JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comcast box using XMP-1 protocol?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Comcast box using XMP-1 protocol? Reply with quote

Visted a family member in the nursing/rehab home.
Comcast service.
Comcast settop box DC50X
SylvaniaTV. A heap of old junk.

I expected Comcast box signals, GIProtocol and I preset the remote to setup 0476.
I expected Sylvania TV setup 0054 or 0030 to work. I setup 0054. No workie. Some buttons worked but goofy. Vol+ and CH+ worked, but neither down worked.

I ran out of time, but I did learn the Comcast remote signal for this outfit. All buttons except 0 and 5-9 because 8910 ran out of memory on me.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8513

Surprise. XMP-1 protocol for the STB. Emerson protocol for TV (0054) in IRscope indicated this TV to use RC5)

Few undecodable(?) RED screens on the Learned Signals tab.
Makes sense?
Do learns again?

I need to turn down the volume on some neighboring TVs as they are deafening loud, and having one of my remotes on hand was to be my attack plan against this noise polution.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the DC50X uses XMP using Cable 1982, and Rob provided an upgrade some time ago.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Comcast box using XMP-1 protocol? Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

Comcast settop box DC50X
SylvaniaTV. A heap of old junk.

I expected Comcast box signals, GIProtocol and I preset the remote to setup 0476.

My comcast Thomson box uses xmp also.

Quote:

I expected Sylvania TV setup 0054 or 0030 to work. I setup 0054. No workie. Some buttons worked but goofy. Vol+ and CH+ worked, but neither down worked.

I'm a little confused Elizabeth, is it the comcast remote that is sending out an emerson on the 0054? My piece of ancient sylvania tv uses code 0065 Emerson 41.

Quote:

I ran out of time, but I did learn the Comcast remote signal for this outfit. All buttons except 0 and 5-9 because 8910 ran out of memory on me.

I'd expect the buttons 5 to 9 to have obc 5-9, so this will not be an issue.

Quote:

Surprise. XMP-1 protocol for the STB. Emerson protocol for TV (0054) in IRscope indicated this TV to use RC5)

I'm still confused by "emerson protocol for tv (0054). What exactly are you saying here? The original remote uses rc5? TV0054 (which usually is RC5, sending out an emerson?

Quote:

I need to turn down the volume on some neighboring TVs as they are deafening loud, and having one of my remotes on hand was to be my attack plan against this noise polution.

I love it! Laughing Too bad you need a line of sight to lower them. In FL all the oldersters turn their TV's up so loud! I'd love to lower all their tvs a couple of notches!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG,
Thanks. Got the file and the few signals match my learning, so I can use it.

Vicky,
1. Line of site is an issue, unless the neighbor is snoring in which case I rudely go in and turn down the racket. They didn't call the police on me yet Smile
2. I confused you in my description of the TV thing.
It's some unlabelled Comcast remote. Just the buttons I learned.
I THOUGHT the setup code 0054 or 0030 would work. That's what in the HTPro/8910 manual for Sylvania TV. IRscope said 0030 issues NEC1 and 0054 issues RC5.
BUT when I press the only buttons assigned to TV on the Comcast remote (Vol+,Vol-,Mute), IR tells me it's Emerson device 41. No issue for me if it'll work tomorrow, I just got surprised 8910 didn't have that Sylvania TV code.
And the Sylvania OEM remote is of course unavailable.
3. So what's the problem in IR with those RED flagged signals?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
1. Line of site is an issue, unless the neighbor is snoring in which case I rudely go in and turn down the racket. They didn't call the police on me yet Smile

Laughing
Quote:

2. I confused you in my description of the TV thing.
It's some unlabelled Comcast remote. Just the buttons I learned.
I THOUGHT the setup code 0054 or 0030 would work. That's what in the HTPro/8910 manual for Sylvania TV. IRscope said 0030 issues NEC1 and 0054 issues RC5.

Yes,0030 nec1, 0054, RC5, that's what the JP1 Lookup tool says too. If you look at Sylvania TV in the lookup tool, you'll see you'll see the sylvania codes that use emerson.
Quote:

BUT when I press the only buttons assigned to TV on the Comcast remote (Vol+,Vol-,Mute), IR tells me it's Emerson device 41. No issue for me if it'll work tomorrow, I just got surprised 8910 didn't have that Sylvania TV code.

The Emerson code is in the 8910.

Quote:

3. So what's the problem in IR with those RED flagged signals?

Its not a problem with IR, its a problem with the signal. XMP signals are not learnable by most remotes. With our Widgets we can capture anything, because it just records what is their. When captured by the remote, the remote tries to analyze the signal for storage. I think Rob told us that the UEI remotes are limited to 10 different timing pairs, while the XMP signal can have 16 different timing pairs. Graham has done all sorts of error correction algorithms to uncorrupt the signal as learned by the remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, Vicky. Thanks.
Now while you were helping me, I now recorded what 8910 learned, and it sure is a complicated mess when the learned signals come out of 8910. Not being sure what I'm seeing I posted the .ict file
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8514
Sure is weird. Doesn't look like 8910 puts out what it learned.

Also I have some trouble putting the TV into 6131, so I posted about it in Software since it's a KM question.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Now while you were helping me, I now recorded what 8910 learned, and it sure is a complicated mess when the learned signals come out of 8910. Not being sure what I'm seeing I posted the .ict file
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8514
Sure is weird. Doesn't look like 8910 puts out what it learned.

Note the (cor) next to the xmp description. That shows that this has been corrected. Most of the time, an XMP signal that has been learned by a UEI remote, does not work.

Quote:

Also I have some trouble putting the TV into 6131, so I posted about it in Software since it's a KM question.

I don't know what trouble KM is giving you, but as I said in that thread, you don't need an upgrade, since the code is already built in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: