JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to identify a JP1 remote hardware version

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colinnwn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: How to identify a JP1 remote hardware version Reply with quote

Hi All,

Through an unfortunate series of events dealing with my buggy Maxent MX-42HPT51 television, I have no less than 3 of the remotes provided with this TV. I noticed they have the place for the 6 pin header in the battery compartment and it is labeled JP1. I assume this is a JP1 remote.

I'd like to use it with other TVs (but it obviously doesn't have the TV code menu). And I'd like to look into using it with my MythTV. But to do anything with it, I need to determine which JP1 hardware version it is.

I looked on 2 different lists of JP1 remotes, and didn't find any references to Maxent, or Sampo, or Regent. Does anyone know what hardware version it is, or can tell me how to figure out, or can point me to a website that explains how to figure out?

Thank you.
Evan_s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you open the remote up and take pictures of the circuit board and the chips on it someone here will be able to identify which version it is specifically. Beyond that the labels on the boards aren't always accurate. Just pictures of the outside of the remote might be enough to give someone a clue.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage is another clue. If the remtotes are more than 10 years old, they'll be jp1, less than 3 years, they'll probably be jp1.3, in between is anyones guess.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
kupakai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According the manual here, it looks like the remote is "Bora" from this page, which is the same as what some of the older Vizio TV's used to come with. Those Vizio remotes are JP1.2. Also, the manual above lists the setup codes as 5 digits, so it would mean the remote is relatively recent model, either JP1.2 or JP1.3.

BTW, the Vizio versions of the remote has codes for TVs built in and even listed them in the manual. Try the codes from the back of this Vizio TV manual.
wnewell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to identify a JP1 remote hardware version Reply with quote

colinnwn wrote:
And I'd like to look into using it with my MythTV. But to do anything with it, I need to determine which JP1 hardware version it is.

You can use any IR remote with MythTV without programming it. If you can't find the lircd.conf for it at sourceforge, you can always create your own using irrecord. I assume you already have an IR receiver.

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/
colinnwn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kupakai
You're right, thanks, that's the remote. I also took a better look in the battery compartment and with more light saw the JP1.2. Too bad that Vizio owner's manual doesn't have codes for Olevia or Syntax-Brillian. But it will be helpful to try on friend's TVs so I could give them a free universal remote.

@wnewell
I know. But I thought it would be easier on me to use the synthetic VCR0144 device in MythTV. And to do that I'd need to program the remote with it.
wnewell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIRC doesn't care what code you use. All it looks for is the codes. As long as the remote you use sends codes for all the buttons you want to use, there's no need to do any programming on the remote. I've used several different remotes. on my frontends. Right now I'm using the URC10820 on both my myth frontends here. I couldn't find a code that actually used all the buttons, but a couple came close. In the end I just created my own code set to utilize all 43 buttons. Then ran irrecord to create the lircd.conf file for it. I uploaded all this in the file section if you're interested. Everything you need is in this archive.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6153

Just noticed you're in Dallas. I can program a JP1.2 remote for you if you can get to Wylie.
Evan_s

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinnwn wrote:
@kupakai
You're right, thanks, that's the remote. I also took a better look in the battery compartment and with more light saw the JP1.2. Too bad that Vizio owner's manual doesn't have codes for Olevia or Syntax-Brillian. But it will be helpful to try on friend's TVs so I could give them a free universal remote.

@wnewell
I know. But I thought it would be easier on me to use the synthetic VCR0144 device in MythTV. And to do that I'd need to program the remote with it.

Assuming it's a recent Olevia TV, eg 3 4 5 series, try the code 1610 or 11610 depending on if your remote uses 4 or 5 digit codes. That is generally the code for those TVs even if it isn't listed.
colinnwn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan_s wrote:
try the code 1610 or 11610 depending on if your remote uses 4 or 5 digit codes.

I tried. The led doesn't flash twice to signal successful programming. And it doesn't work my Olevia 232V. I bet Maxent disabled programming of the TV button to reduce service calls. Or maybe that code just wasn't included. Thanks for the suggestion though.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin,
I own a Olevia 227V, and setup code 1610 works with it. 1610 is one example of the ubiquitous NEC protocol, specifically NEC1 device 4.185. I'm sure that the 232V and 242 Olevia televisions use the same protocol.
Unfortunately, 1610 is the only setup code in all of the UEI manufactured remotes that supports NEC1 4.185. The remotes (that we know of) that have that code are Radio Shack 15-133/4/5, URC-7820 (JP1.3 version), Atlas 3032/3033, and Cricket.

The only way to make your remotes work with an Olevia is to buy a JP1.x cable. There isn't any way to manually enter in keymoves, etc. I've used the upgrade for the 242 that is available on this site with our Comcast remotes to control our 227V. It was straightforward. On the other hand, I have a $20 RS 15-135 which works fine with the Olevia, and that's cheaper than a cable. I much prefer the Comcast shape, button layout, and button size, and we have three of them, so getting the USB cable from Tommy Tyler ($35 shipped) was a no-brainer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: