JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

We need a mobile Widget and IRscope

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: We need a mobile Widget and IRscope Reply with quote

One very useful gadget to invent would be a some itty-bitty handheld computer with the Widget built in. In order to be able collect signals away from home. Something flash-based but obviously with a processor for decodeIR and IRscope (small version, no graphs) and whatever else is vital to support it all. A single purpose device. Needs to have USB output to home computer. And an application to import it into home computer.

Am I dreaming or is something like that possible?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're asking for an app for a PDA. UEI wrote something for a PDA that their folks use when they're out in the field so they can collect codes from Best Buy, etc.

Their app doesn't show any of the results on the PDA screen though, because the idea is to get the files back home to the lab, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't write something that does everything you're asking for.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I'm glad you didn't delegate me to the looney bin yet.

One clincher is button IDs. That's the most laborious part, yet has to be done on site to be valid.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDA program that UEI uses allows the user to relabel the buttons.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob.
I don't have a PDA nor the UEI software nor their data acquisition hardware.
But it's good to know something like that exists already.
Let's hope some forum JP1 person invents a gadget along the Widget lines.
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedEye Mini for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
One very useful gadget to invent would be a some itty-bitty handheld computer with the Widget built in. In order to be able collect signals away from home. Something flash-based but obviously with a processor for decodeIR and IRscope (small version, no graphs) and whatever else is vital to support it all. A single purpose device. Needs to have USB output to home computer. And an application to import it into home computer.

Am I dreaming or is something like that possible?

You're not dreaming. It's very possible but not probable. With electronics being cheap these days, it probably wouldn't be cost effective to market a dedicated device just to enable a portable IRscope.

It'll be more to be cost effective as an add-on to an already existing device like the RedEye Mini for the iPhone. Although, that particular add-on software combination is a transmitter, and doesn't appear to have any IR sensors or learning capabilities.

Kevin Timmerman wrote:
RedEye Mini for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch

I dunno, it doesn't look like that particular device add-on / software learns codes. It looks like they have their own IR database.

One would probably be more apt to walking around with a remote with learning capabilities like a Logitech Harmony or a JP1 compatible Remote. That way you can do what Alan Richey does and teaches the IR codes back through an IR Widget, or downloading it through the JP1 interface.
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:

I dunno, it doesn't look like that particular device add-on / software learns codes. It looks like they have their own IR database.

It does learn.
Quote:

Technical Specifications

Includes
-“RedEye mini” universal remote adapter
-Carrying case with keychain
Capabilities
-Remotely control equipment up to 30 feet away
-Integrated infrared learning sensor
-Storage capacity limited only by the amount of memory available on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad
Requirements
-iPod touch (2nd or 3rd generation), iPhone 3G/3GS, iPhone 4, or iPad running iOS 3.0 or later
-RedEye software application (available as a free download from iTunes)
Supports
-Virtually all home entertainment devices with infrared capabilities. (Infrared transmission and learning between 20kHz and 60kHz.)
Device Compatibility
-iPod touch (2nd and 3rd generations)
-iPhone 3G/3GS
-iPhone 4
-iPad

The Ryz Media dongle doesn't learn.
The Power A remote control case does learn.

Quote:

One would probably be more apt to walking around with a remote with learning capabilities like a Logitech Harmony or a JP1 compatible Remote.

The Harmony is just IR capture when connected to USB. It can not learn to internal memory. A future verison of IR Scope will support using most Harmony remotes for IR capture.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Timmerman wrote:
It does learn.

Nice, I stand corrected. (most happily, I might add)

Kevin Timmerman wrote:
The Harmony is just IR capture when connected to USB. It can not learn to internal memory. A future version of IR Scope will support using most Harmony remotes for IR capture.

That really sucks. The USB part, not the IR Scope. I'm happy about the latter not the former.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: