JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA OARP05S
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: OFA OARP05S Reply with quote

Do any of you have any experience with the OFA OARP05S cable satellite replacement remote? Is it JP1.x capable?

manual here:
http://www.oneforall.co.uk/uploads/support/3465a12fd78caaea546f5a48180b569f.pdf
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ellen, nice to see you around again. (its me the soldering nitt-witt). I was just looking at that remote myself. Do you have one? I'd love to know if they are JP1.2 or JP1.3.
Ellen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vicky, nice to see you too!

No, I don't have one of these. Was surfing around the web this morning and happened to see it at the OFA web site. I need another remote like I need a hole in the head. But maybe I'll pick one up just out of curiosity.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I haven't seen these until a few months ago, I'll bet they are JP1.3 remotes.

Quote:
I need another remote like I need a hole in the head. But maybe I'll pick one up just out of curiosity.

I hear that! I've got so many remotes on my desk right now that it looks like, well like someone's place coffee table if they are not using universal remotes.

If you pick one up, I'd like to hear a review.
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In searching for a place to pick one of these up, I stumbled upon an RCA RCRP05B remote that looks physically the same as the OARP05S. Same shape, button layout seems the same, same button labels. I can't find the RCRP05B at the RCA web site though, so haven't been able to compare feature lists or manuals. I've sent an email to RCA asking if the manual is available. Will let you know what I find.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word I hear is that the OFA model does have a 6-pin but the RCA model does not. I don't know if that means that the RCA model has holes for a 6-pin though.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw don't tell her that, she LIKES to solder and that will probably sway her towards the RCA.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have any info on what the RCA is going to be like. Best case, they use the same PCB as the OFA model so all you have to do is solder in the pins. Worst case, you'll have to find spots on the board and run wires to hook up a 6-pin, and that's assuming that there's an opening in the casing for it. After all, remember all the problems that we had with the 15-100 where there isn't an opening.
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it was the black color that had me leaning toward the RCA. Yes, I admit it... I am very superficial Wink I hated it when OFA (and everybody else) went silver.

But you are right Vicky; I don't mind soldering. In fact, it was the desire to find an electronics project that got me into this JP1 stuff more than the desire to customize a remote. I'm even game to run wires. To Rob's point, I wouldn't be keen on hacking up the case.

Maybe I'll pick up one of each, if for no other reason than to let the JP1 community know what the differences are.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make assumptions about the color of the OFA remote before you see one in person. They have put out advance pics before where the color doesn't match the one they ended up using.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it looks different than it did in the brochure, but I sure like the appearance better than the Atlas. Its got the ABCD buttons and learning. If its JP1.2 I'll definately be picking one up.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Ellen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find a place that had both the OFA and RCA remotes. I should have them on Tuesday. I'll let you know when I get them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Hmm, it looks different than it did in the brochure, but I sure like the appearance better than the Atlas. Its got the ABCD buttons and learning. If its JP1.2 I'll definately be picking one up.

If this is a new remote, it will almost certainly be JP1.3, not JP1.2
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Rob, I expect this to end up being JP1.3 too. Crying or Very sad I've been looking for a good remote that is readily available and needs no hardware modifications.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Ellen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, what's the problem with JP1.3 remotes? What is their disadvantage as compared to JP1.2 that would make you care whether the remotes we are discussing here may be JP1.3 or JP1.2? I've been reading the board this morning looking for some messages that might indicate what the issue may be, but so far haven't seen anything obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: