JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volunteers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Volunteers Reply with quote

I have now gone through and updated the IR Help file.

I've tried to make it more readable and would like to know what parts of the document are still too muddled to be understandable.

IR Help

Since this is a document for newbies, newbie feedback is valuable.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetstar has helped me with chapters 2 and 3.

I could still use help on other chapters.

If you are going to read this anyway, I'd like the editorial comments. I'd like to make this a better beginners document.

You can PM me or answer here.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
pcrider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Volunteers Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I have now gone through and updated the IR Help file.

I've tried to make it more readable and would like to know what parts of the document are still too muddled to be understandable.

IR Help

Since this is a document for newbies, newbie feedback is valuable.

Bearing in mind that you asked, and this is just a suggestion:
I've been reading the IRHelp pdf file for the last few days. I think its very well written. The only problem I have with it is it doesn't say what to do when things DON'T work.

Understandably it is written to explain how things SHOULD work, but it would be helpfull if exlanations of how things should work were followed with a list of options for when things don't work, ultimately leading to a troubleshooting section at the end of the document.

As an example:
In my particular case I have been working on getting my URC6810B00 to control my magnavox digital converter box. I don't want to turn this thread into my personal problem, so I'll just say I followed the steps for converting from the learned signals into a device using KM, or RM, and it doesn't work.
So a section on where to go when KM or RM doesn't work would be nice, ie:
"If for some reason KM cannot calculate the proper codes, or IR has not output the learned signals correctly you will have to..... or you can..."

Again the file is well written, and this is just a suggestion.

I'll post a seperate post on my personal problem when I am finished digging through the the options I can find on my own.

hope this helps,
PcRider
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you figured out what you did wrong, could you let us know what it was, as that might help us give trouble shooting advice.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved Vicky's post here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=93361#93361

Last edited by The Robman on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky. that excellent post of yours should be made prominently and permanently available. Maybe added to this thread of Rob's:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=83604#83604

or perhaps as its own "Sticky".
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Graham, I have just moved Vicky's post to that thread.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=93361#93361
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments Graham and Rob. I'm glad you think its worthy of sticky status.

PcRider, the thing to do when you run into trouble is to ask for help. My initial response to you was a how to ask for help post. and I'll add that to the IRHelp file like you suggested. You can struggle alone, looking for a problem that may be yours or may be ours, or you can ask for help and have the benefit of all our expertise.

pcrider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Thanks for the compliments Graham and Rob. I'm glad you think its worthy of sticky status.

PcRider, the thing to do when you run into trouble is to ask for help. My initial response to you was a how to ask for help post. and I'll add that to the IRHelp file like you suggested. You can struggle alone, looking for a problem that may be yours or may be ours, or you can ask for help and have the benefit of all our expertise.

I have no idea why you are lecturing me on asking for help. I have no problem asking for help. I was just making a suggestion that I thought would be welcome. I'm not even sure how to respond at this point.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry Steve, didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing you. I meant to add a 1 page section on what to do when you run into trouble. I have written ~108 pages just to show how to do things when they go right. If I tried to describe all the things that need to be done when things go wrong, that part would probably take me 200 pages. The best thing to do when things go wrong is ask.

zhezhang

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great document! Thanks Vickyg2003

One more item that I remember seeing somewhere but not mentioned (I tried, but did not find it) is:

If a key move, and a Micro are assigned to the same key, who overrides whom? (I remember the key move overrides Micro in the target device of the key move, but I fail to find the reference).

Maybe it should be added to the key move or macro section. Just a suggestion.

Zhe Zhang
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhezhang wrote:
A great document! Thanks Vickyg2003

One more item that I remember seeing somewhere but not mentioned (I tried, but did not find it) is:

If a key move, and a Micro are assigned to the same key, who overrides whom? (I remember the key move overrides Micro in the target device of the key move, but I fail to find the reference).

Maybe it should be added to the key move or macro section. Just a suggestion.

Zhe Zhang

Thanks.

That part starts at the very end of page 7 and goes through page 9 of the pdf document. That starting page is also identified as (Chapter1.htm page 5 of 13)

The search order is LKMS
Learned
Keymove
Macro
Setup.

Remember that a special protocol like a DSM, LKP or a Pause is just a keymove and falls into K group.

zhezhang

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing it out.
Blame it on 2 in the morning when I was reading it.
Thanks again.
Zhe Zhang
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: