JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My stupid- Getting learned signals in ir into rm?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD4x4

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: My stupid- Getting learned signals in ir into rm? Reply with quote

OK, maybe I'm just overloaded on jp1 and tools info to the point of major confusion (likely), but I don't see a way to copy or import learned signals from ir.exe into rm without hand typing all of them one by one.

What am I missing here? I'm thinking that surely with all of the saves, summaries, and copies in ir that something would either paste or import into rm's functions section but I haven't found the method yet. Question
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the code summary page in IR, then cut & paste the results to a spreadsheet, then cut and paste the data, one column at a time, into RM.
JD4x4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I clearly have a LOT to learn, but I thought I must be overlooking something because it seems like copying learned signals from ir would be a frequent operation when trying to create an rdmu file.

Am I going about this wrong, maybe? I have a HD TV and also a VCR that I want to custom map (rearrange buttons).. having the OEM TV remote I learned the signals into my URC10820N. I don't have a remote for the VCR but code 1577 has most of the correct EFC's so I learned them into the 10820N using 11577 in my OARC05G as the source and filled in the missing functions by trial & error sending individual EFC's. I then downloaded the info into IR & saved the ir files.

Now, I'm thinking I just need to enter the info into RemoteMaster & assign buttons. All of the entries/typing I'd make in RM are already in IR, right? I just have to re-type or copy/paste so I thought surely there would be a copy or save format in IR that would paste directly into RM, but I'm understanding that's not the case?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someday we'll have an integrated version of all the programs, but that's not where the software is at right now. That's what you get when the software is written for free by people in their spare time.

The two programs that you mention were written by different people for different purposes. The IR program is a tool that you use to communicate with your remote. You can use it to download the memory contents of your remote, you can then modify those contents and re-load them into the remote. The RM program is a tool that you use to create and modify upgrades.

You didn't mention the brand and model of your two devices, but I bet there are upgrades files for both already in our file section. So the learning process that you went through was probably un-necessary.

Also, pretend you are a programmer for a minute, how would you make the IR to RM thing work? Let's say that you download your remote's memory to get the learned signals and some of the signals are from your TV remote and some are from your cable remote. If you were to press the magic button that converts these into an upgrade, how would you handle the fact that there are two totally different signals present? Now, let's say that all the learned signals come from the same device and that device just happens to be a Pioneer device. Pioneer devices use a strange combination of signals so it usually requires an expert to look at them to determine which combo protocol is the best fit.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, and I hope that we get there someday, but for now, you have to do a few extra steps, which to me is a small price to pay for the ability to make your remote do what ever you want.

Now, back to the subject at hand, in addition to copying the OBCs over, you will also need to select the right protocol and enter the right device code(s).

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/rm/
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does actually sound like an RM-IR feature request.

RM-IR is the attempt at merging the two programs together. Right now, it handles the mapping you do inside of an upgrade to upgrade space/key moves really well(I find it a lot easier to explain to new users).

However I do not believe it has the feature you are requesting.

I recommend posting this request in this thread:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10849

As to how it would work Rob, I think it would be something like a button 'add to new upgrade' which would create a new upgrade using the info from that learned signal and another button 'add to existing upgrade' which would bring up a list of upgrades with compatible parameters to add that code to.

Granted, this would only be useful for about 75% of cases...

Regards,
xnappo
JD4x4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Rob, and xnappo. I'm learning as we speak/type

My devices (at the moment.. I have more for later!) are a Sceptre X23GV Komodo TV and a Symphonic (Funai) SE426D, which I think (so far) aren't quite perfect fits with the current km & rm files I've found. I can't swear I've found them all though, and assuming I'm comfortable in doing all this correctly I was hoping to post the results.

I do understand that I need to select the right protocol & device codes, but again it seemed like the cut & paste between the two progs was a natural.

Off the top of my spinning head, I was thinking that a simple column (or row) select & copy to clipboard in IR (if both progs had the same col order) that would then simply paste into rm would do the job.

Like I said, I'm learning as I type/ask, and I'm currently using RM-IR and find that if I put the ir learned text into Excel, put my ir notes column (where I've entered the OEM button name) first & EFC column second, the two paste nicely into a new blank rm functions grid. So, yes it's not hateful at all. Just that I think it would be slicker & less prone to errors maybe if there was some better column order and cut/paste sync between the two progs.

Regardless, I also realize that the user needs to understand what they're doing in any event! Something I'm still desperately working on!! So, bear with me, and MANY thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have upgrades for 3 Sceptre TVs:

Sceptre X42GV Naga X42
Sceptre_X37SV-Naga
Sceptre X30SV

The Sceptre X30SV-NAGA III uppgrade uses NEC2 dev 0.43 and the other two both use Sony12 dev1. So if you find that your learned signals match either of those profiles, you might find that you can use the corresponding upgrade.

We don't have a file for the Symphonic VCR so you will have to build one from scratch for that. I used the JP1 Lookup Tool to see what Video/1577 uses, and it's NEC1 67.71, which is supposed to be for Centrios DVD players.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD4x4 wrote:
Off the top of my spinning head, I was thinking that a simple column (or row) select & copy to clipboard in IR (if both progs had the same col order) that would then simply paste into rm would do the job.
It would be a nice feature, certainly, but it is far more complex than what you have experienced in this specific circumstance. The columns in RM are variable, based upon the requirements of the executor used to implement the protocol. In some cases additional information is required, such as sub-device numbers, etc., and sometimes there are restrictions on the valid OBC and/or sub-device numbers that may be part of a single upgrade. RM is aware of the needs of the specific executors present in any given remote, while IR only knows about the protocol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: