JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-8820/108020 VS RCRP05B + some other questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what codes are built in. You'll add your own anyway.

I'm afraid finding the actual holy grail will be easier than finding a Titan or a learning backlit Atlas. If you do, get an extra one for me please.

Last edited by mdavej on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, technically, the setup code just confirms that it's a UEI remote (UEI is the company that makes these remotes), it doesn't confirm that it has a JP1 connector.

Also, just FYI, the urcsupport.com web page is a UEI web page, so all remotes shown there are UEI remotes.
embrion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense Smile

Oh well, I'll try to find this Insignia / Sanyo one and if no success, I'll probably take this RCA.

Hmmm http://us.sanyo.com/SANYO-Store/Universal-Digital-TV-Remote

Anyone with PayPal account willing to help? Smile

==Edited==

How limiting would be having 2-3K of EEPROM ? (2K in case I take URC-8910)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're even thinking of buying a remote on ebay, you're going to need to set your own Paypal account.

2k EEPROMs were standard for all the older EEPROM based remotes and we were able to do a LOT with them.
embrion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking ahead in case Sanyo USA ships US only.
The PayPal line was asking if this would be the case, then If there would be a good soul which I could transfer money via PayPal so he could buy this remote from Sanyo for me and send it to me.

Does this Sanyo model support long key presses? I really love this feature
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't. Only the 8820/10820N can do LKP's without an extender.
embrion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure?

vickyg2003 wrote:
Extender
The RCA remote has device specific macros built in, and both of these have a built in LKP (long key press) feature for the device keys.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

How do LKPs work on the RCA? Do you just put a macro on a device key, and it only runs on a LKP?

embrion, check your PMs.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn that the RCA is one of the remotes with the built in LKP, but its not in the manual, so I tried it anyway and it flipped out as soon as I pressed the device key for assignment.

So I was mistaken. Sorry for the bad information.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
When you use a JP1 cable you have the ability to add new setup codes to the remote, that's the main purpose of JP1. So, rather than patch up a built-in setup code using keymoves or learning, you would compile all of the codes into a single upgrade and add it to the remote's memory. If you look in the file section here (link at the top of every page) you'll see that we have thousands of user-made upgrades.

Since all of my devices have always had great coverage from the built-in libraries, the "main purpose of JP1" has never been building upgrades. I find the convenience of programming macros and keymoves where I can see them to be a huge benefit of JP1. I've only built a handful of upgrades, but I've tweaked the heck out of my remotes to make them easy to use.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need one device to not be supported by your remote for it to render your remote useless. So while JP1 does indeed open up a whole new world of possibilities as far as special protocols, macros, etc are concerned, I still think the main reason most people go to the trouble of buying a cable and getting involved is to add upgrades.

Then, once they've added that missing device, they'll probably create upgrades for all the devices that have built in setup codes in order to make them complete and avoid needing so many keymoves. Then they'll tweak their macros and carry on down the slippery slope into JP1-nerd-land.
embrion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only JP1 remotes were better design wise...
Most of them remind me my Texas Instruments calculator Very Happy
If it only had IR Rolling Eyes ....wait, some of them can have IR
http://sami.ticalc.org/irlink/e_intro.htm

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my HP48 calculator as an IR remote for years before JP1 existed. It could even learn. I've since sold that calculator. The later models have their IR range crippled to discourage cheating in class which kills any remote possibilities.

I've also used laptops, PocketPCs and Windows Mobile devices as remotes. The iPhone also has remote control software and hardware available. But nothing beats a real remote.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

embrion wrote:
If only JP1 remotes were better design wise...

Yes, that's the truth.

The Robman wrote:
You only need one device to not be supported by your remote for it to render your remote useless. So while JP1 does indeed open up a whole new world of possibilities as far as special protocols, macros, etc are concerned, I still think the main reason most people go to the trouble of buying a cable and getting involved is to add upgrades.

Then, once they've added that missing device, they'll probably create upgrades for all the devices that have built in setup codes in order to make them complete and avoid needing so many keymoves. Then they'll tweak their macros and carry on down the slippery slope into JP1-nerd-land.

Well I always thought learning would have taken care of that (of course that was before my encounter with the unlearnable XMP signals). As you know I've been bitten hard by the JP1-bug. But upgrades were not what I was looking for. My fascination comes with the way they simplify my life. No matter where I go to watch TV, my basement, my familyroom, my bedroom, my vacation place, if I want to watch a DVD, I just press and hold my DVD button and all the inputs are set up to view. If I had to juggle remotes, or even use a universal remote to get to the place where I am able to watch a DVD I'd be pulling my hair out. Each setup is so different and so complicated, but I don't have to remember that, it just happens magically.

embrion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? I've opened my SAT HD PVR tuner's remote battery cover and... 6 pins Smile
How to check if it is JP1.x ?

Here's photo http://img714.imageshack.us/i/pinsv.jpg/

I still must fint another remote as this one has no backlight and enough keys
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: