JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two different volume punch through choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stangbat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Two different volume punch through choices Reply with quote

I will eventually be setting up a home theater and I'm trying to plan ahead. I currently use an 8910 with an extender as my main remote.

My dilemma involves how to handle volume punch through. Currently I listen to my TV speakers for anything video related and I only use my stereo speakers when listening to music (2 channel stereo). With the home theater setup, I'll obviously want to use my main HT setup's speakers when watching movies and some TV programs, but I don't necessarily want to have to turn on all the HT stuff when I just want to watch the tube for something like news, weather, or when the kids are in bed.

So I want to be able to selectively punch through to my TV at some times and my HT processor with all the surround speakers at others. I'm at a loss for how to do this.

The 8910's Home Theater mode doesn't look like it will help me because I'd need to be able to toggle the audio group depending on which speakers I want to use (TV or HT). I also don't think the HT mode will help me because I need the playback group to be selectable between my DVR and my DVD player.

Any thoughts/advice? Am I even making any sense?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for HT mode with an extender (HT doesn't work with the extender anyway). Make a TV only macro and a TV with surround macro, each with the appropriate vol keys assigned. The extender gives you unlimited HT modes.

You can even make a macro that just toggles the vol keys device if you want. I've done this with shift keys and with toadtogs. The most intuitive for me is to make shift-TV set TV vol keys and shift-AUD set the receiver vol keys.
stangbat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, makes sense. I was rusty on how the extender worked and after reviewing everything your advice makes sense. Shifting should take care of it.

From reading through the 8910 extender instructions, it appears that the 8919 does not support long key presses? So I'd need to use the shift key to activate the macro for the logical devices that use the different volume keys? Am I thinking correctly?

I somewhat understand ToadTog's capabilities, but I don't yet understand how to use it for something like this. I need to study it some more. Shifting seems much easier.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 8910 extender Readme:
Quote:
This extender includes the following special protocols:

MISC/1103, portocol 1FC = Device specific Macro
MISC/1104, protocol 1FB = Pause
MISC/1106, protocol 1F9 = Long/Double Key Press
MISC/1107, protocol 1F8 = Custom Mode Name
MISC/1800, protocol 181 = ToadTog

They are then described in the individual .txt files in the extender zip file.

Look in IR at the Special Protocols tab. This is a much improved interface for making the keymoves for these protocols.
If you click Add, you will see the options that 8910 has.
stangbat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, can't believe I missed that. Thanks for setting me straight. It is all starting to come together.

You can do so much with these remotes that sometimes it is tough for me to wrap my mind around the capabilities.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use toadtog if you want to use one button to toggle the vol device instead of two buttons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: