JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm struggling with 6131ext volume coding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: I'm struggling with 6131ext volume coding Reply with quote

I have an initial, very simple, setup with the exception of what happens to the volume buttons because of what I want to do.
In KM I assigned the 3 volume button functions to vol+ vol- mute for TV.
In IR, my TV device macro redirects those to Denon amplifier by V_AUD. Works fine.

Sometimes I want to press TV/shift-vol+ or - or mute to control the native volume on the TV itself and not redirect to Denon.
So I made a DSM: TV/shift-Vol+ is X_TV, vol+.
Same for the others.
DSMs fell into the keymoves sheet. That's ok. Newly entered, they were behind the macros in IR. I rearranged and now macros come last as they're supposed to. The keymoves should take priority.

But they don't. shift-vol+ still goes to Denon amp.
Is it possible that another bunch of keymoves I have, on TV/XSHIFT-Vol+ and others, to control volume buttons on still another device, causes the DSM not to work?

6131 Extender ReadMe says:
Quote:
While an X_ command is active, it applies to all keys. The usual division into Volume, Transport and Other doesn't apply.

I also tried DSM with both X_TV and V_TV in it. Still goes to Denon amp.

Last edited by ElizabethD on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need a DSM, why can't you just use keymoves? I'm not really that familiar with how extenders work, but if you wanted to do this with an unextended remote, you would set the VPT to the Denon, then program keymoves, in TV mode, that had the TV's volume commands.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought. But the device macro seems to override the simple plain keymoves, so I thought I'll fight it out with DSM, because DSM is a keymove and should take priority.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just redid using the plain keymoves because I wanted to really make sure the new keymoves are before macros in Raw data. They are. Volumes still go to the Denon box. This is odd, I didn't think it would be like this.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: I'm struggling with 6131ext volume coding Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

Sometimes I want to press TV/shift-vol+ or - or mute to control the native volume on the TV itself and not redirect to Denon.
So I made a DSM: TV/shift-Vol+ is X_TV, vol+.
Same for the others.
DSMs fell into the keymoves sheet. That's ok. Newly entered, they were behind the macros in IR. I rearranged and now macros come last as they're supposed to. The keymoves should take priority.

But they don't. shift-vol+ still goes to Denon amp.
Is it possible that another bunch of keymoves I have, on TV/XSHIFT-Vol+ and others, to control volume buttons on still another device, causes the DSM not to work?

I feel quite odd here, helping YOU with macros, since almost everything I know about macros came from you, Laughing

I am not familar with the 6131 extender, but on all the extenders that I work with, if the device selection macro has specified V_AUD, that would apply to the shift and xshift volume keys too.

So if your TV selection mode was
TV: T_TV, V_AUD, O_TV

Then pressing
TV, SHIFT, VOL

is going to look for SHIFT-VOL on the AUD keys, not on the TV keys.

Your solution will depend on how many devices you want to use native punch through on the keys.

For your TV

TV:T_TV, V_TV, O_TV
Define a keymove on vol+ and vol- that
TV/VOL+: AUD/VOL+
TV/VOL+: AUD/VOL-
if the 6131 extender supports shift cloaking, then Shift-Vol+ and Shift-Vol- should not need to have a keymove to get to your native volume.

Hope that helps.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're at the point where we tell noobs "Please upload the offending IR/RMIR file and provide a link to it here."

Same to you Liz! Very Happy

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: I'm struggling with 6131ext volume coding Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
...if the 6131 extender supports shift cloaking, then Shift-Vol+ and Shift-Vol- should not need to have a keymove to get to your native volume.

Vicky, everything you wrote is totally correct for 6131. However, native volume is redirected by a macro, which should be processed AFTER keymoves. I must be making some assumptions or a stupid mistake someplace. Just don't see it.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
We're at the point where we tell noobs "Please upload the offending IR/RMIR file and provide a link to it here."

Same to you Liz! Very Happy

Smile
I didn't think we'd reach the point to need to upload the file. Wanted to spare you the trouble.
OK, both versions included. Neither one works the volumes the way I planned. Both versions send volumes to Denon.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9020

In case not totally clear: in TV mode, I do want the TV/volumes to go to Denon as defined in TV-device macro.
But shift-vol should go to Toshiba TV, as defined in keymoves 44, 45, 46 in both files.
And xshift-vol should go to Panasonic receiver, defined in keymoves 48, 54, 58 in both files.

For IR use: I had to change the RDF because in 6131 the DSM protocol is built-in (DSM=TV/1103:-01FC), so RDF is in the zip file as well.

I can certainly live without all this volume complication. But I wanted to try something like this and am baffled by why it's not working for me.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to make the target device AUD in all your keymoves.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: I'm struggling with 6131ext volume coding Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
...if the 6131 extender supports shift cloaking, then Shift-Vol+ and Shift-Vol- should not need to have a keymove to get to your native volume.

Vicky, everything you wrote is totally correct for 6131. However, native volume is redirected by a macro, which should be processed AFTER keymoves. I must be making some assumptions or a stupid mistake someplace. Just don't see it.

Elizabeth, Download IRHelp
and read the section in getting started about LKM Hierarchy.

Quote:
Wanted to spare you the trouble.
OK, both versions included. Neither one works the volumes the way I planned. Both versions send volumes to Denon.

Well, I for one LOVE the mind candy. With the way the LKM heirarchy works half of your keymoves were not being reached. So I removed the extras. I noticed you had PVR: V_TV, T_PVR, O_PVR

So I left the TV bound keymoves, but they can probably go too.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9021

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Widget/IRscope was shouting "your target is AUD not all those devices".

I didn't hear it till Vicky's answer which helped some but not all. Thanks Vicky. Food for thought galore.
I guess I forgot how it works, also never tried this sort of thing before.

The one minute editing according to what mdavej said is a total fix - and the results are precisely what I want as you can see here:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/217/widgetv5a.png
So simple. And eliminating a ton of keymoves didn't hurt either.
This is a wonderful forum, thanks to all Smile

Now, the time to make few decent macros has arrived, hurray!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have understood how you use the widget for your diagnostic procedures. Graham told me that no two widget users use the widget the same way, and he was so right!

Hopefully you'll create some wonderful macros. I envy you that. I don't anticipate adding any new equipment, and I miss the challenge.

ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm struggling with 6131ext volume coding Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Nice help file. Really nice.
Vicky, you may want to add about FAV button into your IRhelp LKMS order.
It comes last, after macros.
In 8910 only one device can trigger FAV sequences. I don't understand new remotes' minimacros, so can't comment.
In extender: Press FAV, it executes the first 5 commands. Press again, it executes the second 5 commands. And so on, till we cycle back to the first bunch of 5.
Without extender: I think it automatically jumps to next 3 commands and when you press FAV again it stops. Kinda dumb - this from 8910ext readme:

Quote:
FAV/SCAN:
=========

You can use IR to define a Fav list of up to 15 mini-macros of up to 5 keys
each. IR handles all 15 mini-macros together as one line item in its Scan/Fav
tab. Within that line item, the mini macros are delimited by "{pause}". IR
also allows you to create additional whole Fav lists; But the remote can't
use them.

The extender operates the Fav list differently than the unextended remote
in three important aspects:

1) The extender executes just one mini-macro each time you press the Fav key
(advancing through them circularly). The unextended remote will continue
executing the mini-macros with 3 second pauses in between until you press
another key to stop it.

2) The extender will switch the temporary device index to equal the Fav
device index whenever it starts a Fav mini-macro. The unextended remote
only recognizes the Fav list if the device index already matches the Fav
device index.

3) The unextended remote will do a Scan operation instead of a Fav list
operation whenever the Fav key is used in a device index that doesn't match.
The extender will never do a Scan operation. To have it do something other
than a Fav operation on certain device indexes, you must define a Key Move
for Fav for each such device index. (The Key Move will only override the
Fav List if IR.EXE puts the key move earlier within the
KeyMove/Macro/FavList pool than it puts the FavList.)

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm struggling with 6131ext volume coding Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Nice help file. Really nice.

Thanks Elizabeth. That means a lot.

Quote:

Vicky, you may want to add about FAV button into your IRhelp LKMS order.
It comes last, after macros.

I didn't address it in the LKMS order simply because, when I wrote my extender I moved it in front of the M. So I didn't want to confuse the issue.

However I should probably include a section on the FAV/SCAN button, but then this is still confusing, because many remotes have a FAV button that doesn't process a list at all. There is also the complication that FAV/SCAN can be implemented differently by different extenders. My FAV/SCAN implementation on the 8820N is quite different than the 8910's implementation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: