JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

rmir - can't dl from remote now
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wnewell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: rmir - can't dl from remote now Reply with quote

A while back I tested downloading from remote with rmir and it worked fine. I don't remember when this was but it was probably about a year ago. Now it can't find my remote. I get an io error. IR works fine under wine, so it's not the remote. Here's some of the errors.
Input/output error
Input/output error
Input/output error
EscapeCommFunction( 0 ) failed: EscapeCommFunction( 0 ) failed: EscapeCommFunction( 0 ) failed: [root@wes2 rm]#

I'm using a serial cable,jp1.2 and urc10820 remote. It totally crashes using auto detect, but just says now remote found when I set the port.

Any ideas what's going on?
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wnewell wrote:

A while back I tested downloading from remote with rmir and it worked fine. I don't remember when this was but it was probably about a year ago. Now it can't find my remote. I get an io error. IR works fine under wine, so it's not the remote. Here's some of the errors.
Input/output error
Input/output error
Input/output error
EscapeCommFunction( 0 ) failed: EscapeCommFunction( 0 ) failed: EscapeCommFunction( 0 ) failed: [root@wes2 rm]#

I'm using a serial cable,jp1.2 and urc10820 remote. It totally crashes using auto detect, but just says now remote found when I set the port.

Any ideas what's going on?

I have a few ideas....

The error messages you're seeing are undoubtedly due to the "hunting" that goes on for the JP1 interface on various common serial ports when a specific serial port device name is not supplied/used. Were it not for the fact that it cannot eventually find your JP1 interface and remote, I wouldn't even see a problem with that output. (Actually, there's clearly a problem in that error output that looks like a missing "newline", but it's a actually a bit more involved than that. I will add that to a list of things to look at and possibly fix in the serial library. I'm not the author, but I've had a few fixes in mind for things for quite a while, mostly problems in the Linux-specific parts -- more below.)

Your post is a little vague in some spots, but I assume from your reference to running 'IR.exe' under Wine and the '[root@wes2 rm]#' prompt that you're also running RMIR under Linux, correct? Was that also the case when you last used it and it worked?

As you saw, using the specific port name works better. Actually, this will always be the case (since it avoids the rambling "hunt" for a valid JP1 interface/remote), but there's no reason why it should not have succeeded. That's not entirely true, actually, since there are 2 bugs in the Linux part of the library code, but one tends to hide the effect of the other. I haven't characterized the effects completely, but I've seen inconsistent successes and failures in communicating with the remote under Linux. The bugs are there and need to be fixed, it's just that only Linux users (specifically those not running under Wine, in fact) have the potential of encountering them.

Which device name is your JP1 interface actually residing at? Based on your output, I'd guess "/dev/ttyS3", but it probably depends on which '/dev/ttyS*' device entries are already present on your particular Linux installation, so it could well be something "higher".

Unfortunately, I cannot immediately explain with 100% certainty what's going wrong in your case, but my suggestions may give you some ideas.

Regards,
Bill
wnewell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was running ir.exe under wine and rmir under Linux. And yes it worked under Linux before, although it was almost definitely an older kernel, and even a different MB. I actually tried it under 2 port names, My original was ttyS3, but this time I changed the bios and also tried it under ttyS0. No difference. I went as far as changing perms on the port and gave it world access for read and write to no difference. Long story why I was using ttyS3, but I left it at ttyS0, and changed my other calling software (upsd, which normally runs on the port) to that. It's not a big problem as I can always load and run under wine, but I don't normally have wine running.
wnewell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it was probably less than a year ago I ran it under linux since I just joined here in jan 09. Time sure flies.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't quite sure from your post if your problem was always consistent. It sounds like when you use "Auto-detect" for the serial port, it fails to find your interface/remote. But if you specify the port (e.g. "/dev/ttyS3"), it correctly finds your hardware. Is this always true?

I've just uploaded an improved version of the 'libjp12serial.so' library file. If you're still having problems (or even if you're not or are using some work-around but are willing to help test some of these issues), I'd like for you to download it and test it, please. Please see my post about how to use this new library file. Any feedback is very much appreciated!

Regards,
Bill
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WagonMaster wrote:
wnewell wrote:
Here's some of the errors.
Input/output error
Input/output error
Input/output error

Actually, there's clearly a problem in that error output that looks like a missing "newline", but it's a actually a bit more involved than that. I will add that to a list of things to look at and possibly fix in the serial library.

I forgot to mention, but I fixed this problem too. The error output should be properly sequenced, with proper line breaks, and a touch more informative now too.

Bill
wnewell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I set the type to autodetect on the first drop down menu, it crashes hard back to command line with a java error. There's an error log but it's long. Here's the first part;

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f72be5973be, pid=8159, tid=140131006667088
#
# JRE version: 6.0_15-b03
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (14.1-b02 mixed mode linux-amd64 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [libjp1parallel.so+0x13be]

This might be because my MB doesn't have a parallel port. Get the same with 2 versions of java.

If I select the serial port 1.2 interface, and the port to auto detect it doesn't crash, just gives me the IO errors with Remote not found pop up.

I don't understand how you fixed anything. Do you have the source code or are you one of the developers?
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wnewell wrote:
When I set the type to autodetect on the first drop down menu, it crashes hard back to command line with a java error.

This might be because my MB doesn't have a parallel port.

Hmm... this is interesting. I hadn't even considered the implications of the parallel library on this problem. I've never seriously examined the parallel library code, but I'll take a look to see if I can see anything obvious.

wnewell wrote:
If I select the serial port 1.2 interface, and the port to auto detect it doesn't crash, just gives me the IO errors with Remote not found pop up.
That clarifies things for me, thanks. I suspect that my new library code may help in this case (using "Auto-detect" on the "JP1.x" dialog box). I would very much like to hear your results if you get a chance to try it.

wnewell wrote:
I don't understand how you fixed anything. Do you have the source code or are you one of the developers?
I have the (currently non-public) source code. The plan is to make it public soon and I've been (slowly) working toward that goal. Problems encountered by you and others have motivated me to get the project going again.

Bill
wnewell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new library code you posted is for 32bit linux and I'm running 64bit 2.6.29. I'm not sure how to run the 32 bit code. If you decide to compile it for 64bit, I'd be glad to test it. I'd even give a shot at compiling it for 64 bit if you want to let go of the source. I'm not a c programmer, but I know how to run make if there's a makefile.Smile
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wnewell wrote:
When I set the type to autodetect on the first drop down menu, it crashes hard back to command line with a java error.

I'm seeing this now too.

I tried running, under Linux, the latest RemoteMaster (v1.96) on a laptop with no parallel port and was easily able to duplicate your problem.

I unzipped the release and ran it, leaving the 'Auto-detect' option enabled on the "Remote', 'Interface' menu. Then I tried to download from the remote and it crashed hard back to the shell prompt.

There's clearly something amiss. I think that Greg (the RM author) is also the author of the JP1.x parallel library, so I suspect he can get to the bottom of this quicker than I could. I'll PM him in case he hasn't seen this thread.

Greg, when convenient, can you please take a look at this?

Here's the shell (console) output:
Code:

==> java -jar RemoteMaster.jar -ir
#
# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb5b09f99, pid=3907, tid=3039161232
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (10.0-b22 mixed mode, sharing linux-x86)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libjp1parallel.so+0xf99]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/w/jp1/rm/hs_err_pid3907.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
Aborted

I've uploaded the 'rmaster.err' and 'hs_err_pid3907.log' as rmir-parallel-crash-files.zip for analysis. EDIT: File has now been deleted.

I'll try to investigate this more myself too, but if you (Greg) have some input, we'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Bill

Last edited by WagonMaster on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't know what to do with a linux crash dump file.

Just to make sure, you guys do know that RMIR must be run with admin/superuser privileges, right?

I don't currently have a linux setup on a system without a parallel port to try this out. I'll give it a try using wubi over the weekend.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Just to make sure, you guys do know that RMIR must be run with admin/superuser privileges, right?

Actually, no... I didn't know that. I successfully run RMIR all the time as non-'root' user. Upon further reflection, I suspect that the 'root' user requirement must stem from the parallel port direct I/O needed for a JP1 (EEPROM) remote control. Since I never use that, I've never had a problem running as non-'root'.

I went back to my parallel-port-free laptop and tried running RMIR as 'root' user and, sure enough, there's no crash now. Sorry for the false alarm. Maybe either a run-time check (for non-'root' users trying to access the parallel port via direct I/O) or some sort of warning in the (non-existent?) RMIR tutorial would be useful.

Thanks for the advice, Greg. Other than my suggestion above, I don't think there's a need to pursue this any further.

Bill
wnewell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see from my earlier post, I was running as root when i got the IO errors and no remote found pop-up, but It did only crash when run without root privileges.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wnewell wrote:
As you can see from my earlier post, I was running as root when i got the IO errors and no remote found pop-up, but It did only crash when run without root privileges.

In case my last post "muddied the waters", let me clarify: I still plan to somehow get you a 64-bit version of the new library code for testing. I'm not sure if the new library code will solve your problem or not, but, as I'm sure you'd agree, there's no point pursuing unknown problems until we've eliminated the known ones. Smile

I'd like to release the source code in the next couple of days, at which point, you or anyone else should be able to build a 64-bit version of the library. Please hang tight for another day or two and I'll keep you updated either via this thread or the other one we posted in.

Bill
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this option has now happened:

WagonMaster wrote:
I release the source code publicly, allowing you to compile your own 64-bit version.

Please see this thread for details.

If you get a chance, please grab the source and compile it as instructed within the 'jp12serial.cpp' file's initial comment block.

As you know, I don't have a 64-bit version of Linux handy, so you're a bit on your own here. I assume that your installation will default so that the GCC compiler will produce 64-bit library code, but I could be wrong. Either way, once you've successfully built the 'libjp12serial.so' file, be sure to run the 'file' command on it. I see this:
Code:

==> file libjp12serial.so
   libjp12serial.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

But you, of course, should see a "64-bit" indication if it compiled correctly.

Looking forward to hearing your results whenever you get a chance to report, on both the compilation and the use of the 64-bit library code with RMIR.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: