JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can/Do I need to Do This?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmatch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Can/Do I need to Do This? Reply with quote

Spent several hours now trying to find answers to my questions here in the forum (and other places), so at the very least you might accuse me of being dim-witted, but not lazy. Wink

I am unable to learn keys (using a Philips SRU5107 - Universal learning IR remote) from 2 separate satellite receiver remotes that I have. They are UHF/IR remotes. They send out both IR and UHF (RF) at the same time. I don't need the UHF capabilities since they both respond to IR signals as well as UHF.

I have successfully learned many buttons from IR only remotes that I have so I am confident I know how to do it.

Is the inability to learn from the UHF/IR remotes because of this simultaneous transmission of both UHF and IR?

If so, assuming I have the brains for it, is it likely that I will be able to use a JP1 compatible remote (URC10820 for example) to generate the IR signal for use with the satellite receivers (Uniden - UST-4400 Super and Motorola 4DTV/922)?

Your patience and advice will be appreciated.

dmatch
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can/Do I need to Do This? Reply with quote

dmatch wrote:
They are UHF/IR remotes. They send out both IR and UHF (RF) at the same time. I don't need the UHF capabilities since they both respond to IR signals as well as UHF.

If that is indeed true, then you should be able to capture the IR Signals.

Many times remotes that say they are UHF/IR remotes, meaning that they send out UHF for their equipment and IR for all other devices.

To make sure this is truly sending out an IR signal when you press the button, look at the remote through a digital camera (the one on your phone will do) and see if there is an IR signal being sent when you press the keys that you are trying to capture.

There could be many reasons that you can't learn the signal. You may have filled your remotes memory, or it could be a hard to learn signal.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
dmatch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response,

If I understand correctly then there is no particular "physics" reason that I should not be able to learn from a UHF/IR remote other than the remote just don't handle the IR correctly from those devices.

The remotes are putting out both IR and UHF as is evidenced by my MCE IR receiver light (on computer) responding. Also, if I switch the Uniden to IR (on back of receiver) then I have to point directly at it with its remote whereas when in UHF mode (on back of receiver) I get response no matter where I point the remote.

Also, the learning remote indicates that it has successfully learned, but receivers do not respond, even though my MCE IR indicator (on computer) shows the remote is sending IR.

DRCars
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmatch wrote:

If I understand correctly then there is no particular "physics" reason that I should not be able to learn from a UHF/IR remote other than the remote just don't handle the IR correctly from those devices.

Well some remotes are very difficult to learn from. For example there is this XMP signal that we find difficult to capture. We can capture it, but it won't play back. Fortunately Graham (mathdon) was able to correct the signal enough so that we could code an executor to properly recognize the data.

Sometimes there are frequency issues too. Some signals run too fast to learn, but we can send them out with an executor. But Uniden Sat and CBL signals seem to be pretty normal signals.

Motorola are often XMP signals, but that shouldn't be an issue for the JP1 tools either.

Chances are pretty good that we can capture enough of the signal to figure it out, but its not a sure thing.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
dmatch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I see that there are files in the "File Section" regarding the 4DTV. Also one for a Uniden UST4600 (some of the button names appear to be the same as my Uniden UST4400 Super).

There are 2 files for the 4DTV. It appears the first one is specifically for the RS 2116 remote (Has RS 2116 in description). Is the other one for One For All remotes?

So it appears this would be a worthwhile project for me to attempt. Apparently, much of the hard work has already been done.

What One For All remote would you recommend that I use?
I would like to get a URC 10820. Would that be a good choice?

dmatch
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking a remote is a highly personal choice. The 10820 and the 10820n are nice 10 device remotes, with learning, and extenders have been written so there is full support. They are JP1.2 remotes so you need a flash cable.

Another popular choice is the RCA RCRP05B, a jp1.3 (flash cable) remote with learning, it is 5 device out of the box, but can be 8 device very easily. No extender as of yet. The buttons are a little too close together for me.

Also there are some cable remotes. The Atlas Ocap is a JP1.3 flash remote (JP1.3) 5 device seems to be a very popular remote, and can sometimes be found with a backlit option, or can be found with learning. The Atlas remotes are butt-ugly, but the button layout is really easy to use. The Ocap has an extender.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmatch wrote:
There are 2 files for the 4DTV. It appears the first one is specifically for the RS 2116 remote (Has RS 2116 in description). Is the other one for One For All remotes?

It doesn't matter which remote the upgrade was originally designed for because you can change the selected remote when you configure it for your remote.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
dmatch wrote:

It doesn't matter which remote the upgrade was originally designed for because you can change the selected remote when you configure it for your remote.

Yes, these changing the selected remote is usually all you have to do. If you are already looking at upgrades, try changing the remote to URC-10820 and see if you are getting any warning message. Sometimes if the remote uses a custom protocol we need to do extra work to get these upgrades to work in JP1.2 remotes, like the 10820's, but it's not a show stopper.

dmatch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I think I have a better idea what's going on and what I need now. Going to do some serious forum reading, but I bet I'll be back soon with more questions.

dmatch
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already done so, please read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you read Robs link could I recommend you look through this document
IR Help

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dmatch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robman, I have read that (at least scanned it thoroughly) and will probably re-visit it many times. Very helpful.

Vickyg2003: Did you mean to link to the files for an Epson PowerLite EMP710 ? Not sure what to make of that at this time.

dmatch
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmatch wrote:
Thanks Robman, I have read that (at least scanned it thoroughly) and will probably re-visit it many times. Very helpful.

Vickyg2003: Did you mean to link to the files for an Epson PowerLite EMP710 ? Not sure what to make of that at this time.

dmatch

oops, no I meant this file.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8629

If you find anything confusing, or rambling, please let me know. I can't proof read my own stuff, because I see what I want it to say, not necessarily what it says.

dmatch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit:Thanks Vickyg2003. I will check it out.

I just got this response from AudioVox (One For All remotes)

My question:
Quote:
Can your URC10820 learn IR from a UHF/IR remote?
..... the remotes I would have to learn from generate both IR and UHF at the same time.

Answer:
Quote:

Unfortunately there is no way you can learn from a UHF/IR remote . Because it is emitting both IR and RF . If it was just IR you would be fine .

Scott Robinson ( customer service )

I guess I will have to depend on JP1 if that is correct.

dmatch
dmatch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my URC 10820N today. It works great.

Just to set the record straight, the response I got from AudioVox (One For All), as to whether the remote would learn from a UHF/IR remote (see above post) appears to be incorrect. I find that you guys were right. The URC 10820N learns the IR signal from the 2 UHF/IR remotes that I have (see above) just fine. The 2 remotes definitely put out both IR and UHF at the same time.

I have 8 of my 10 devices programmed already. Soon the coffee table will almost be bare, so I guess the cats can take it over. Wink

Thanks

dmatch
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: