JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wow somewhat overwhelming....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't usually have to go to the trouble of learning from the original remote. For example:

Here is a link to a thread which says the setup code for the HT-X40 is 1932. http://www.highdefforum.com/cable-providers/51803-cannot-set-comcast-remote.html. The 9910 doesn't have that code, but you can find an upgrade in the File Section here under Device Upgrades\UEI Official.

The following link says that an Insignia NS-BRDVD works with setup code 0675. http://community.insigniaproducts.com/insignia/board/message?message.uid=1132. That setup code should be in your remote.

Finally if you search on WDTV in the forum search here, you'll find an upgrade that Rob wrote for that. Or instead you could do a file search on Western Digital, and also find the same upgrade.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the right idea. If each of the 4 numbered buttons on the Psyclone select an input, you could indeed map those buttons to buttons under the device modes that need them. That's how I handle things like input select buttons myself. The 9910 has some learning and macro buttons that could work well for this purpose. And what's more, while having a JP1 cable would make this easier, you can do this now without a cable using the KEYMOVER function.
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly is an RMDU file and how do I use it....just a link to a tutorial on it. I have figured out how to import the TXT files into KM but how do you combine two or three ....man I am about ready to give up
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you've been plunged into this and its a lot of information, but you've had to do a lot more than I did in my first few years here. Trust me, you are almost there.

RMDU are upgrades that can only be read by RM. RM files can also read KM txt files.

In either RM or KM load the upgrade
1) change the remote to your model
2) assign the functions to the buttons
3) copy the device upgrade
4) switch to IR
5) add a device
6) paste
if there was a protocol upgrade required
7) switch back to KM or RM
8) copy the protocol upgrade
9) switch to IR
10) add a protocol
11) paste
you have now combined the upgrades.
12) From the files menu create a wav file.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright so now I have got the txt files and the rdmu files opened up in Remote Master....

From what I have read Remote Master and KeyMaster are interchangable....is there a preference of which one to use? I am seeing a nice layout on RM that has a picture of the remote and I am assuming the yellow circles are undefined keys and the solid yellow circles are defined keys...I am thinking I can manipulate them in RM but I will continue to play....

Just out of curiosity...say I am setup for 4 update files that I want...

The Insignia
The WDTV
The Psyclone
The Home Theater

The others are codes that already exist.....

I am going to want to create a wav file...so I would assume I have to send these over to IR8 and create an IR file then use IR to Wav to create the wav file....then no need for a JP1 cable
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From what I have read Remote Master and KeyMaster are interchangable....is there a preference of which one to use?

Yep, they are interchangable, for the remotes you are dealing with. Some remotes are not covered by KM. I stick with KM, simply because I learned how to use it before RM was developed.

You know, I believe that Rob created an IR file for you with most of your upgrades in it.

Have you opened IR in IR? You will probably need to tell IR where the RDF's and IRtoWav are before you can open the file that Rob created. Things will become a lot clearer if you see what it is supposed to look like.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a sec wait a sec wait a sec.....

so if I go to the Psyclone and I look at the functions in RM I see that SRC+ is
EFC 191 OBC 129 HEX BE

Could I then add that function to any of the RMDU files and then assign it to a particular button. So no matter what device I have selected on the remote TV/Video will change the Psyclone HDMI switch to the next source.

I am kind of anal by the way...I really wanna be able to make this do what I want with the keymapping that I choose. I guess the first step would have probably been to just take what Rob made and go from there....but I am being an ass I guess.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurto2021 wrote:
I am going to want to create a wav file...so I would assume I have to send these over to IR8 and create an IR file then use IR to Wav to create the wav file....then no need for a JP1 cable

Exactly. The one IR file that you add all those devices to make the one wav file. The existing codes for the other devices still need to be entered correctly on the general tab in IR so you don't have to change them manually on the remote after you load the wav. That wav file overwrites the entire contents of the remote memory, so set up EVERY device, macro, keymove, etc. the way you want before making the wav.

I personally prefer RM for the reasons you stated. You can just drag and drop functions onto the yellow circles. Notice also that you have Shift mode as well, which gives you an entire second set of buttons. Any functions you assign in Shift mode are performed on the remote by pressing Set then the button. For example, if you assign Stop to the Stop button and Eject to the Shift-Stop button, pressing Stop will stop and pressing Set Stop will eject. Shifted number keys work a little differently in that they require a double press of Set first when you use them. Otherwise the remote thinks you're trying to enter a code.

Some common mistakes are to fail to pick the correct remote in RM (this will be obvious if you see the wrong picture when assigning keys), and to forget to copy/paste the protocol (if it exists).

Kurto2021 wrote:

EFC 191 OBC 129 HEX BE

Could I then add that function to any of the RMDU files and then assign it to a particular button. So no matter what device I have selected on the remote TV/Video will change the Psyclone HDMI switch to the next source.
Not exactly. The SRC+ function is already in the Psyclone RM file, right? Then just drag it onto any button you like (even a phantom if you don't want to use a real button). If you want it to work in every device mode, you need to make it a macro in IR. You'd make a macro for the TV/Vid key with the Psyclone device key as step one and the SRC+ key as step two. Alternately you could make it a keymove in the modes you want it to work in. Something like Target Device TV, Key TV/Vid, Device (Psyclone device key), Key (SRC+ key). Repeat for AUX, VCR, etc. as desired.
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright I am 99% sure I got this.....so I have modified the psclone, the xbox, and the WDTV to what I wanted....

I went into RM's output section....copied the Device upgrade.....then went to IR8.exe and under the devices section I added the device and pasted the upgrade code. I then went into the protocols tab and did the same thing. Once I am done there I just say upload using wav and create the wav file.

Then from there I upgrade the remote with said wav file and then input the codes that I have assigned for each device. Then after that I grab a beer and enjoy my new(old) remote.

Mdave thanks for the tip...i think i will just get it working first...then i will try to get fancy....I do need to add the TV too even though it was built into the computer in the first place right?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kurto2021 wrote:

EFC 191 OBC 129 HEX BE

Could I then add that function to any of the RMDU

Right there, you've lost it.

To move it to another device you need to use the KEYMOVE in IR. But you will take that EFC and use it in your keymove.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurto2021 wrote:
I do need to add the TV too even though it was built into the computer in the first place right?
No. You don't need to paste in any RM upgrade files for it. Simply type the correct code for it in the General tab if it's a built-in code. If it's already there and works, you're done. All the codes in those boxes will be assigned to your device buttons when you load the wav, overwriting any codes you assigned before.
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well almost there....

I got everything but the bluray which might be finding it's way back to bestbuy. It was 79 bucks but the remote is a pain.

It is a ns-2brd and is made by desay. I searched the files and found a desay DVD but to no avail it didn't work. I can't watch a show at all on this thing without remote.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurto2021 wrote:
what exactly is an RMDU file and how do I use it....just a link to a tutorial on it. I have figured out how to import the TXT files into KM but how do you combine two or three ....man I am about ready to give up

Maybe too late now, but have you read RM's Readme or the Tutorial

Both are available under RM's Help menu.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe too late now, but have you read RM's Readme or the Tutorial

Both are available under RM's Help menu.

It wasn't too late for me. I hadn't realized those were there. The Readme is very informative, but the tutorial doesn't do anything on my machine. Any tips on how to get this to work?

gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tutorial is just a link to a copy of JP1 - Just How Easy Is It? (for RM) that is now included in the RM distribution. It should be tutorial\tutorial.html in the RM installation folder.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: