JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Replacing an Xsight Touch that was water-damaged in a flood

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewilley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Replacing an Xsight Touch that was water-damaged in a flood Reply with quote

Hi assembled remote experts. I have an Xsight Touch remote which I love and have never found anything better on the high-street, but it has become damaged after a flood. I think water and plaster-dust which came down from the ceiling have got under the keypad and into the switch area; it mostly works, but buttons are becoming increasingly more sluggish to respond. I have an extensive library of device command sets and macros/etc stored in Remote Master, and can still read/write to the device via USB.

I see two options, as this remote has not been sold for several years. Either try to find one 'as-new' on eBay (or the Nevo C3 clone, as I want the cradle charging version), or just go for what seems to be the modern spiritual replacement, the Magnolia X8 (e.g. from Best Buy). [Edit: A bit of searching, and this appears to be a clone of a URC device, I thought the design looked familiar. It's a TRC-1080]

Does Remote Master work with this remote series though? They look so similar to the Xsight Touch that they must have a similar design pedigree, if not the same designers, so I'm hoping I can just port my existing code sets (and maybe even macros) over into a new remote.

Any thoughts? Is it possible, and if so has anyone done this?

Andre
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

URC x8 is actually best buys version of the mx890. Their x7 is clone mx780. Neither are jp1-able.

the software for the above remotes is hard to get a hold of, but the trc-1080 is URC Total Control, its software is impossible to get.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. So basically their remotes are effectively useless, if you can't program them yourself. I tweak and adjust my command set, and especially macro sequences, fairly regularly.

I wonder why anyone would pay that much for a remote that you can't customise?

Andre
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These models were never intended to be programmed by end users, just custom installer, its up to them to release the software, the ccp used with complete control models like x7 & x8. I have access to ccp software, given to me by URC bigwig, for my help in answering URC remote questions over the years. Got mx780 at employee discount. Once you have access to software its as customizable as jp1. But builtin IR database stinks.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I suspect my best option will be to try to source another Xsight Touch (URC-8603).

I wouldn't want another unit that locked me into only using URC's configuration software anyway, not after the way users were stitched up when EZ-RC was retired just a few years after they stopped selling the remote range.

I've not seen anything for the home market since then that even comes close to the usability and features of the Xsight Touch (with the exception of wifi/internet connectivity, which doesn't bother me especially anyway). I wonder why they abandoned such a superb product line?

Andre

Last edited by andrewilley on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: