JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB to Serial Cable with older JP1.x interface?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: USB to Serial Cable with older JP1.x interface? Reply with quote

I've read the latest information on the newer JP1.2/3 serial interface design. Unfortunately, I have an interface I built at least a year ago that I would like to use via a USB to Serial cable with my Linux machine. When I attempt to download using RMIR, I see the power light blink, but I get an "no remotes found" message from RMIR. Is this older interface likely or unlikely to work with the USB cable? Is there a way I can validate easily from my Linux box? I can build a new cable if necessary, but would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

I appreciate any thoughts.
Craig
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post doesn't give any indication as to whether the serial cable that you built is a JP1.x cable or a JP1 (EEPROM) cable. If it's the former, it should work, if it's the latter, it definitely won't work.

Plus, you can't use an "EEPROM" cable with a JP1.2/3 remote, and vice versa.

Did you remember to put batteries in the remote?

How are you downloading from the remote that you discuss in your other thread?
csete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. I thought I was clear that I'm using a older designed JP1.x cable... rereading my post it definitely is not. (I actually have an even older JP1 parallel cable, but that isn't what I'm using in this case). This is definitely related to my other post and directly influences my ability to try anything on my machine because it doesn't have a serial port or Windows. My wife's machine has Windows XP and a serial port... thus it is the quicker of the two to collect the information for you re: IR.

When it is all said and done, my hope is to be able to use RMIR and this USB serial cable on my Linux box. I'm trying to keep the two problems somewhat separate at the moment to move forward with the questions about RMIR versus IR.

Regarding the USB to serial cable. I did have batteries in. Should I have them out? What is the easiest way to test? I can also try via IR on my wife's Windows XP machine if that is worthwhile.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP1.x cables need batteries in the remote, so keep them in.
csete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if I should just tear apart my current interface and rewire it to match the new schematic? I see a couple of capacitors in my circuit that definitely don't exist in the new design.

I will try a few things tonight.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about hardware, but I think this might be relevant.

Do you know about the PIN 5 problem that can occur with the JP1.3 remotes and the old cables?
csete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of that. Is there a pointer to a forum thread? I see in the new schematics that pin 5 is supposed to be unconnected?
csete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. Forum search is my friend. I have an Altas remote. How do I know if it is 1.2 or 1.3? Assuming I don't intend to control anything other than 1.2 or 1.3, can I assume that it is safe to clip pin 5 for both of these remote types? (In which case it doesn't matter if my Atlas remotes are 1.2 or 1.3 I guess).

Thanks yet again for all of the insights.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the signature of your Atlas? If you know the signature, you can find the RDF, and if you open up the RDF you'll see an entry that specifies the processor. If it says Processor=HCS08 it's JP1.2, if it says Processor=S3F80 it's JP1.3.

Another good rule of thumb is that if the sig begins with a 1 (eg, 10251025) it's JP1.2 and if it begins with a 3 (eg, 30333033) it's JP1.3
csete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact number, but it is 30* something... so, 1.3.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, in other threads you have said that you have an Atlas OCAP (URC-1056). Every OCAP we have seen has the interface type printed on the PCB adjacent to the 6-pin connector. I would be shocked if you found something other than "JP1.3" printed there, since we've never heard of anything else being there. Regardless, if you're still confised, read this thread.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. In that case, you don't want to have anything attached to pin 5. It's not good enough to leave the cable unconnected at the PC end because the cable itself can act as an antenna of sorts, so it has to be disconnected at the remote end.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

Always glad to see a fellow Linux user on these forums. Smile

A couple of comments that I hope will help:
  1. Although the JP1.x (Flash) interfaces can work fine under Linux, some USB/RS-232 adapters work with JP1.x interfaces and some don't. I have 2 such adapters. The IoGear 'GUC232A' works and the Belkin 'F5U109' does not. Note that the Belkin adapter works fine for all sorts of other things under Linux, just not with JP1 and the way it exercises the RS-232/UART lines. (I think it may be fixable with a Linux kernel driver patch, but that's another of many projects on my "to be investigated" list, for another day.)

What is the VID/PID (Vendor/Product ID) of your adapter? Try 'cat /proc/bus/usb/devices' or (as 'root' user) 'lsusb'.

It might become important, so I'll also ask: Which JP1.x (Flash) interface did you build? The one with transistors or the one with the quad-XNOR 14-pin DIP? If the one with transistors, how many transistors are in your implementation?

2. Back in early May, I'd discovered that there was (and still is currently) a serious bug in the JP1.x serial library code that affects Linux users. Fortunately, I'd also found (and documented) the fix. Unfortunately, the bug is still there (which is partly my fault, having been distracted by other non-JP1 issues lately).

Without going into detail, I'll simply say this: For now, don't try to run RMIR under Linux -- you will almost certainly encounter problems due to that bug! If possible, either run 'IR.exe' (under Windows or Linux+Wine) or run RMIR under Windows. Once you resolve the issue(s) with your hardware (USB/RS-232 adapter, remote control, etc), it will then make sense to further discuss the issues behind use of RMIR under Linux.

Don't hesitate to holler if you have any questions or if I've been unclear.

Good luck!

Regards,
Bill
csete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The controller on the USB/serial Cable is a Prolific PL2303 (0x067b:0x2303). Any idea if this is a cable that will work?

My JP1 cable is an older JP1.x cable. It has 3 transistors and a couple of capacitors. I don't see any capacitors on the newer schematic. I'm planning to rewrite my JP1 cable to match the latest schematics... perhaps tonight.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your remote is downloading, I don't think its an interface problem, I think you have a software issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: