That's not so important as long as learning mode works.

I found that learning on a URC 39722 (Force) from a Dreambox remote doesn't work. Whichever key I try to to learn, it returns only one instead of two blinks, indicating that learning failed. But that may be because the Dreambox uses a unique code format. I have a Philips remote that also refuses to learn Dreambox .

But anyway, what interface do I need to program a 7140?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamzapper wrote:
It looks like there are a lot of UEI devices not known, or at least absent from the list.
It's not a list of UEI devices. It is a list of JP1 devices. There are hundreds of UEI remotes that aren't JP1, so they don't belong on the list.

Quote:
After some googling I found among many others this unit:

http://www.oneforall-int.com/en_UK/product/1/universal-remotes/2/comfort/166/essence-4 Product id is URC 7140.

It looks like it might be useful, but I have no clue abot what type of JP1-? it is.
Looks like an nice remote. Get one and let us know if it's JP1 and what type, and I'll add it to the list.

Quote:

Looks to me like there are more than one version of JP1.
It's usually printed on the circuit board. JP1 requires a different interface from JP1.1, 2, and 3.

Quote:
I am using a commercial USB to serial converter and it works fine with the URC-7950. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't work with either Dreambox or Force remotes. That's not so important as long as learning mode works.
How exactly does your commercial USB/Serial interface work directly with a JP1 remote? I didn't know that was possible.

The list tells you exactly what type of JP1 interface the Force and Dreambox remotes have.

Quote:
But anyway, what interface do I need to program a 7140?
If it's not in IR and it's not on the list, you'll have to tell us. If it is JP1, then it's probably JP1.3. It could be JP1.4, or have no JP1 interface at all. You can take a chance and get one, or buy a known JP1.3 remote. If the 7140 turns out to be a JP1 remote, there's a lot of work to do building a new RDF file and a corresponding map and image file.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,
The URC-7950 is a JP1.3 remote, not a JP1. So the serial interface should work with it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamzapper wrote:

UEI changes the way they build remotes every so often. Their older remotes had a separate MCU chip and an EEPROM chip, with all the JP1 activity occurring on the EEPROM chip, so it didn't matter what brand and model of MCU they used because the access to the EEPROM was the same. These remotes are called JP1 or "JP1 (EEPROM)"

Then they switch to using flash based MCU chips, which meant it was no longer necessary to have a separate EEPROM chip. The protocol needed to access the flash chip is completely different to that needed to access the old EEPROM chips. Furthermore, the access method sometimes changes when they switch from one brand of flash chip to another.

JP1.1 indicates a remote with an SST brand flash chip
JP1.2 indicates a remote with Motorola HCS08 flash chip
JP1.3 indicates a remote with Samsung S3F8 flash chip
JP1.4 is a new platform that has no JP1 support yet.

Some JP1 (flash) cables will work with both JP1.1 and JP1.2, but NOT JP1.3, these are usually called JP1.1/2 (Flash) cables.

Some JP1 (flash) cables will work with both JP1.2 and JP1.3, but NOT JP1.1, these are usually called JP1.2/3 (Flash) cables.

You can use a JP1 (Flash) cable with a JP1 (EEPROM) remote if you also use a special "JP1 EEPROM Programming Adapter".
Dreamzapper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll study all the replies, hope they may disperse some of the confusion here;-)

WRT my USB interface:

Looking at the chart I find that the 7950, the device that I've been using it with, is listed as a JP1.3 device. I am afraid I may have been somewhat inaccurate in my reference to JP1 due to my uncertainty about all the various versions.

Many years have passed since I bought the USB device, from a recommendation I found on this forum I believe. It consists of an USB plug with, I presume, some kind of electronics inside, connected to a cable. It is marked TTL 232R-WE

The cable has six wires; they may have been connected to a 9-pins D-sub (serial) connector.

I can see that I am using only four of the wires (green, black, orange yellow) while another orange and a brown are unused.

The wires used are connected to the JP-1plug.

It works with the 7950.

Scanning the list, I find it difficult to decide what remote to go for. since it is intended for my wife, it should be as simple and user friendly as possible. Two-device control is sufficient, even single device capability might do. I like the layout and the buttons on the Dream/Force versions. I've never liked the 7950.

Since it seems that I already have a JP1.3 cable, a 1.3 device would be the logical choice. Learning isn't a must; I can transport the codes via the 7950.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamzapper wrote:
Many years have passed since I bought the USB device, from a recommendation I found on this forum I believe.

Here is the original thread where you got your info about your JP1.3 remote:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9247
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you like the dreambox remotes, the latest Dreambox remotes V5(URC-39940 Signature 10691069) and V6(URC-39931 33063306) are still compatible with your existing JP1 (Flash) cable.
Dreamzapper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

binky123 wrote:
Since you like the dreambox remotes, the latest Dreambox remotes V5(URC-39940 Signature 10691069) and V6(URC-39931 33063306) are still compatible with your existing JP1 (Flash) cable.

Hi, thank you. Got me a DM8000 now and may need to do some tricks with the new remote.

Rolf
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: