JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

nayone know anything about power inverters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mortod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: nayone know anything about power inverters? Reply with quote

Have a faulty power inverter - ie one that produces 240V AC from 12V DC. Its a 1500W model and quite a beast inside (some 8 transformers and 16 MOSFETS).

I can't spot anything visibly faulty. Any thoughts on what I should be testing for? My only thought is to remove and test each of those 16 mosfets in turn.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devices that use Mosfets can be very difficult to repair.
Many times the Mosfets are in parallel so you have to disconnect them to find a shorted one. You should check for open fuses or a thermal relay that did not reset At high current, those transformers can fail also but cannot be checked with simple ohm meters. You should also examine the solder connections carefully since high current can melt them or cause some arcing.

Due to the nature of inverters, I would limit repairs to things like open connections, fuses, relays and what are basically "mechanical" failures. Some of the electronic failure modes could be undervoltage or overvoltage conditions which could destroy the device connected to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: