JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the Shift Key?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ve3lnc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: What is the Shift Key? Reply with quote

There is a lot of discussion of using the shift key for a number of tasks, including shift cloaking, toggling of Yamaha power, etc. But dispite numerous searches, I cannot find out any information about what the shift key is. None of my remotes have a shift key.

When I do a search on shift key I get 677 results.

It might help to have some of these basic terms covered in the FAQ.

But until that time, can I get some help of this topic?

Much thanks,

Steve
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defined in this forum in the Sticky thread "Glossary". In short, the Setup button also functions as a shift key.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I'd like to suggest adding IRHelp to your reading list.

I've covered this pretty well in the Remote Basics section pages 6-8.

Your [Setup] button is the button that you use to start manual 9xx programming when you are initially setting up your remote manually. The labeling of the [Setup] button varies by remote models. It may be labeled [Setup]; [Magic]; [P]; [Set]. If you are not sure check your manual.

Every button on your remote has a keycode. If you were to open your remote and look at the printed circuit board, you could read that keycode. When you do a short press of [Setup] prior to pressing a key, the keycode of the button press is altered by setting a bit. That new keycode is for all practical purposes a different button. It can have macros, keymoves and learns associated with it.

If the shifted function is set up to on a numeric button, when you want to use that function, you'll need to press the [Setup] button twice before pressing the number, otherwise your remote thinks you are trying to send an EFC. This may not be true if you are using an extender. Most extenders disable the [Setup]-EFC functionality and only require a single press of the [Setup] key to access shifted number buttons. Also most extenders let you add a third function to buttons called an xShift.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ve3lnc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vicky, that's a great answer. Maybe you should add a sticky to the JP1 Beginners section pointing to that file. It would have saved me some grief earlier!

Also, I notice on two of my many remotes, that the asterisk key has the word "shift" above it. That was causing part of my confusion.

I am almost ready to release a couple of updates to some devices that aren't in the file section.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3lnc wrote:

I am almost ready to release a couple of updates to some devices that aren't in the file section.

Good, that's a great way to make a contribution to the forums.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: