JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New cable remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcycle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: New cable remote Reply with quote

I'm posting this in Beginners because it's been so long since I had to mess with my JP1 remote that I'm totally out of the loop. I also use linux basically exclusively, and don't know if there are linux tools yet for programming remotes.

The new remote I just got for digital cable is from Time Warner, model # printed on the front is:

UR5U-8708L-TWN

Is anything known about these remotes? I searched in the forum and database but I didn't see anything. It's actually not too bad, but I can't get it to control a few things the way I want, and I'd rather just keep using my venerable 8811.

So what should I do? Just load a copy of windows and get the latest JP1 software and try to program my 8811 from the TW remote somehow? I don't even remember if there's any kind of dump function (the original files are long gone by now), but I'm assuming I can save my current 8811 configuration so I don't have to start completely from scratch?

Thanks in advance - I'm **really** hoping there are linux tools by now!
wnewell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been :Linux tools for some time. Download the latest Java version of Remote Master, RDF's and images.
starcycle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's forget about linux. I don't know how to get linux to recognize the remote through the serial port, and I don't really feel like dealing with it. So I'll just get an old computer set up with windows and do it there.

So I guess my main question is how do get the keycodes for the UR5U remote loaded into the software so I can put them in the 8811?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're basically asking is for us to para-phrase the beginner's docs that we've written to save you from having to read them. I think it would be a better idea if you read the docs yourself.

Start with this one:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help

Then if you need more, go here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1009
starcycle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I worded it poorly. I'm sure I'll remember how to use the software once I actually install windows and load it again. I'm asking more specifically if anything is known about this particular UR5U remote, if there are any codes for it already, or similar ones that will work, etc. I'm trying to find out if it will even be worth it for me to go to the trouble of installing windows, or whether I won't be able to program the 8811 with JP1 anyway because there are no codes yet for the new remote. But I'll definitely go through those pages again as a refresher as I get closer, thanks.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to figure out how to get your 8811 to control a new TW cable box? Or how to control all your components?

For the TW box, there are two approaches.

1) Identify the cable box brand and model and see if we already have an upgrade for it. If not, post the info, and someone may already know which IR signals it uses.

or

2) Use the UR5U remote to teach your 8811. Then download that info into IR.exe, which will decode the IR signals, so that you can build an upgrade.

If you want to control other components, use the same approach.
starcycle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the TW box. The other stuff is already programmed, I just don't want to lose what I already have.

Like I said, I didn't see any upgrade for this remote, but I might just have missed it among all the other files. It's a little confusing jumping back into this again cold and trying to remember what I need. I guess based on Rob's link IR.exe is the main thing I need, not Remote Master?

I can't seem to find any documentation on google yet for how to do "learning" on this remote. I bought it directly from Rob, but I don't think I got a user manual with it. If anyone has a pdf or can point me to one, i'd appreciate it.

3FG wrote:
Are you trying to figure out how to get your 8811 to control a new TW cable box? Or how to control all your components?

For the TW box, there are two approaches.

1) Identify the cable box brand and model and see if we already have an upgrade for it. If not, post the info, and someone may already know which IR signals it uses.

or

2) Use the UR5U remote to teach your 8811. Then download that info into IR.exe, which will decode the IR signals, so that you can build an upgrade.

If you want to control other components, use the same approach.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is much more useful to ask for codes to control a specific device (your cable box manufacturer and model number). You do need to follow the template you can see here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49 Post this request in the Code Search forum and you should get a better response.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wanted is an upgrade for the cable box, not a remote. Please post the brand and model of your cable box.

Manuals are here.

You'll need both RM and IR.
starcycle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right - the model of the cable box, duh. I was thinking in terms of "learning" from the remote. The cable box is a "Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100," and I found a 2100, so I guess I'll try starting with that.

I'm not having any luck getting IR.exe to see the remote, though. I'll just post my notes:

------------
try to load rdf file:

"No data found in signature. This indicates that the interface isn't working properly (unless you have manually cleared the signature bytes, in which case it's normal). Do you want to cancel the operation?"

No -> select remote -> 881x, 801x, 601x (6_806_80) ???

JP1 EEPROM: Auto-detect

Download from remote:

ready to d/l -> Ok

"No response from interface. Make sure that the interface is connected to the PC, and that
you've specified the correct port."

Device mgr -> LPT1 port -> "this device is working properly"

Check interface -> "No response from interface. Make sure...." etc. Tried batteries in, batteries out, cable both ways.

Driver status -> "The serial/parallel driver is functioning properly."

---------
Not sure what to do next. Question
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried setup code Cable 0877? That runs most SA boxes.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP has UR5U-8708L-TWN remote, that is URC made remote, not UEI.
starcycle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Have you tried setup code Cable 0877? That runs most SA boxes.

Thanks, I tried that and 1877, but neither one worked. Maybe this is a newer model. I was able to get some basic functionality by using the automatic code search method, but it basically just allows changing the channel up or down. I'd still like to get all the functions completely programmed with JP1.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
The OP has UR5U-8708L-TWN remote, that is URC made remote, not UEI.

That's the remote that came with his cable box, that's the remote that he wants to learn from. The remote that he's trying to program is a URC-8811.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two separate issues being discussed here:
1) how to get JP1 working with the OP's linux box, and
2) getting an upgrade for his Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 STB that works with his URC-8811 remote.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of what was done to get things working with linux, but the original thread on the subject is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2895

Also, according to the following post, RMIR (the java version of IR.exe) also works under linux:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10849

Download it from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8950

As for the STB, once you get JP1 working and can read from your remote, you can then learn the signals from your STB remote using the URC-8811 and then download the memory so we can see what signal it uses. From there we can get you set up with an upgrade. But first things first, let's get your JP1 cable working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: