JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RDF for URC-10820N
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacneed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: RDF for URC-10820N Reply with quote

Hi, I have purchased a URC-10820 from Amazon recently and when I connect it to my PC using JP1 cable and try to download the data to my PC, I get a messege below:

No definition file could be found for this remote (11781178), so the data cannot be interpreted for you. Please verity that your RDF path (on the File menu) is pointing to the directory where your RDF files reside. If that is set correctly then you should download the most current RDF zip from the Tools area of the JP1 files section to see if an RDF for your remote has been added.

On the back of URC-10820, it states "URC-10820N", not "URC-10820B00". Does this mean this remote is new (?) and current RDF file is not supporting it? Is there any way I can use this remote?

Thank you.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Cool! It sounds like you found a new JP1.2 remote. Its been quite a while since we've seen something new. You'll be able to use this but its going to take more work because you'll need to help with the RDF building process.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
pacneed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I contribute to the RDF building process?

I don't know if it's valuable infomation , but when I run JP1xTEST.exe, I get the result below:

**** FOUND A JP1.x COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON COM4! **** Signature is
11781178 Memory address is $EC00
Memory size is $1000 (4096)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never encountered a new remote, so I haven't been through the process. Hopefully an expert will come along and get in touch with you. I wonder if anyone has these locally as I am not going to be anyplace long enough to receive one from Amazon.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're waiting for an expert to help, you can get started identifying the addresses of all the buttons. This is done by downloading from the remote to get a good starting point. Then manually create several macros that use every key (it'll probably take 3 or 4). Make note of what you put in each macro. Then do another download. All the differences will show in red (or bold or something like that) in the raw tab. Besides a pair of bytes near the beginning, the first changed byte marks the beginning of the macro address space and is the code for the button the macro was assigned to. The 3rd byte is the length, and the remaining bytes are the addresses of the buttons in the macro. You may want to do one macro at a time, downloading after each macro so it's easier to pick out.

You can also identify the device code addresses. Assign a device code to a device button, download and see what changed. Repeat for each device and those will be the device code addresses.

Volume punch thru, home theater mode, code lock, etc. are done similarly, by changing one setting manually, downloading, and looking at the differences. But those are more tricky because many settings may be stored in the same byte.

You may be able to determine some checksum addresses too. Those byte values change as well every time you make any programming changes.

That will be a good start. However, once the right expert jumps in, he or she may be able to get all of those details just analyzing the code, without going through the trial and error process you did.

You might even get lucky and find that the 10820N button codes are the same as the old 10820 ones.
wnewell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacneed wrote:

**** FOUND A JP1.x COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON COM4! **** Signature is
11781178 Memory address is $EC00
Memory size is $1000 (4096)

Those match the regular 10820 except for signature of course. I'm adventurous, so I'd try copying the regular rdf to a new one using that signature. If it screws it up, I'll give you one of my regular 10820's for it. But I think the worse that would happen is you'd have to a factory reset.
pacneed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just copied "10631063 (URC-6820_8820_10820).rdf" and renamed it to "11781178 (URC-6820_8820_10820).rdf". Actually, it seems to be working without any problem so far. Thank you all.
ljp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the URC-10820N as well, and renamed the 10631063 RDF to the 11781178 RDF. I then used the code KM generated for a couple of devices (DVD and VCR) I want driven by the 10820N.

Neither code worked for the devices, and uploading the codes to the remote messed up the 10820N.

It doesn't seem to me that the button codes of the 10820N are the same as those of the 10820, but I haven't gone yet through the process mdavej suggested.

I'd be happy to share any code an expert may need ...

Thanks
tombongo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an newbee, and I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring of people who own a URC-X820N instead of a URC-X820B00. I just bought two URC-8820Ns from Amazon.com after seeing the success a friend had with his URC-8820B00s.

I tried renaming the RDF file, which seems to get rid of that 11781178 error. I started with Vicky's URC-8820ExtA7 extension, created my devices with RM, and added them to IR along with my ToadTogs and macros. I am now unable to upload anything to the remote. I get no errors, the remote just refuses to accept the upload. It blinks after the upload like everything is OK, but it doesn't work.

I even tried resetting the remote with set-980, and then just downloading from the remote. That failed also with error.

I am a little confused about what pacneed got to work. Could you please elaborate?

Is there anything that I can do to help?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tombongo, the 8820ExtA7 is for an EXTENDER. Extenders are written for specific remotes. You will not be able to use the 10631063 extender on this 11781178 remote.

Try resetting your remote with an 981.

tombongo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003, thanks for the quick reply. I reset it with 980 because that is what the manual said. I thought that the 980 reset was successful, but I could not download the remote.

I tried the 981 reset, and now I can download from the remote. I am not sure what the difference is or what to do from here to help the cause.

I am debating on whether I should return the remotes or just wait for the experts to add support for them.

When/If there is an official RDF available for the 11781178, is it much more work to create an extender? I think that I need the extender because I am using toadtogs, button groupings, and macros. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks again...
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a 10820N owner see if they upgraded the code library at all, see if it accepts the Directv code SAT 1377?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When/If there is an official RDF available for the 11781178, is it much more work to create an extender? I think that I need the extender because I am using toadtogs, button groupings, and macros. Is this a correct assumption?

You can do macros and keymoves without the use of an extender.

Some of more popular jp1-features like toadtogs, DSM, LKP-DKP, and nested macros and macro-concatenation requires someone with extender writer skills, so those features will take a while. Binky does a whole heck of a lot of work on getting the basic features and figuring out RDF settings and such. Once the truly heavy lifting is done by the experts, it still takes about 100 hours to get an extender up and running. So I wouldn't expect to see an extender before spring.

tombongo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just set my CBL/SAT to 1377 and I it seemed to work (two short blinks). Of course I have the 8820N, but it should be the same.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tombongo wrote:
I just set my CBL/SAT to 1377 and I it seemed to work (two short blinks). Of course I have the 8820N, but it should be the same.

Thanks, well the original 8820 /10820 didn't have the code its in library. Thats the first thing we have found out that's new for sure between two series of remotes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: