JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The strange case of the RCRP05B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: The strange case of the RCRP05B Reply with quote

I recently purchased an RCRP05B remote and just started trying to program it. I have two DirecTV DVRs, so I want to set the remote to use both of them (there are 2 codes that can be used).

Playing around with them I noticed a very strange thing. I programmed it as follows: DVR #1 is on the sat/cable button, and DVR #2 is on the aux/DVR button. DVR #1 works fine on the sat/cable button. DVR #2 works fine for the transport and arrow buttons. But if I press the channel up/down button or any of the number keys, instead of the aux/DVR button lighting up, the sat/cable button lights up, and the button press is applied to DVR#1!

Looking into it further it turns out that it doesn't matter what device button (other than sat/cable) I put a DVR code onto. It also doesn't matter what code I've put on the sat/cable button. For example, if I put the DVR code onto the audio button, and I put a code for my Zektor switch onto the sat/cable button, pressing channel button or a number button works the Zektor switch! Every combination I've tried works this way.

It also doesn't matter whether I've used a built in DVR code set, or one from Keymap master. The remote has a built in code for one codeset of the DirecTV DVRs, but I have one I've created myself. Both give the same result.

I found something else. There are multiple discrete code sets for the DVRs. If I try to put two different codes on buttons other than sat/cable BOTH of them will work the same way. That is for either DirecTV code set pressing the channel or number keys will cause whatever is on the sat/cable button to be activated and the key press executed for that device.

It is almost as if there is some kind of macro that pressing one of those buttons causes the remote to switch to sat/cable and execute the function there. I can assure you there are no macros on the device.

I can't figure out why this is happening. Is there something I'm missing about keys that are available for certain devices?

I have reset the remote multiple times, and it keeps happening the same way. I have also started with a blank "IR" configuration and uploaded that with the JP1.3 cable to make sure there are no codes I am unaware of on certain device buttons. I also had downloaded the original configuration it came with from the factory and find nothing there that would account for this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SMK
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are experiencing Channel Lock.

Cable remotes and in this case "Cable Replacement Remotes" tend to want to punch through all channel changing features to the CBL/SAT device.

You can either turn off channel lock from the general tab of IR or you can turn off channel lock manually.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Vicky. I was not aware of this "feature," and now that I know about it, I'll see if I can use it to my advantage in some way.

Thanks again.

SMK
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: