JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

jp1.3(flash) serial interface not working (radioshack15-100)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinomight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: jp1.3(flash) serial interface not working (radioshack15-100) Reply with quote

Ok so i got a 15-100, i installed the header pins as per the instructions here. here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=download&file_id=5127 . I've tested continuity from the header pins to the solder points on the board as well as to the 6 pin holes. Everything tests ok.

I built a jp1.2/3 serial cable as per the instructions here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5964 . The first time i built it i used 100kohm resistors throughout.(thinking that was what the addendum say.) This circuit didn't work. IR8 failed the interface check. However when it was tested, the remote reset and then the led blinked twice. I reread the addendum and corrected my resistor issue(very sloppily). This resulted in the same problem.

So today i decided to start afresh, i built the circuit again on a new board using new components. I spread my self out much more on the board allowing for easier testing. I checked everything twice, continuity, resistance, diodes. Everything appears right as far as i can tell. But i'm still getting the same results. I tried out the jp1xtest and is says no jp1.x compatible remote found. Again i get a reset and two blinks of the led.

I thought i would try to reset using 981, but i can't figure out how to do it on a 15-100) I tried using the lcd menu that says user reset but as far as i can tell it isn't resetting anything (the device names are still there.)

I could really use help. I think i'm about to break down and buy a prebuilt cable. (after all of the time i've wasted building this interface).
Anyone have any ideas?
wnewell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you have the diodes cathode/anodes in right. And transsitor bases, etc. I haven't built one by the circuit, but I know others have with success.. Yeah, I'm lazy and just bought one.Smile
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a similar situation some while back - the pinouts for the DB9 are for a FEMALE socket, the builder had somehow wired it to a male plug.

Make sure you have your DB9F pins correctly identified. :)
dinomight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Female Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'm using a female socket so i think it's wired right. I'll check the pin markings on the socket. I've tested the diode's orientation with a multimeter, and i've confirmed that the bases a connected to the correct location and that all of the emitters go to ground and that the collectors are connected as they should. . I'm using 47kohm resistors for r1-5 and a 100kohm for r6(all carbon film). I'm using 2n2222 transistors and 1n4004 diodes. I've clipped ping 5 on the pin header on the remote and on the interface. I'm using a ~1ft ribbon cable, and i've confirmed that the ribbon cable is oriented correctly. (pin1 interface goes to pin on remote.) I've even tried flipping the ribbon cable and in this case nothing happened when i tested the interface (no reset, no blinking leds) I'm not sure what to do now.

Woah. I just went online to look up the pinout. I'm not sure if the diagram on the packaging is marked from looking above the device or from below. When i did i saw on radio shack's site that the package contains 5x 2n2222, 5x 2N3904 and 5x 2N3906. 2N3906 is a pnp transistor which obviously will not work. When i get home i'll check the circuit and i'm willing to bet at least 1 of the three is a 2N3906. Assumning the transistors are not damaged i'll try to swap them all out for 2n2222 transistors. I'm pissed off that the packaging says 15x 2n2222 and it isn't. Even worse so is that some are pnp transistors.
-D
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1N400x are slow and high capacitance, you really need 1N4148, 1N914 or similar.

Be aware there are two different pinouts of 2N2222.

Use 4.7K, 3.3K or 2.2K for all but R6. 47K is too high.

The use of 47K resistor with 1N4004 diode is probably making the switching too slow to handle 38 kbps.
dinomight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i went home at lunch a looked at the circuit and it looks like i was using 1x 2n2222, 1x 2n3904 and 1x 4401. I'm still not sure if the diagram pin out i have is looking from the bottom up or from the top down. I had a typo i am using 4.7kohm resistors not 47kohm. i picked up 3 1n4148 diodes and 3 new 2x2222 transistors (this time i got them i a different form that is easier to understand the pinout ). I'll swap out the transistors and the diodes when i get home. I'll let you guys know how i do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: