JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Harmony Remotes (vs) RCA RCU810 JP1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Harmony Remotes (vs) RCA RCU810 JP1.0 Reply with quote

I was looking at changing / replacing remotes and ended up purchasing a group of Harmony 688 (15 Device remotes) Web based programmable remotes..

But my wife hate these remotes as;
(1) the "KEYS ARE TOO SMALL"
(2) the printing in the LCD for these keys is hard to read..

And it seems that the remote is smarter than my wife!.. Due to the fact that many of my devices do not have a (known/listed/working) discrete ON / OFF commands and only "POWER TOGGLE".. I have had to set the remote to act as if all devices are on... which means that if the device is not "ON" the "Sequence / MACRO" does not work.... and the "OFF" device has to be turned on from the device command... and the ""Sequence"" run again.

So I have to keep the RCA RCU810 remote even tho I have no memory space in them to add newer devices such as the Blu-Ray player...

:David
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Harmony Remotes (vs) RCA RCU810 JP1.0 Reply with quote

DavidEC2955 wrote:
So I have to keep the RCA RCU810 remote even tho I have no memory space in them to add newer devices such as the Blu-Ray player...

I'd be curious to see how you managed to use up all the memory in the RCU810, what do you have installed?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Rob said. Can you zip together your IR file and any upgrades you are using and upload them to the diagnosis area? It's very possible that someone can take a look and find a way for you to recover some memory.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Harmony Remotes (vs) RCA RCU810 JP1.0 Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
DavidEC2955 wrote:

I'd be curious to see how you managed to use up all the memory in the RCU810, what do you have installed?

And when I say "MEMORY FULL" it is the upgrade memory, I might have learned memory open. but not enough for a full device/remotes commands.

NONE of the current devices in my living room could be found in the RCA810 built-in code set.. I might find a command set that would allow power but no menu, or change channels, but no power.. etc..
(3@) DirecTV-HD-DVR Receivers and the only way I found was to install new upgrades for each receiver due to the 'receiver ID' offset code... and the wife will not use a 'shift key' for one of the ''special macro tricks" for the DirecTV receivers which would change the code's device id#...
(1@) Sony A/V Receiver
(1@) Toshiba HD-DVD 20A
(1@) Magnavox DVD-/+DVDR + VHS Combo
(1@) Toshiba 40" Plasma TV
. (1@) HDMI Switcher \ Combined learned into Toshiba's code
. (1@) A/V Switcher / Tricky and don't remember how but got it to work!
(1@) Zenith DTV Converter Box (mainly for local LP-UHF "A-TEAM")
(1@) X10 reassigned buttons set.

Three Macros..

Not in the RCA810 due to lack of memory
(1@) Panasonic BluRay.

On another note ... as much as she might hate it one of her beloved RCA810's has started showing signs of ''worn keys'' where they are either sticking or the ''rubber key'' itself is wearing down from repeated use for the last six to seven years... (I think my oldest 810 was purchased in 2000?)

:David
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you TRIED to add the additional Panasonic Blu-Ray device upgrade? For about the past 2-3 years, IR has been able to accept upgrades that "spill over" from the upgrade memory into OTHER memory areas and the remote works just fine - you get a a pop-up dialog asking if you want to move some of your upgrade to the learned or keymove areas. Click "yes" and you'll be just fine. The overflow is indicated YELLOW font color for the memory remaining status.

(But you should STILL upload your IR and RM files to see if someone has some ideas to recover some memory. Your description of the devices above insufficient to see what can be done to help)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
(But you should STILL upload your IR and RM files to see if someone has some ideas to recover some memory. Your description of the devices above insufficient to see what can be done to help)

ditto
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My panasonic blu-ray can be switched to using the standard panasonic dvd code, which would be dvd 0507 in the rcu810?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: