JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Selecting a remote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KISS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Selecting a remote Reply with quote

I decided I wanted to get my feet wet with remote programming, but I'm having trouble finding the pool.

I looked through the list of available remotes that are still in production and the pickings are very slim. Since it's playtime, I'd like it to be a learning remote.

About the only thing I came up with is the URC Kameleon 5 or URC-8305, but that seems somewhat hard to find.

Then there is the "n" suffix which I have no idea what it is. I basically used the database to try to find a current remote with the features I wanted. I missed the ability to sort on the columns, since it's a .pdf file. Probably should be both.

Some of the references in the forum suggest it's JP1 with no header, but the database suggest JP1.3. The posts in the forum also say you have to take the remote apart to get to the connector.

What I'm looking for is a single device or something that has a power on/off macro, a keypad and stop and play. For playing purposes, it should be capable of learning.

I'm getting discouraged.

Documentation on the forum seems to be good, but there is little glue

Can anybody suggest a remote and if possible confirm the interface? (I've had a few laptops apart) I want to take apart a cell phone.

I also noted that the JP1.3 protocol has to be RS232, not USB.

Tanks,

KISS

Aside:
Somewhat off topic, some of the links at the bottom right on this page http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa are dead.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an excel version of the chart you can sort. I've never seen that model in the US. Where do you live?

The most common models currently available in the US are the atlas, RCA, urc-10820 & 8820 (n are the latest), and radio shack 15-100 & 13x (on clearance).

The kameleon seems like a good idea, but I find it to be a useless gimmick.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding JP1.3 remotes, these use a serial protocol which is similar to RS232, but the operating voltages are lower. You can build an interface which plugs into a PC serial port or USB to serial converter. The more straightfoward approach is to buy a JP1.3 inteface cable from Tommy Tyler which plugs into a USB port. That's what I use.

I'm not sure how you concluded that the Kameleon or the 8305 would best fit your needs. Frankly, I would try to get a remote that already has the 6 pin header installed, and which is accessible through the battery compartment. Here in the US, the OneForAll URC-8820 (and sister 10820) and the RCA RCRP05B are both available for <$20. Walgreens, Best Buy, Sears or of course on-line.

They have Power On/Off macros, but if you're going to use a computer to program them, such a macro need not be built in. You can add it.

Excel version of the remote chart is available here.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His IP address suggests that he's in Philly, PA
KISS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philly is close enough. US it is. The cable suggested makes sense. Thanks for the sources of both.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Selecting a remote Reply with quote

KISS wrote:
I decided I wanted to get my feet wet with remote programming, but I'm having trouble finding the pool.

How wet?

Quote:

About the only thing I came up with is the URC Kameleon 5 or URC-8305, but that seems somewhat hard to find.

Why the kameleon?

Quote:

What I'm looking for is a single device or something that has a power on/off macro, a keypad and stop and play. For playing purposes, it should be capable of learning.

Ah yes, learning really makes these fun. Everyone ought to have a learning remote!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
KISS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went Physical Store shopping:

Wallgreens
RCA RCRN3BR, RCRN04GR, RCRN06GR

Wallmart
Phillips SRU5107WM, SRC2063WM/17
GE 24938
Direct TV RC65
VIZIO XRU9M
Harmony H300i $35

Best Buy
RCA RCR311STN ($10), RCRN03BR ($10), RCRP05B ($20)*
Sony RMVL2620 ($26), VZ320-C ($17)
Harmony 300 ($50), 600 ($100), 700 ($130), 1100? (too expensive)
Arrix ($90) 18G

From the database, it looks like there is ONE remote and it's JP1.3.

I didn't get very wet and the pool at Best Buy was crowded with only one life preserver available. The other pools didn't have any. One is better than NONE.

Next step programming cable.

Too bad Harmony and Pronto don't seem to be friendly.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I didn't know how much programming you were looking to do. I didn't know if you wanted to have a really customized remote, or if you wanted to jump in to the deep end.

Sounds like you just want to automate your HT system.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
KISS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not really. I want to create Pronto HEX codes from scratch for a piece of equipment and convert them to JP codes and assign them to particular buttons. It looks doable and relatively easy.

No one has this device in their remote database. I may be programming a bunch of remotes in the future, hence the need for the interface.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KISS wrote:
No, not really. I want to create Pronto HEX codes from scratch for a piece of equipment and convert them to JP codes and assign them to particular buttons. It looks doable and relatively easy.

No one has this device in their remote database. I may be programming a bunch of remotes in the future, hence the need for the interface.

What's the piece of equipment?

There are a lot of ways you can do this. You are going to have fun!

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the results of your shopping trip, but we've already posted detailed info on exactly what models are available and where to get them. If you want to see your remaining options, go to sears and radio shack as well, or just buy online.

I'm also not quite sure why you want/need to go to the trouble of creating pronto hex for your device from scratch and then convert to JP1 codes. It's much easier to skip the pronto hex step altogether. How exactly are you creating your own pronto hex from scratch anyway and where do you get the information to do it?
classicsat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the protocol and the bit codes needed, plugging that into RM/KM is not that hard.

If making a Pronto Hex file is easiest for you, then do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: