JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

9910 rf x10 control success

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazman61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: 9910 rf x10 control success Reply with quote

I still don't quite believe it, but this afternoon I managed to get my URC-9910 to control my X10 devices over rf.
It took a combination of the US version of the remote (operates around 430mhz), Australian version of Powermid and X10 transceiver (both I think operate at 433mhz).

Once I had loaded Rob's X10 rf upgrade my devices started responding faultlessly. Haven't done too much more yet except create a macro in my home automation software and triggered it from within a small macro in my 9910. Viola! The lamp in question dimmed as my home theatre fired up.

I'm new to X10 technology (wife bought me a starter kit a couple of weeks ago on sale) but this success has inspired me to see whether I can send IR commands from my software over X10 rf (from transceiver) to Powermid receiver and use it as blaster to control my home theatre stuff.

As a side note I've had the Powermids for quite a while. The receiver is more reliable and has MUCH better range than the URC commander that came with my remote. It was dumb luck that they operated on the same frequency. I bought the Powermids just to use as an ir extender..
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! But I have a question, what role does the Powermid play in getting the X10 to work? If the transceiver runs at the same freq as the RF that comes from the remote, wouldn't it work without the Powermid?

I understand that the Powermid might be useful to control other IR devices though.
dazman61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Powermid was really just instrumental in me discovering the compatibility of the components. I had learned some IR codes to my x10 remote and I noticed that I could operate my gear from anywhere in the house. The obvious answer was the x10 remote was talking directly to the Powermid receiver. That led me to suspect that my 9910 could in turn talk to my x10 transceiver.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you could control the X10 rf transceivers without the Powermid, right? You're just using the Powermid to work your other IR devices, instead of using the URC-9910's own base unit.

So the trick is, mixing the US URC-9910 remote with Australian X10 or Powermid units.
dazman61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Rob, I could take the Powermids out of the system and just talk to the x10 transceiver. My future experiments will involve sending ir commands from my pc over the x10 network to be decoded by the Powermid receiver. There is an inexpensive x10 rf interface I can use which connects via usb.
My aim is to be able to control the two additional zones of my Yamaha receiver. With the use of an appropriate script I could power up the remote amp module for my outdoor speakers over x10, then select the zone source etc via ir to the receiver. The script could be invoked by either a coded x10 switch or by my 9910.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: