JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-8820/108020 VS RCRP05B + some other questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

embrion wrote:
Some ppl reported running out of EEPROM when teaching RCRP05B. Could someone confirm that?

If by "teaching" you are referring to the remote's learning memory, the RCRP05B has about 2k of learning memory, which is twice the amount that most of our older remotes had. But it's less than remotes like the URC-8820N which has about 3k of learning memory.

Either way, most people with JP1 just use learning to capture the signals from their OEM remotes so that they can build an upgrade, at which point the learning memory is free again.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, a learned signal typically uses between 25 and 50 bytes, so 2K provides room for 40 or 50 learned buttons. But as Rob says, with a cable, we ordinarily use IR.exe to decode the learned signal, and build an upgrade from that.

That provides some advantages:
1) A learned signal typically has timing variations caused by both the OEM remote and the learning remote, but a decoded signal doesn't carry the variations of the OEM remote.
2) Some IR protocols toggle one bit each time the signal is sent. A learned signal won't be toggled, and e.g., a TV may have trouble recognizing that you intended to send 1-1-5 rather than 1-5 or perhaps 1-5-5.
3) There's a size advantage also--the same information that takes perhaps 50 bytes in a learned signal will require only 2 bytes if stored as a decoded signal.
4) Finally, it is much easier to share the information with other users.
wnewell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has 2k allocated for learning and 2k allocated for upgrades. That will do about 50 learned buttons and a bunch of upgrades.
embrion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answers.

Is it possible to add pause to macro for remote without extender available? For example for RCRP05B but I'd also like to know it this is device spefici feature or every JP1 remote can use pause in macros
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pause can be added without an extender.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RCRP05B is a little odd when it comes to the Pause Protocol. You'll need a slightly tweaked version that uses a different protocol number than most remotes. But aside from that little detail, macro pauses work just fine on an (unextended) RCA.
embrion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news. Pause duration can also be specified? My TV needs a little time after powering on.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the 2nd through 4th posts for a quick summary of Pause
embrion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really one of the most helpfull forums I'm at Smile
nw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
As for the cool Euro models, I was thinking about the URC-7556 Digital 5 and similar:

That is one really nice looking remote with well laid out keys.

Now that I have a RCRP05B coming to replace my missing Insignia DVD player remote, I am starting to notice the problem of remotes designed for cable boxes vs DVD players.

The ABCD button colors are in wrong order on a cable box remote for a DVD replacement, though I am sure I can override, still.

Also on the RCRP05B, I absolutely hate numeric keypads at the bottom, it makes no sense.
The URC-7556 pictured above would have been perfect (but impossible to get and others are too expensive anyway).
R2-M0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw wrote:
The ABCD button colors are in wrong order on a cable box remote for a DVD replacement, though I am sure I can override, still.

I have yet to encounter a DVD/BD that's actually made use of the ABCD color buttons. Of course, I rarely partake in the BD-Live extras, so maybe that's where I'm missing them. But I use A, B, and C all the time with my DVR, so I actually prefer them in "cable box order".

nw wrote:
Also on the RCRP05B, I absolutely hate numeric keypads at the bottom, it makes no sense.

I so rarely use the numeric keypad, that I really don't care where it is as long as it's out of the way. For my money, the transport controls are the most important, followed by the menu navigation arrows.

Given the shape and center-of-gravity on the RCRP, my thumb naturally rests over the "OK" button. That's not too bad, but I think my ideal layout would have shifted both the transport and menu controls down, then moved the volume/channel and page/day keys to where the transport cluster is now.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone investigating new remotes should check out the New Insignia / Sanyo JP1 remote.

There is no perfect UEI remote, especially in the set of models currently available in the US, but I think its the best one in recent memory, even better than the popular original URC-6131. It doesn't (yet) have an extender.

The closest thing to an issue I have encountered is that it only has 4 physical device buttons, but there are 4 more phantom device buttons to work with.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resuscitating this thread for another beginner, like me, who might come across the question:-

Off the shelf, RCRP05B has 2047bytes of learning space, which is the same as, or more than, many learning remotes. It is enough for learning a full device like a pvr, with a bit left over, but imo is still a good reason on its own for JP1
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: