JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Keymove memory limitations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim7562

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Keymove memory limitations Reply with quote

I have been creating my first upgrade from a WAV file and learning facility. I managed to capture all the extra button codes but was too enthusiastic in assigning them to the OFA buttons as I ran out of keymove space. Can someone confirm my understanding from what I've read so far that my options are:
a. use the available learning space (which seems to need about 37 bytes per function)
b. install an extender (once I've finished learning all codes) to pack more keymoves into the learning area
c. get a new remote
d. accept I won't be able to have all the functions and keep the old remote on standby for the rest.

Are there any other options?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I'm not quite sure how NEW you are, but I see you joined a few days ago so I'm treating you as a total newbie.

Have you created an upgrade with KM or RM, or are you trying to do this all with keymoves and learns? Upgrades use a lot less memory than Keymoves and learns. Also IR can move the upgrades outside of normal upgrade area if they get too big.

If you've tried KM or RM, did you notice how if you choose different device types, like TV or DVD, the number of keys that are available change? If you choose an upgrade type that has more keys available, that means you'll need less keymoves.

There are some advanced tricks with multiplexing, that can eliminate a lot of keymoves too.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jim7562

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I'm not quite sure how NEW you are, but I see you joined a few days ago so I'm treating you as a total newbie.

Probably wise. I tried to read through the guides but they only start to make sense once you start programming.
Quote:

Have you created an upgrade with KM or RM, or are you trying to do this all with keymoves and learns?

The specific remote I started with was downloaded as a WAV file (it's a modem OFA). I then cloned it, used the learn function to get the rest of the codes and mapped them to the OFA buttons using RM. I put the lesser-used features onto shift keys, but it seems that every shift function is created as a keymove (unless it also appears as a Normal function). When I loaded the upgrade file into RM IR to update the device, the keymove memory area was over-filled, so I had to delete shift functions to stay within the limit.

Quote:
Upgrades use a lot less memory than Keymoves and learns. Also IR can move the upgrades outside of normal upgrade area if they get too big.

The OFA upgrade area is less than half full. If there's a way to get shift functions in the main upgrade, then I've not found it yet.

Quote:
If you've tried KM or RM, did you notice how if you choose different device types, like TV or DVD, the number of keys that are available change? If you choose an upgrade type that has more keys available, that means you'll need less keymoves.

No, I hadn't noticed, but I can see the VCR/PVR device types have asterisks against some of the keys, such as A-G. After reading the Beginner's page again, I understand what that means.

Can I re-assign my PVR device as a TV? That would free up 8 keymoves. Is there a downside?

The device I was programming was a Satellite box (type Cable) and the only starred buttons were the BRIGHT/COLOR/Device/Phantom/Discrete ones. The device original remote has 53 functions, with 4 of them using duplicate codes (vol/ch double up as arrow keys). I still had a few normal functions spare, but ended up with over a dozen shifted functions.

Quote:
There are some advanced tricks with multiplexing, that can eliminate a lot of keymoves too.

Do you have a link for that? I'll probably have a spare Device button on the 6-way remote, so I suppose I could just clone the shift functions onto that. Doesn't seem very elegant though.

In any case, would I be right to create an upgrade file with all functions included and assigned, leaving it to any other user to trim it to size?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim7562 wrote:
Quote:

Have you created an upgrade with KM or RM, or are you trying to do this all with keymoves and learns?

The specific remote I started with was downloaded as a WAV file (it's a modem OFA). I then cloned it, used the learn function to get the rest of the codes and mapped them to the OFA buttons using RM. I put the lesser-used features onto shift keys, but it seems that every shift function is created as a keymove (unless it also appears as a Normal function). When I loaded the upgrade file into RM IR to update the device, the keymove memory area was over-filled, so I had to delete shift functions to stay within the limit.

shifted keys are always keymoves

Quote:
The OFA upgrade area is less than half full. If there's a way to get shift functions in the main upgrade, then I've not found it yet.

Well here is the trick I use. I have a DVD Recorder that needs a different set of keys depending on if I'm editing a DVD or playing a DVD, so I just use two different upgrades so I don't need all the keys on the upgrade, so I split them into two different upgrades.

Quote:
Quote:

No, I hadn't noticed, but I can see the VCR/PVR device types have asterisks against some of the keys, such as A-G. After reading the Beginner's page again, I understand what that means.

Can I re-assign my PVR device as a TV? That would free up 8 keymoves. Is there a downside?

Not usually. The Device type for the most part just tells the remote where to find the upgrade. Sometimes on OEM Cable company remotes, it stops some of the weird Cable centric behavior.

Quote:

In any case, would I be right to create an upgrade file with all functions included and assigned, leaving it to any other user to trim it to size?

Always make the functions page as complete as possible!

I think you might be jumping into extenders soon, but you can always zip your upgrades and IR together and post them in the diagnosis section with a link here, if you think you are not getting the most out of the remote.

You can always supplement your keymoves with learns to save some of the keymove macro area.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the shifted key issue, one idea might be to create two separate upgrades and then use the Device Multiplexor to stack them onto a single device button.
jim7562

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Well here is the trick I use. I have a DVD Recorder that needs a different set of keys depending on if I'm editing a DVD or playing a DVD, so I just use two different upgrades so I don't need all the keys on the upgrade, so I split them into two different upgrades.

So you just swap the device codes around as required?

Quote:

I should have read your sig. before asking that question.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim7562 wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

So you just swap the device codes around as required?

yes, that's the multiplex thingy. I don't know if there is a multiplex protocol for your remote as always

Quote:

Quote:

I should have read your sig. before asking that question.

Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: