JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Changing DVR codes in the Comcast remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gfretwell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Changing DVR codes in the Comcast remote Reply with quote

I have the silver Comcast DVR/On Demand remote and I see a JP1 connector. Can I get in there and change the DVR keys to control my Replay TV 45xx?
(still using the TV keys for my TV and aux keys for a DVD player)
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do that with a JP1 cable. However, it may be sufficient for your needs to just use built-in setup code video 0616 (20616 on the remote with the red OK/Select button). This assumes that you are using the default unit number for the Replay DVR.

In order to change the CBL device setup code, you'll need to disable the Programming ID Lock, which is intended to keep you from accidentally using the wrong setup code for the (Comcast) cable box.

Press CBL
Press setup until 2 blinks
Enter 982
Should get 4 blinks

Now you can setup 0616.
Gfretwell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
You can do that with a JP1 cable. However, it may be sufficient for your needs to just use built-in setup code video 0616 (20616 on the remote with the red OK/Select button). This assumes that you are using the default unit number for the Replay DVR.

In order to change the CBL device setup code, you'll need to disable the Programming ID Lock, which is intended to keep you from accidentally using the wrong setup code for the (Comcast) cable box.

Press CBL
Press setup until 2 blinks
Enter 982
Should get 4 blinks

Now you can setup 0616.

I get as far as the 4 blinks but it won't take 0616 or 20616
This is the red OK button remote

Thanks Greg
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replicated 3FG's steps, and found that even though the cable lock was turned off and I could switch codes, the cable button would still not accept codes that didn't start with a 0.

You can set this device up ( 20616) to your Aux or TV buttons, but the CBL key is still off limits.

However if you set this up on the Aux key. You get control of the play, stop, record, stop. If any of the other keys are still punching through to the Cable device, you can override that with keymoves.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Gfretwell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get by this with JP1?
I really want to keep my DVD on the aux if I can.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

Do you think device reassignment would work: CBL, setup for 2 blinks, 992, Aux, CBL. Then see if it takes the code. I don't know what device buttons this remote has. You may need to try DVD or VCR or some other video button instead of Aux.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gfretwell wrote:
Can you get by this with JP1?
I really want to keep my DVD on the aux if I can.

Yes you can get by this with a cable.

Quote:

Dave wrote:
Do you think device reassignment would work: CBL, setup for 2 blinks, 992, Aux, CBL. Then see if it takes the code. I don't know what device buttons this remote has. You may need to try DVD or VCR or some other video button instead of Aux.

The remote doesn't acknowledge the 992 command. No suprise there.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gfretwell,
Sorry to have wasted your time. I should have checked the procedure; it would have only taken a couple of minutes. But I was "sure" that it would work, since I have changed setup codes on the cable button several times. Apparently I only used cable setup codes.

One other thing you could consider (besides using the JP1 connector) is to keymove the DVR transport function commands onto the transport keys in TV mode. The idea is that TVs don't use transport keys, so those keys may as well talk to the DVR. But if both TV and DVR need e.g. the arrow keys, then this won't work well. You can handle functions like power by using <shift> power (short press of the setup key, then the power key) for the DVR.

Instructions for performing a keymove have been written up by mdavej.
You can get the EFCs from Vicky's Lookup Tool (link at top of this page), using Device Search on Video 0616, and clicking on the EFC link.
Gfretwell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will try to figure this JP1 thing out. I still have the cable I made when I used it to back up my old remote (that took over an hour to program) and clone another one but I never got beyond that.
I did download all the files from the tools menu and I am starting to read. Is there a quick start guide for programming via the cable?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gfretwell wrote:
I think I will try to figure this JP1 thing out. I still have the cable I made when I used it to back up my old remote (that took over an hour to program) and clone another one but I never got beyond that.
I did download all the files from the tools menu and I am starting to read. Is there a quick start guide for programming via the cable?

Your comcast uses a JP1.3 FLASH Cable. So if you are talking about an OLD cable, chances are its a JP1 EEPROM Cable.

Gfretwell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will look at the cable to be sure what I have but I bet you are right. It is probably the old style.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this might work:
Unlock the CBL thing
Press CBL
Press and hold Setup, 2 blinks
enter 000616
2 blinks

If 1 looong blink, means it didn't take.

EDITED: Not 000616. Value to try should be 00616 - two zeros not 3.
Gfretwell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joy on the 00616 trick.

I have a JP1.3 cable on the way. I looked at the plan to make one and I would have to order the NAND chip anyway (no electronics stores here in the swamp) so I just ordered the cable.

Thanks for all your help. I may be back if I can't figure all of this out Greg
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever try the 20616 code?
Gfretwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was the first thing I tried after 3FGs suggestion
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: