JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IRScope 2.01 Beta posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The save as appears to be following the common folder area, thanks Graham. You have no idea how tired I get of the navigation thing, and this really helps me.

On a side note, is there a possibility to have the rounding features that you put into IR for the raw data? I find the summary report to be extremely convenient for creating upgrades, and managing a set of signals. However, I can't do the decoding part that Rob does, as I can't see the patterns. Apparently you made some IR changes to allow rounding makes this much easier for the decoders.

See this post
this post.

I was wondering if something similar can be done in IRScope. As you've said no two users seem to use IRScope in the same way.

I really LOVE the changes you've made. The SUMMARY, the ability to sort and add notes, the abilty to have the common save folder, the ability to export learns and pronto hex have all become necessities for me. I love it! You've had excellent vision and execution in making this a first class tool.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
On a side note, is there a possibility to have the rounding features that you put into IR for the raw data? I find the summary report to be extremely convenient for creating upgrades, and managing a set of signals. However, I can't do the decoding part that Rob does, as I can't see the patterns.

My intention was that the IRP form now shown in the Summary section has identified the pattern for you, and that the timings in the Analyzed Data section have already done the necessary rounding. I think everything you need to put into Protocol Builder is now present in that analysis. If you want something more, could you explain in more detail how you are using the data, so that I can get a better understanding of what is wanted.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRScope 2.01 Beta 4 posted

I have now posted IRScope 2.01 Beta 4. This adds two new features to Beta 3. The first is that when a signal is selected in the decode panel, its analysis in IRP form now shows in a new line beneath Signal Structure, as well as in the Summary display.

The other new feature is in response to a comment by ElizabethD in another thread:

Quote:
One thing I'd love to see is bits for the hex values such as {A=$400401008485}, if the hex string is longer than 16 bits. Panasonic has 48 and 56 bits, kinda long by hand and excel can only do 16 bits at a time without concatenation.

There is now a new option, IRP Data Format, on the Advanced menu that enables you to select binary, quaternary (base 4) or hex as the format for the IRP data values.

The new Beta also resolves the following problem of Beta 3:

calisoto wrote:
I've tried the new version in 8 different computers and it works flawlessly in four of them. In the others, I can't use the "Export" item and pressing "Summary" after a capture makes the program crashes.

Calisoto subsequently traced this to the fact that the ExchangeIR and MakeHex DLLs depended on a Microsoft redistributable file that is not found on all machines. These DLLs have now been recompiled so that they no longer depend on non-standard Microsoft files.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyb.ncc wrote:
I was playing with it today and found a bit of a quirk that can make it a little difficult to import Pronto hex. I copied some Pronto hex directly from a CCF file and pasted it into the IRScope import dialog. The hex coming from ProntoEdit had all lower case letters in the hex. IRScope only accepts uppercase hex. If you would change the IRScope code to allow upper and lower case, or convert toupper it would sure make it easier.

Sorry, I forgot this one for Beta 4. I'll make sure it goes into the next one.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, would it be possible to add something to IRScope which lets the user save all the current data as one master file, without first having to select all the entries? I think this might make it more obvious to the user that this is possible.

If you look at this thread you will see that the user captured the signals from his original remote using IRScope and saved each button as an individual ICT file. So, for me to look at this, I had to first load 50+ ICT files into IRScope in order to get the Summary information. Now, I understand that the user could have saved the summary info as a file and posted that, but I imagine that there could be times where it would be useful to have the info in IRScope so that it would be possible to generate the waveform, etc.

In this case, I loaded them into IRScope one at a time, editing the Note field as I went, and created the following master file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8440
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea, Rob.
I once tried merging a whole mess of selected .ict files in windows but it didn't display.
Boy, think where IRSA was looong time ago, and now we have the Widget and IRscope can decode stuff of all kinds, and more and more uses and useful things to do come up. The magic of jp1 Smile This site is amazing.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should also point out that the user who created those ICT files saved each button as an ICT file without also entering the button name as a "note". It would be nice if IRScope had some ability to take the file name that used and use it as a "note" when the note field is blank.

I don't imagine this is possible when the individual ICTs are being saved, but maybe when an ICT file is opened, if the note field is blank, maybe the file name (minus the ict extension) could be put in the note field.

Just brain storming here.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it's just the ict timestamp and not a button name, and the file is submitted saying "it's my power button"
How can IRscope, i.e. Graham, know a legit button name from it or things like "just a test" or remote name+button, etc.
This can get very complicated.

Perhaps an alert about no note(s) - if you don't have notes you will never know which button was pressed, Continue - yes/no.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRScope 201 Beta 5 posted

I have now posted IRScope 201 Beta 5. This is able to import Pronto signals in both raw and predefined formats, other than format 8000, and it accepts both upper and lower case letters in hex values.

I have added a "Save All As" button and corresponding entry on the File menu. I think this was an excellent suggestion as I had lost data myself, more than once, through forgetting to Select All before saving. Smile I feel, however, that there were getting to be too many alternative forms of Save, so I have removed the plain "Save Selected" that saved with the default time-derived name without prompting. To save a selection you now have to use the "Save Selected As" button, or menu item, but if you really want to use the time-derived name, it appears in the Save As dialog box as the default name and all you have to do is press Return.

For clarity, the title bar of the Save As dialog box now shows which of the Save As options you are using, i.e. it shows "Save Last Signal As", "Save Selected As" or "Save All As" as appropriate.

I've not done anything about Notes. As I've observed before, everyone seems to use IRScope differently. I've already made it very easy to enter notes with each signal, as there is an option Select on Capture on the Advanced menu. This automatically highlights signals as they are captured and all you have to do is press Ctrl+N to open the Notes window for them. I don't want to do more, as opening the Notes window automatically would be an irritant to those who don't want to use it. Similarly I would prefer not to put a prompt about No Notes when signals are saved. I, for example, am usually not interested in the key pressed, just in the signal as an example of a particular protocol and so I seldom use the Notes capability. Can we just leave it to the common sense of the user to put in notes when they will be useful, eg when posting a .ict file for others to work with?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all sounds good Graham, I agree with your rationale.

Is there any chance that you could incorporate some of the rounding stuff from IR into IRScope? IR's rounding feature has saved me a ton of time over the years, it's really invaluable. Hey, maybe the rounding thing could be made into a DLL that can be shared between the two programs, that way if we improve it, both programs will benefit. One possible improvement for the rounding would be to have the concept of a base time and an interval time, rather than just one single round-to time. I have the XMP protocol in mind for this.

A future enhancement for IRScope might be to have the ability to import a complete Pronto CCF file. You've already got ExchangeIR to do the hex decoding, and you could probably use John's DecodeCCF program to rip the pronto hex from the CCF.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Is there any chance that you could incorporate some of the rounding stuff from IR into IRScope? IR's rounding feature has saved me a ton of time over the years, it's really invaluable. Hey, maybe the rounding thing could be made into a DLL that can be shared between the two programs, that way if we improve it, both programs will benefit. One possible improvement for the rounding would be to have the concept of a base time and an interval time, rather than just one single round-to time. I have the XMP protocol in mind for this.

I would like to draw a line under IRScope 2.01 now and address any new features such as this in a later version. In IR.exe, if I understand your improvement suggestion correctly, you already have the concept of a base time (the "Seed" value) and an interval time (the "Round to" time). I put that in a long time ago at your request, and "Seed" was your choice of word, so I hope that works as you intended.

I was hoping that the new Analysis feature in IR.exe and IRScope would be helpful to you. It can't handle everything (e.g. not the $0156 executor) but as far as I can tell, it works with everything that is in DecodeIR and many other protocols with similar patterns. When that works, it has done the rounding automatically and produced an outline for an IRP of the full protocol. You haven't made any comment on it. Is it of help?

Quote:
A future enhancement for IRScope might be to have the ability to import a complete Pronto CCF file. You've already got ExchangeIR to do the hex decoding, and you could probably use John's DecodeCCF program to rip the pronto hex from the CCF.

I'll think about that for a later version.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intended these suggestions for a future version, so please go ahead with 2.01 as planned.

I had forgotten that you had already added the "seed" to IR, and yes, that is exactly what I was asking for.

The automated analysis tool may prove to be useful, but when we're dealing with an undocumented protocol I tend not to trust tools, I like to decode them by hand. For example, the tool interpreted the Elan v883 protocol that we saw recently as a base-4 signal, when in fact it's a binary signal with a mid-frame burst. Looking at just one signal at a time, base-4 was a reasonable guess, but looking at all of the signals together, the mid-frame burst was the obvious choice.

So, bottom line, rounding is going to be much more useful to me in the long term than the analysis tool.

Al alternative to adding rounding to IRScope would be to give it the ability to create a generic IR file, which I could then open in IR to get the rounding feature. We could define an RDF with tons of learning memory and no other features just for this purpose if you like.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now posted the release version of IRScope 2.01 and announced it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: