JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Troubleshooting my URC-8820B00 Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenrl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting my URC-8820B00 Upgrades Reply with quote

I think am starting to get the hang of it. I have built four upgrades for my OFA URC-8820B00 but I am batting only 50% right now. Two work as planned and two do not work at all. The upgrades are:

Dish PVR508 (because the receiver would not respond to any of the Dish or Echostar codes in the manual), -- Works OK
Magnavox DVDR H2160A -- Works OK
Sony Receiver STR DE-835 -- Does not work.
Sony Blu-Ray S350 -- Does not work.

The upgrade for the Blu-Ray player was based on one posted by Capn Trips and edited for the URC-8820 and the upgrade for the Sony DE-835 receiver was based on its big brother the DE-935 by Robman, again modified for the URC-8820.

The two that do not work have been tried two ways. First a straight edit of an existing upgrade for my URC-8820 and then uploaded. That did not work. Second, the URC-8820 learned the signals from the OEM remote, which tested just fine, were loaded into RM and the upgrade loaded into IR and uploaded to the URC-8820. Strange but true, when upgraded that way, the devices refuse to respond to the learned signals. So please take a look at the files and see if you can spot anything wrong.

The zip file has been submitted to the Diagnosic area a couple of times but has not shown up in the list: Troubleshooting URC-8820 JP1 Files.zip

I must be doing something wrong there too Confused

Richard
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting my URC-8820B00 Upgrades Reply with quote

greenrl wrote:

The zip file has been submitted to the Diagnosic area a couple of times but has not shown up in the list: Troubleshooting URC-8820 JP1 Files.zip

I must be doing something wrong there too Confused

Richard

Yes I need to see those files, and they definately didn't make it into the diagnosis area.

Since I have just had a hard time with the Sony protocol myself, I can certainly understand how you can get tripped up there.

Please try to upload the file again.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
greenrl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, file submitted again. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Richard
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigate on the Web site to File Section, then click on Diagnosis Area.
On the new page Click on the Upload button.

On the Upload page fill in the File Name field. This is really a File description, and need not be the actual file name on your hard drive.
Put your user name greenrl on the Creator /Author field.

The most critical task is to click Browse on the File Upload line, and in the Choose file to Upload window, navigate on your hard disk to the actual file, highlight it, and click on Open. That step will fill in the File Upload Field with something like "C:\My Remote Stuff\noWorky.zip" or whatever your file name and path is.

Now click on Add File.

Next, go back to the File Section. You'll see your file in the Last File column at the right, on the Diagnosis Area line. Click on your file, and copy the resulting link (at the top of your browser) to a post here.

ETA: You apparently uploaded again while I was posting, but I still don't see a new file, so try the procedure I outlined. Thanks
greenrl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, did it again with repaired zip file. Link is
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9317

Richard
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the IR file, the Sony 835 upgrade is listed stored as setup code 1158, but on the General Tab, no device mode is set for that. Instead, Aud is set to 1558.

The Bluray upgrade needs to have 226 as a subdevice.

ETA: Maybe I don't understand, but it seems to me that the first 6 keymoves, in AUX1 and PVR, are unnecessary since VPT is already set to the TV for those device modes.

ETA2: The keymoves which assign various inputs on the TV use 0812 as the setup code. That needs single byte Hex data or 3 digit EFCs with 2 prepended zeros. Instead it looks like the entered keymove data is 2 bytes, and appear to have been generated using the NEC 4DEV combo executor. I recommend using an upgrade like this one for a B750. The EFCs or Hex data in that upgrade are suitable for use in a keymove with 0812.
greenrl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million! It sure helps to have a fresh set of eyes looking.

I am still checking all the various functions, but it seems that everything is working now. Not quite sure about the Phantom 1 and Phantom 2 key moves, however. The codes work when entered directly but does not seem to work in the macro that utilizes them.

The key moves for the PVR were necessary because the device is a DVD/VCR type on the PVR button and the VPT was broken. I don't remember about the AUX1 but it is a cable box setting for the Channel Master antenna rotator operation so if I forget to go back to the TV device the vol and mute buttons work.
greenrl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE
After a few tweaks and some added macros, everything is working as desired.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, documents, files and willingness to help beginners. A great skill learning experience.
Until I get more toys, I have just about run out of things to do with the URC-8820B00. And so far a pretty good WAF.

Now happily on to the 15-100!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: