JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why is a double press of keys required ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOGGS75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Why is a double press of keys required ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I purchased a URC7556 recently and have been creating upgrades. This has mainly been done from upgrades I created previously for an URC8910.

A problem exists for five buttons sending signals to a Panasonic DVD recorder. The problem is that the the first press of the button does not send any IR signal and the second press does. The light on the URC7556 seems to show that the second press sends a signal that lasts longer than usual.

As these keys worked fine with a TV upgrade and a Satelite upgrade I am a bit puzzled what the problem is.

Has anyone experienced this before or know of how to solve this ?

I managed to put a file in the diagnostic area for another problem I was having but do not know how to create a link.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7099
Cheers

Goggs75
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your IR file and your Panasonic upgrade file. The sony file you posted isn't relevant. And tell us exactly which 5 buttons have the problem.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally when people ask this question, they're talking about the RECORD button, where UEI has added a "safety" feature to prevent people from accidentally recording over something, presumably on a VCR tape. So, in many UEI remotes, you need to press RECORD twice for it to actually work. Re-programming the button using a keymove disables this "feature".

In this case, you're asking about the LIGHT button. To understand why it acts this way, you need to understand what the button does. The LIGHT button turns the "backlight feature" on and off, rather than turning the backlight itself on and off.

For example...
1) You press LIGHT for the first time. This will turn on the backlight feature and as you just pressed a button, it will also turn on the backlight itself.
2) You don't press any buttons for a few seconds so the backlight turns off.
3) You press any button, except the LIGHT button, and the backlight comes on.
4) You don't press any buttons for a few seconds so the backlight turns off.
5) Now you press the LIGHT button, which will turn the backlight feature off.
6) Press it again, and you're back to step one.

So you see, your mind thinks that pressing the LIGHT button should turn the light on, but as the backlight feature is already on, it actually turns the backlight feature off, requiring a second press to actually turn the light on.

My recommendation is to pick a button that's easy to find in the dark, but one that doesn't really do anything consequential, then use this button to turn the light on. I use one of the arrow buttons myself as these don't do anything when there's no onscreen menu visable.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGGS75 wrote:
A problem exists for five buttons sending signals to a Panasonic DVD recorder. The problem is that the the first press of the button does not send any IR signal and the second press does. The light on the URC7556 seems to show that the second press sends a signal that lasts longer than usual.

The Robman wrote:
In this case, you're asking about the LIGHT button.

I don't think that actually is what he's asking about, Rob. When he's talking about the light, he's not talking about the backlight button -- he's talking about the LED light that indicates that an IR signal has been sent.

So the first button press does not send any signal (as indicated by the fact that the LED activity light does not come on, and the fact that nothing happens on the DVD recorder). A second press of the same button does send the signal, however (complete with the blinking of the LED activity light).

No idea why that might be the case, though it sounds more like the RECORD button issue you described in the first part of your discussion. Would probably also be useful to know which five buttons are exhibiting this behavior.
GOGGS75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

R2-MO had interpreted my question correctly. The URC7556 has no backlight but an application key lights up (blinks) when a signal is sent to show which mode it is in.

The keys not working with the DVD recorder are as follows:

INFO
PPV
RECORD
? KEY

I have noticed that the application key only blinks for the usual time when the record key is pressed. From what Rob was saying this does not look to be a fault. The other three keys needing pressed twice cause the application key to light up for a longer period of time than the usual blink. About double as long.

Are there any instructions for how to create a link. I will put the IR file and the DVD upgrade file in the diagnosis area once I can create a link.

Cheers

Goggs75
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the mention of the light threw me.
GOGGS75 wrote:
Are there any instructions for how to create a link. I will put the IR file and the DVD upgrade file in the diagnosis area once I can create a link.

Sure. Navigate to the file that you've added, then cut & paste it's URL into a post. That's it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGGS75,

The link in your first post worked fine. Just do what you did before.
GOGGS75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IR file with the Panasonic DVD device included is now in the diagnosis area.
This link should take you to it.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7105

The RM file for the Panasonic DVD is also in the diagnosis area. This link should take you to it.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7104

Thanks for your help.

Goggs75
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your keymoves were using the wrong device setup code (0075 instead of 2003). Also the "text" function had the wrong EFC value. The long blink was probably due to the non-existent code. Any ideas where 0075 came from? Just want to see if it's user error or some bug in RM or IR. If you pasted the upgrade from RM, all the codes should have been correct.

Last edited by mdavej on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looking at your files, it's interesting to me that the only buttons affected (apart from the REC button, whose double-press behaviour is actually normal in DVD/VCR mode) are those that are KEYMOVES on UNSHIFTED keys.

If you take a look at the "BUTTONS" tab in RM, those buttons with an * next to them are not 'native' to the DVD/VCR device and are not actually part of the upgrade, but are imported as Keymoves. ALL shifted functions are imported as Keymoves, as well. Do the fuunctions you have assigned to shifted buttons work fine on a single press?

What happens if you switch the device type to CBL instead of DVD?

This will require deleting all of the keymoves that were imported with the DVD upgrade before you upload your IR image to your remote.

Also, this would have the disadvantage of breaking VPT, so you would probably have to create three keymoves to get your DVD device to operate the TV's volume and mute controls.

But it's worth the experiment to try to see whther the double-press behaviour is related to KEYMOVES rather than the device upgrade.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
GOGGS75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The upgrade file set up by mdavej is working perfectly.

I do not know where the device code 0075 came from.

I was still to mention that none of the shifted-keys were working previously but they now are.

Is it possible to create a new RM file from the IR file or is this not easy ?

Cheers

Goggs75
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that fixed it. Your RM file didn't change at all. It was fine to begin with (it already had the correct EFC for text). I updated your IR file from it. You're all set.
GOGGS75

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help, I am vey pleased with the operation of the new remote.

There is one last question. How do you remove a file from the diagnosis area ?

Cheers

Goggs75
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGGS75 wrote:
There is one last question. How do you remove a file from the diagnosis area ?

Click on the button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: