JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can you speed up macros without an extender?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queeny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that if I add pauses I can almost guarantee that the Harmony will not learn the macro to a button. How long a pause did you have in mind? The fact that the RCA remote must have pauses for the macro to work is of no concern because I won't be using it except to shoot the macro to the Harmony.

The Harmony allows the user to set four different delays: power on, inter-key, input and inter-device. The one of interest here is inter-key, the amount of time a device needs to process a key before the next one is sent. In the case of my TV that defaults to a very long 500 ms (the TiVo is 0 ms). The user can also set repeats from 0 to 5; the default for the TV is 3 (the TiVo defaults to 1).

What I don't know is how this is handled with multiple signals packed into one button. I'm going to have to experiment. But the first job is to have the Harmony learn the macro signals. And for that I think I need to send as fast as possible.

I tried those codes again with the same result - nada. I'm not surprised. To set analog captions you pick one of ten items on a list. To set digital captions you pick one of eight items on a list. You would need 18 codes. The TiVo is different. You set the type of caption you want in a settings menu which presumably is a one time thing. Then you can toggle them on-off on an easily accessed menu. Users have been asking for a discrete but so far it hasn't happened.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queeny wrote:
The problem is that if I add pauses I can almost guarantee that the Harmony will not learn the macro to a button. How long a pause did you have in mind? The fact that the RCA remote must have pauses for the macro to work is of no concern because I won't be using it except to shoot the macro to the Harmony.

Its not the RCA remote that must have the Pause, its the TV. The TV must have the pause.

Perhaps .125 seconds between the double keys like the 2 lefts. Experiment with it until your macros work.

Quote:

What I don't know is how this is handled with multiple signals packed into one button. I'm going to have to experiment. But the first job is to have the Harmony learn the macro signals. And for that I think I need to send as fast as possible.

Again I have absolutely NO KNOWLEDGE of the harmony. If you can edit the learned signal then the pause can be avoided. However my guess is that it can't be done.

Quote:

I tried those codes again with the same result - nada. I'm not surprised. To set analog captions you pick one of ten items on a list. To set digital captions you pick one of eight items on a list. You would need 18 codes. The TiVo is different. You set the type of caption you want in a settings menu which presumably is a one time thing. Then you can toggle them on-off on an easily accessed menu. Users have been asking for a discrete but so far it hasn't happened.

You'd be suprised at what kind of features turn up when you do a discrete hunt. I found all sorts of things that I didn't even know my equipment could do.

I just suggested those codes because I've seen them in some generic upgrades that are used by your brand of equipment. I don't even know what model of equipment you are using. Looking for discrete codes is easier if you have the model number. l

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Queeny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you suggested starting with 0.125; that is as low as I could set it. I will be playing around with this for a few days.

No, I can't edit the learned signal. What I need to find out is how the Harmony treats multiple signals on one button with regard to timings.

I have really struck out looking for discrete codes. I even looked at Pronto stuff at remontecentral. All I can come up with are the usual suspects like power and inputs. Those are already in the Harmony database. As I understand it, their database is set up to acquire data from users so that if a discrete code exists and is used by someone, it will find its way into it.

I'll report back when I have some results.
Queeny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several tries, the H1 said that it had detected a key. The signal from the RCA contained no repeats and no pauses. When I sent the signal from the H1 to the TV there was no indication that it responded at all (the TV does not have an LED to let you know a signal has been received). Not even the first command "took".

The signal was sent in 1.8 seconds, almost as fast as when sent from the RCA. That leads me to believe that the H1 does not recognize that it is dealing with multi-buttons and is not inserting the default 3 repeats and 500ms inter-key pauses for this device.

I may try putting a short pause after every key and see if that makes a difference, but it might make it impossible to teach the H1. It just might be that my TV (unlike my TiVo) is too slow witted for this hack to work.
Queeny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have successfully taught my longest macro to a single H1 button and it is operational. Now to move from Alpha to Beta testing.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! If you ever get tired of the work, you can always switch over to the RCA remote. Laughing

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Queeny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the good news. Each of the four TV macros are packed onto their own single button on the H1. The final crucial factor was the Pause. I had to insert it after every key, not just a Left-Left type run. That is because the H1 is not inserting its 500ms inter-key delay so I had to do it. I am actually up to 0.3 which IR sets to 313ms. To be safe I may increase this closer to the 500ms that the H1 thinks is needed.

One of the most interesting aspects to this is that with the Pause inserted, which slows down the macro, the H1 detects the signal in raw mode perfectly every time. That means I was completely wrong about there being a time window, and that sending the macro to the H1 as fast as possible is not the key to success.

I may at some point try to utilize the RCA feature of putting multiple macros on a button, which would allow me to turn the caption on-caption off into caption toggle. But for now I will quit while I am ahead.

Now the bad news. I cannot teach a TiVo macro to the H1. Even though the TiVo can process a signal much faster than the TV I added a short Pause after every key and finally cranked it up to the same 0.313 as the TV.

Now here are the differences between the TV and ToVo.

First, I do not have a TiVo upgrade like you provided for the TV so whatever repeats the RCA uses for the TiVo are still in the signal. Maybe those repeats are too fast for the H1 to learn. The DVR setup codes that work are 0740 and 0739.

Second, I set up another Special Protocol with DVR as the target device and all else the same as the one with the TV as the target device. Is this my problem? Do I need a Pause Protocol for the DVR device? It does look like the Pauses get inserted because the macro slows down when sent by the RCA each time I increase the Pause time.

Do you need my current IR setup?
Queeny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the failure of the H1 to learn the PVR macros onto a single button I reassessed my approach. I had been led to believe that speed of transmission was critical to a successful learn. My experience was contrary to that. Because the H1 did not know that the data stream consisted of multiple button presses, it did not insert inter-key delays and I had to insert them in the macros for my slow witted TV. And that resulted in not only a successful learn, but an operating macro. Some, but not all, of the speed gained by the vicky's upgrade was given back by having to add the Pauses in the macro.

However, the quest for the fastest possible macros (by removing repeats) resulted in a non-general solution, one which seemed to require an upgrade for each device. I needed a general solution. So I picked up a used URC-8820B00 for a pittance. I loaded vicky's extender, set up the TV and PVR, did some key moves for the buttons that are not in the setup codebase, entered my macros, put in the lowest possible Pause between repeated buttons and set Macro Delay to 1 (is this a timing loop?). The H1 learned them on the first attempt and executes them significantly faster than the kludged Sequence method I had been using. And that was my goal.

My thanks to all of those who offered suggestions and expended effort on my behalf.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queeny wrote:
After the failure of the H1 to learn the PVR macros onto a single button I reassessed my approach. I had been led to believe that speed of transmission was critical to a successful learn. My experience was contrary to that. Because the H1 did not know that the data stream consisted of multiple button presses, it did not insert inter-key delays and I had to insert them in the macros for my slow witted TV. And that resulted in not only a successful learn, but an operating macro. Some, but not all, of the speed gained by the vicky's upgrade was given back by having to add the Pauses in the macro.
I must say that the original setup code you had chosen had a higher delay than the one you ended up using. Normally each key press for your TV sent out a minimum of 3 repeats, but we cut them down to 1 just so that we could shorten your macro to run in the time you'd allowed us to use.

Quote:

However, the quest for the fastest possible macros (by removing repeats) resulted in a non-general solution, one which seemed to require an upgrade for each device. I needed a general solution. So I picked up a used URC-8820B00 for a pittance. I loaded vicky's extender, set up the TV and PVR, did some key moves for the buttons that are not in the setup codebase, entered my macros, put in the lowest possible Pause between repeated buttons and set Macro Delay to 1 (is this a timing loop?).

With extenders we can significantly shorten the time between button presses, but as you've said, some devices are slow witted. The macro delay allows you to adjust the normal play speed so that you can adjust the average gap between signals without having to mess around with individual pauses. I found that when I had really fast macros, I had to jump through too many hoops to get my equipment to respond, so I allowed the users to pick a play back speed.

Quote:
The H1 learned them on the first attempt and executes them significantly faster than the kludged Sequence method I had been using. And that was my goal.

My thanks to all of those who offered suggestions and expended effort on my behalf.

Queeny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I must say that the original setup code you had chosen had a higher delay than the one you ended up using. Normally each key press for your TV sent out a minimum of 3 repeats, but we cut them down to 1 just so that we could shorten your macro to run in the time you'd allowed us to use.

I didn't so much as choose that code, it is the only one listed for a Mits LCD. The one used for the upgrade is a generic one for Mits but is lacking some buttons. Three repeats is also the H1 default for my Mits model. I can adjust that (on a per device basis) down and see if it makes a difference without compromising the reliability of other buttons. I am still using the TV macros from the upgraded RCA because they are faster than the ones from the extended URC, at least when sent from those remotes.

Quote:

With extenders we can significantly shorten the time between button presses, but as you've said, some devices are slow witted. The macro delay allows you to adjust the normal play speed so that you can adjust the average gap between signals without having to mess around with individual pauses. I found that when I had really fast macros, I had to jump through too many hoops to get my equipment to respond, so I allowed the users to pick a play back speed.

For the extended URC I assumed 1 is the fastest playback speed. Is that correct? I do have very short Pauses in something like Down-Down.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the extended URC I assumed 1 is the fastest playback speed. Is that correct? I do have very short Pauses in something like Down-Down.

That is correct.

stangbat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I get this macro speed up protocol to work with my RCRP05B? I do know how to enter it into IR using the protocols tab, I'm asking if I need to do anything else such as editing my devices so I can use it? I'm really missing the fast macros I have on my extended 8910.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stangbat wrote:
How do I get this macro speed up protocol to work with my RCRP05B? I do know how to enter it into IR using the protocols tab, I'm asking if I need to do anything else such as editing my devices so I can use it? I'm really missing the fast macros I have on my extended 8910.

The macro speed up protocol is remote specific. Someone would have to write this specifically for the RCRP05B. That would probably be Binky or uncleMiltie.

Usually this is just accomplished with an extender. I don't know when the RCRP05b extender is going to be ready. Unclemiltie and I were working on extenders at the same time, and even with nothing barring my way, I was still 4 months past when I had anticipated getting it ready.

stangbat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

The macro speed up protocol is remote specific. Someone would have to write this specifically for the RCRP05B. That would probably be Binky or uncleMiltie.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding the protocol given in this thread was written for the RCRP05B. The original poster wanted to speed up his RCRP05B so he could load macros into his Harmony remote.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stangbat wrote:
Can you explain a little further? It works with all macros. If it's not working for you, then you've made a mistake somewhere along the line. HERE's how you should have loaded it. Then you can delete it after running the patch.

Last edited by mdavej on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: