JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Program to show button map?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefferson62

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Program to show button map? Reply with quote

Hi,
Does anyone know of a program that would show a button map using a picture of a remote with button description leaders going to each button. I just think this would be something I could use.
Thanks
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM does it with Tool Tips and a printable summary, not leaders. That's usually good enough for me. I'd only want leaders for exceptions where the label doesn't match the function, not every button.

It's easy to add leaders yourself in excel.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tried to give a map to my son for the system I made for him.
Copied and pasted keymaps from KM into Excel. RM keymap list won't work because it doesn't, unfortunately, show the unused buttons. The KM list allows perfect alignment.

The problem however is the font size. It has to be microscopic to fit on one page, considering that every device needs 4 columns - button name, base code, shifted, xshifted. It's ok to have 2 pages to list all remote buttons, but all devices have to fit within the landscape 10 inches roughly to be of any use.

And even that isn't all that great, because the notes can't be fitted, and more often than not a remote button name has nothing to do with a function you put on it unless every function is beautifully named.

Some sort of an overlay - transparency of the remote picture + functions assigned to a button might be considered for each device mode. But by the time you do it all, you'll edit the remote ten times over and the story repeats.
Jefferson62

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I ran into some of the same problems, and was hoping for a better solution. Maybe I'll stay with printing out the button list from RM and forget about trying to show the remote graphically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: