JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MAP file for Dreambox Keyboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex.77

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: MAP file for Dreambox Keyboard Reply with quote

I could already find an RDF file for the Dreambox keyboard. Is there also a MAP file for the Dreambox keyboard to use with RemoteMaster Software?
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex and welcome to the JP1 forums!

I recently took over maintenance of the RDF/map/image files from Nils Ekberg and I'm in the process of getting a new release ready.

I have the RDF for the Dreambox keyboard that you mention but, as you can see in the RDF, it uses the 'Generic.map' file. I do not have a proper map file or an image file for this device.

In fact, I've been wondering what this device is really like. Your post prompted me to search the Internet and I found some information on this very forum and elsewhere, including some images that you or I may be able to use to make a JP1 image/map for RM.

Do you own this device? Are you up to making a map file for it (using 'Map This!' (Windows-based, free) software? If not, I can eventually make an attempt at it, but I might need you to describe the buttons which I cannot read from the keyboard's image.

If you do decide to make a map, please read this post about making maps for RM first. I don't know how well RM would handle an image that's considerably wider than tall ("landscape" orientation). It might be wise to rotate the image 90 degrees so that it's oriented more like a conventional remote control.

If you or I can somehow make a proper map file for it, I'll gladly include it and the image in the next release.

Regards,
Bill
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex.77, I can't help you with the map, but maybe you could help me. I can't seem to find a user manual for this product. We have a preliminary version of the manual, but I can't find any information about the various keyboard setup codes. Do you have a copy of the manual?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
alex.77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Dreambox Keyboard Manual Reply with quote

Hi vickyg2003!

Thanks for the prompt response. Unfortunately I have only got a German printed Version of the manual. Nevertheless, I uploaded a scan of it here.

Some time ago I found an incomplete English version of the manual somewhere (maybe even in this forum) but I cannot remember where I found it. It contains some additional remarks from the (unknown) author. I posted it here for your reference. I also asked Dream Support for an English version if available. If they can provide one, I will post it, of course.

If I can give any helpful information, let me know.

Regards
Alex
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex, I was hoping to find something in there about the keyboard codes. It was interesting to see how much I could read with my basic highschool German. Smile
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Dreambox Keyboard Manual Reply with quote

Alex,

I'm guessing your lack of response to me means that you read Vicky's post and inadvertently missed mine. I'd still like to know if you plan to attempt a map file for this keyboard (it's really not too hard to make one, actually).

alex.77 wrote:
Some time ago I found an incomplete English version of the manual somewhere (maybe even in this forum) but I cannot remember where I found it.

If you check the 2nd page of the forum thread I linked to in my earlier post, you'll find a link to this document. It's the same one you uploaded (byte-for-byte) -- I checked.

Bill
alex.77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Dreambox Keyboard Manual Reply with quote

Hello WagonMaster!

First, thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry for my delayed response and the duplicate English Manual (at least I now know where I got it from).

Unfortunately I had no time to go trough the documentation so far. I was glad that I managed to serve the German manual to Vicky today.

As it seems that die MAP file creation would require a greater deal of energy, I decided to do the manual thing first. As soon as I find sufficient spare time, I will definitely address the creation of the MAP file according to the documentation you already referenced. However, it propably will need some experimenting. I will report back as soon as I have got any results or - even more likely - I have got some more questions.

Hopefully, I will address the MAP file creation this weekend (as I am on a official trip for the rest of this week).

Nevertheless, I prepared a "quality" scan of the Dreambox keyboard device and loaded it up to the forum. I provided a front view and a back view . Maybe it is of interest for you.

And to answer your original question: Yes, I own such a keyboard (the German version containing "Umlauts" and "z" swapped against "y" --> "QWERTZ"). Yesterday I tried to connect to it with IR.EXE and my simple, selfmade parallel JP1 connector and it worked fine. So, if I can do any experiments on your behalf, please, let me know.

Best Regards
Alexander
alex.77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Dreambox Keyboard Manual Reply with quote

Vicky,

do not overstress your brain cells with too much German reading. Dream support just send me an email. They promised to send me an English printed version of the manual. I will scan and post it as soon as it arrives.

Best Regards
Alexander
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dreambox Keyboard Manual Reply with quote

alex.77 wrote:
Sorry for my delayed response

No problem at all, Alexander. I just wanted to be sure you hadn't missed my post. Smile

alex.77 wrote:
and the duplicate English Manual (at least I now know where I got it from).

Since your file is hosted through the forum itself and that other (duplicate) file is hosted on the forum owner's private site, I think it makes sense to keep your file in place, even though it's a duplicate.

alex.77 wrote:
As it seems that die MAP file creation would require a greater deal of energy, I decided to do the manual thing first. As soon as I find sufficient spare time, I will definitely address the creation of the MAP file according to the documentation you already referenced. However, it propably will need some experimenting. I will report back as soon as I have got any results or - even more likely - I have got some more questions.

No problem at all. Glad to hear you're willing to give the map creation a try. It's really not that hard. And if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

alex.77 wrote:
Hopefully, I will address the MAP file creation this weekend (as I am on a official trip for the rest of this week).

No rush. If we don't get your map in the upcoming release, we can certainly add it shortly thereafter.

alex.77 wrote:
Nevertheless, I prepared a "quality" scan of the Dreambox keyboard device and loaded it up to the forum.

Very nice! Thanks a bunch for uploading those images. It's always good to have a clear, high-resolution image when trying to figure out (or create) map files.

alex.77 wrote:
And to answer your original question: Yes, I own such a keyboard (the German version containing "Umlauts" and "z" swapped against "y" --> "QWERTZ"). Yesterday I tried to connect to it with IR.EXE and my simple, selfmade parallel JP1 connector and it worked fine. So, if I can do any experiments on your behalf, please, let me know.

Excellent! I think we're in good shape to get this keyboard better supported in RM with image and map files.

Bill
alex.77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: MAP file for Dreambox Keyboard Reply with quote

Hi Bill!

I uploaded a first draft of the Dreambox keyboard (German layout) MAP file to the diagnosis section .

I encountered a few difficulties:

1) I could not match the following buttons defined in the RDF file: @LEFT1, @LEFT2, @LEFT3, @RIGHT1, @RIGHT2, @RIGHT3, @TOP1, @AUX, F3

2) Many of the buttons I mapped in the MAP file are not displayed with a yellow frame in the RemoteMaster software. Nevertheless, they can be selected with the mouse pointer

3) Some additional buttons appear below the image in the RemoteMaster software (in addition to the not matched buttons mentioned above): "button4E", "TOP1" and an additional "TV"

4) I ignored the German button labels and mapped the keys as I would expect it on an US layout (the same order as listed in the RDF file)

I will not be online for a few days, so please don't be suprised if I will not answer your comments on a short term.

Regards
Alex
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: MAP file for Dreambox Keyboard Reply with quote

alex.77 wrote:

2) Many of the buttons I mapped in the MAP file are not displayed with a yellow frame in the RemoteMaster software. Nevertheless, they can be selected with the mouse pointer
I am completely out of my depth decyphering the intricacies of a keyboard, but I can tell you about some of the operating parameters of the programs that I use regularly, like RM... Wink

In RM, the buttons to which one can DIRECTLY assign functions in an upgrade, are indicated by the yellow outline to which you refer. If you assign a function to a button that is NOT so outlined, then it will generate a KEYMOVE to assign that function to that button. The buttons which are "native" to an upgrade are defined internally within the remote, and are dependent upon the DEVICE TYPE you select. This information is coded in the RDF and I have no idea how our RDF authors figure it out, but figure it out they do. It is conceivable that these device type button maps are not 100% accurate for this keyboard, but, to illusttrate what I am talking about, open RM and select your Dreambox Keyboard. Look at the layout page, and then cycle through the various device types possible in the upper right hand corner of the screen. You will see that the set of keys that is outlined will vary with device type, and in fact it appears that the most "robust" device type is "Video Acc", which includes the maximum number of keys in its button map.

EDIT: You will also notice that some "shifted" buttons are included in the various button maps.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
damir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MAP file for Dreambox Keyboard Reply with quote

alex.77 wrote:

1) I could not match the following buttons defined in the RDF file: @LEFT1, @LEFT2, @LEFT3, @RIGHT1, @RIGHT2, @RIGHT3, @TOP1, @AUX, F3

F3 is near to F2 (on US/English keyboard).
Buttons starting with @ are visible under the front cover.

WagonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at your map file, Alexander (in both "Map This!" and under RemoteMaster) -- looks great! Nice job!

I think 'Capn Trips' and 'damir' have answered some of your questions (in fact, better than I could have, in both cases Smile).

Here's all that I can add to what they said.... I also see the "button4E" key in RM, drawn at the bottom of the image with the rest of what are referred to as "phantom" buttons. In case you weren't aware, these "phantom" buttons are buttons which can receive assignments but have no actual physical counterpart on the hardware device (remote control or keyboard). In this case, I believe the "button4E" is being automatically generated by RM because it found a hex button code of $4E in the RDF's "[ButtonMaps]" section without any button defined with the $4E code in the "[Buttons]" section. That's usually (always?) an error in the RDF. It could mean that either the "[ButtonMaps]" section is wrong or that the "[Buttons]" section is missing the definition for the button with the $4E code. Maybe we should figure out what button code goes with that unmapped "^" (caret) button just to the right of the "EXIT" button because other than those under-the-cover keys 'damir' so nicely pointed out, I don't see any unassigned keys.

I'm not sure why there's a "TV" button in with the other phantoms. The 2 existing "TV" buttons are already shown with "orange" outlines -- 1 rectangular key to the far right of the keyboard and 1 elliptical button near the top left. Maybe there's a flaw in the RDF that I haven't noticed or maybe there's some sort of problem with RM. I just don't know what's going on there, but I will try to look into this a bit more. If I don't see anything obvious, maybe the RM author (Greg) will see this and enlighten us.

Other than that, I don't see any real problems. There's the minor issue of the F1, F2, F3 keys' discrepancy between German and English variants. I suppose since you've already decided to map it like an English keyboard, you'll need to shift your F1 and F2 mappings one key to the left to make room for the F3 key. Does that sound logical?

What you've done so far looks great to me. Thanks again for tackling that task, Alexander!

Hope to hear more from you whenever you're back online....

Bill
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WagonMaster wrote:
Here's all that I can add to what they said.... I also see the "button4E" key in RM, drawn at the bottom of the image with the rest of what are referred to as "phantom" buttons. ..... In this case, I believe the "button4E" is being automatically generated by RM because it found a hex button code of $4E in the RDF's "[ButtonMaps]" section without any button defined with the $4E code in the "[Buttons]" section. That's usually (always?) an error in the RDF. It could mean that either the "[ButtonMaps]" section is wrong or that the "[Buttons]" section is missing the definition for the button with the $4E code.
Well, in a perfect world that would be correct, but we have seen other examples of "mystery" buttons that are indeed present "in" the remote (and added to the RDF buttonmaps by experts knowingly), but do not correspond to actual buttons, or even useful phantoms. Specifically the Atlas OCAP (URC-1056) 30333033 signature has a "ButtonF1" that just sits there in RM and IR confusing dumb folks like myself. Unclemiltie attempted to explain it here, but I still scratch my head and just say "I believe".

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Well, in a perfect world that would be correct, but we have seen other examples of "mystery" buttons that are indeed present "in" the remote (and added to the RDF buttonmaps by experts knowingly), but do not correspond to actual buttons, or even useful phantoms.

Interesting, Capn... Thanks for the info and the link.

I don't have enough information to even consider removing that button code from the button maps, so it will stay there for the time being. But I think it will be interesting to see what button code is assigned to that caret ('^') key which seems to be unique to the German version of the keyboard.

As for whether the software should ignore such buttons or not (as mentioned in the linked thread), I can see advantages to both ways. Hiding the button might prevent confusion, but showing it can highlight RDF errors. Flip a coin, I guess....

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: