JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Free to good home - JP1 parallel interface

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjd

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Free to good home - JP1 parallel interface Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in a parallel JP1 interface, it's yours for the cost of shipping. I built it myself from someone's plans (the IC is CD74HCT125E) and it's worked fine for me for many years.

Unfortunately when I upgraded my desktop I lost my parallel port and then found out the USB/parallel converter I had wouldn't work either. So, I decided to buy a USB interface and JP1 adapter from Tommy.

For shipping, looks like $4.95 for priority or about $2.50 for first class - up to you.
Philx

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Free to good home - JP1 parallel interface Reply with quote

tjd wrote:
If anyone is interested in a parallel JP1 interface, it's yours for the cost of shipping. I built it myself from someone's plans (the IC is CD74HCT125E) and it's worked fine for me for many years.

Unfortunately when I upgraded my desktop I lost my parallel port and then found out the USB/parallel converter I had wouldn't work either. So, I decided to buy a USB interface and JP1 adapter from Tommy.

For shipping, looks like $4.95 for priority or about $2.50 for first class - up to you.

Hi I would be interested as I just learning JP1. I live in Vancouver BC.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philz, do you have a computer that still has a parallel port?
Philx

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
you make it seem like a bad thing. Yes I do unless I a mistaken about what a printer port is.
tjd

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Philx, looks like you're the lucky winner. PM me your address and I'll send it out... looks like "First-Class Mail International Package" is the way to go, it's only around $3 so don't worry about it.

I'm pretty sure this is the design I used [EDIT: corrected]

http://www.hifi-remote.com/hack/D2-index.shtml

Since you're new to JP1, note this only works on JP1 (EEPROM) remotes, not the newer JP1.x models. I don't know what the availability of JP1 remotes is like nowadays but just be aware it only works on some models, there is a spreadsheet with a list of remotes and interface types:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2981

Also, this pic shows both genders of DB25 parallel port - the interface has the male version on the top and your PC should have a female port like on the bottom:

http://clickercable.com/catalog/images/31d3-22200.jpg

Last edited by tjd on Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjd

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: I could swear I had an older account here but I couldn't figure out the username...
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how printer port and jp1 cable looks
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8452
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philx wrote:
The Robman wrote:
you make it seem like a bad thing. Yes I do unless I a mistaken about what a printer port is.

It's not a bad thing at all, it's just that most computers these days don't have parallel ports anymore, so I thought it was a good idea to check before you got the cable only to find out it won't work with your PC.
Philx

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right and I did.

Cheers
Peter
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: