JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

COMCAST DTA - Model Number DCI1011COM by THOMSON
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark60050

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: COMCAST DTA - Model Number DCI1011COM by THOMSON Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to create a remote upgrade file for a new Comcast DTA. The model number is DCI1011 and it is manufactured by THOMSON.

I learned the codes on a URC 10820. The protocol is identified as XMP and/or XMP-R. The corresponding protocol does not show up in RemoteMaster. Therefore, I don't know how to make the remote upgrade file.

I have read recent posts in the forum that state XMP is a tricky protocol to decode. So I have posted my file here.

I have tested all the learned keys. They all work. The corresponding function of each learned key is captured in the notes section for each respective key.

Thanks!

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7681
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XMP protocol is fairly new, and JP1ers tended to call it Dreambox until recently. Use the below upgrade-- you'll see that the OBC are the same as your learns. By the way, this is Cable 1982 if you have one of the few new remotes with that setup code. Use the Lookup Tool at the top of the page, Device Search, to see all the EFCs in C1982-- might be faster than doing learns.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6326
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I now realize that you may want to use this in the 10820B00. That's more difficult, because the 10820B00 doesn't have the XMP/Dreambox protocol. There is another upgrade in the File Section which is a KM 9.18 file. I didn't list it before because it doesn't load into RM correctly. But it does have the protocol upgrade necessary for a JP1.2 HCS08 remote.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7442

If you don't have it, download KM from FileSection/Tools (ignore that it says 9.16). In KM click the Load (not New) button and get the above upgrade. Then in the upper right, change the remote to 8820/10820. Then you can paste the upgrade and protocol into IR as usual.
mark60050

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Ah, I now realize that you may want to use this in the 10820B00.

Yes. Thank you. That is exactly what I am trying to do. I picked up a couple of the 10820 all for one remotes from amazon. I have had good luck with most devices I have programmed.

I downloaded the KM upgrade file, but I get an error that the dreambox protocol will not work my remote?

If I understand you correctly, you telling me to use the "Device Upgrade Code" from the KM upgrade file in your last post. And the protocol "Upgrade Protocol Code" from your previous post in this thread. Correct?

Thanks again for your help here!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you should only use the link in the second post, because that upgrade is intended for the microprocessor type that is in the 10820B00. After loading it into KM, copy the Device Upgrade/Keymove code into the Devices tab of IR (using the Add button in IR/Devices). Then copy the HSC08 Protocol Code (184 bytes) into the Protocols tab in IR, again using the Add button in IR.

If you want to import the upgrade into RM, so that you can see the OBC numbers, which will correlate with your learns, use the Advanced/Import Raw Upgrade menu feature of RM. In this case, don't copy the entire contents of either code box in KM. Instead, for the upper box, copy only the hexadecimal data starting with 6C 00 FE and ending with 00 00 F9. Click on the line with 6C 00 FE and hold down the mouse key while sweeping down to the 00 00 F0 line. Then Ctrl-C, and paste into the Upgrade Code box in RM/Advanced/Import Raw Upgrade. Click the checkbox to make the Protocol > FF.

Back in KM/Protocol Code box, copy the lines starting with 20 08 22 through B7 52 81. Paste that into RM in the Protocol Code box. Now the OK button should be enabled, and you should be able to see the upgrade on the RM Setup Tab and Functions tab. I recommend that you set the Setup Code to Cable 1982. Note that the Keymove of the Help key is lost in this procedure, and you'll need to enter that on the Functions tab and assign a key if you want the Help key.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote above "upper right" as the place in KM to change the remote type. I should have written upper left.

Also, what were you doing when you got the error about the dreambox protocol? Loading the upgrade file in KM 9.18? Make sure you have the latest KM version (9.18).
mark60050

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I have some old configuration files, but I am getting errors in many of the steps.

Here are the steps I follow:

1) I open remote master on Windows XP. The version in the about menu is "RemoteMaster Device Upgrade Editor, v1.97"

2) Next I go to FILE->OPEN and load the keymaster upgrade file. On loading I get the error:

Quote:
The upgrade file you are loading is for "Comcast URC-1067A JP1.2". There is no remote with that exact name

3) I select what I believe is the next closest remote "Comcast URC-1067"

4) After loading the file, I am at the "Setup" tab in remote master. The remote selected is URC-10820. So I think so far so go.

5) I get a persistent error when I move from tab-to-tab. I get the error on every tab change:

Quote:
The selected protocol "Dreambox" (01 6C) is not compatible with the selected remote. This upgrade will NOT function correctly. Please choose a different protocol

6) In the output tab, the Device Upgrade Code is only 7 bytes and there is no Protocol Upgrade Code.

I feel like I am using a different tool then you describe. I can't find a load menu or a raw output option?

I very much appreciate your help. But, it feels likes I am missing something basic here. Either my remote master version is wrong or I am missing some configuration files?

I am pretty new to JP1 remotes. Last night I figured out that I could map the learned keys to any key on my URC-10820. I did not get that impression from the manual. I only thought the L1, L2 and L3 keys would hold learned codes. Armed with this new knowledge, I got my remote working like I would like it too. The only issue is that the learned keys are using a lot of the learned memory space. Thankfully the DCM1011COM does not have that many keys.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have excel? This KM file doesn't open properly in RM.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark,
It looks like I just didn't write clearly enough, but in the third post of this thread, I say that the upgrade doesn't load properly into RM (RemoteMaster). Instead you'll need to use KM (KeymapMaster), and the third post tells you where to get KM from.

The fifth post gives instructions on how to use KeymapMaster to get the upgrade code and protocol upgrade code and how to put those codes into IR.exe and/or RemoteMaster.

As Vicky points out KeymapMaster does require Excel to run.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have Excel try this

Download RM beta 1.986

Open the Protocols.INI section

Find the [Dreambox] section,

at the end of that section paste this code block

Code.HCS08=20 08 22 47 42 00 00 5F 01 82 55 64 35 66 4E 60 64 B6 61 62 A4 0F B7 65 AD 0F AD 10 AD 13 24 08 1E 65 AD 08 AD 0B 25 FC 81 5F 20 02 AE 04 AD 56 81 B6 60 AD 2C B6 61 AD 28 B6 62 AD 24 B6 63 AD 3E 45 18 06 CD FF 74 B6 64 AD 16 B6 65 AD 12 B6 66 AD 0E B6 67 AD 28 45 9B 47 CD FF 74 CD FF 92 81 B7 54 62 AD 02 B6 54 A4 0F B7 56 AE 6A CD FF 65 B6 56 27 09 45 00 44 CD FF 74 3B 56 F7 81 AD E0 AE 6A CC FF 65 8C BF 56 E6 60 62 B7 52 5C E6 60 AD 1B 5C E6 60 AD 16 5C E6 60 AD 11 43 4C A4 0F B7 52 BE 56 E6 60 A4 F0 BA 52 E7 60 81 B7 54 62 BB 54 BB 52 B7 52 81

And then try this file and see if it works.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7689

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mark60050

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG, Vicky,

I misunderstood. I do have excel and will try that first. For some reason, I got the impression that KeyMaster was depricated and RemoteMaster was the prefered tool for upgrades these days. Now that I know RemoteMaster, picking up KeyMaster should be easy as the interfaces look similar.

I am going to take break from remote programing to finish my Christmas preperations. The learned keys on my URC-10820 should keep my cable watching family satisfied for now. I will report back to the forum next week after Christmas.

Many thanks and happy holidays!

Mark
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark,
I personally prefer RM to KM, and I think that most people use RM. But KM still is updated from time to time, and has more flexibility than RM.

From my point of view, neither program handles the XMP/Dreambox protocol cleanly.

Have a good holiday season, and please report back.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
From my point of view, neither program handles the XMP/Dreambox protocol cleanly.
Just curious, but how could handling of the XMP protocol be improved? When I added it to KM v9.18, I verified that the results were the same as in RM, and that proved to be a mistake as I copied the same error (hex bytes swapped). The error will be fixed in the next KM release, and I'm sure it will be fixed in RM too. Is your criticism of handling of this protocol based on having to work around the error, or is there something else?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that was addressed to 3FG, but I thought I'd chime in.

I struggled with this protocol, but mostly on the RM side. While it was slightly confusing on the KM side, seeing the devices change instead of the obcs, my headaches came with RM. When I first tried to open it, it kept saying that there was no Dreambox defined. Protocols InI has a Dreambox entry for pid 01 71 for the s3c8 version, and then further down there was a pid:01 71 for the HCS08 protocol. Even after making my entry to the Protocols.INI, RM still couldn't open the upgrade and needed to have all the data re-typed.

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intent wasn't to criticize the operation of either program. However, the overall experience of using the programs includes the various inputs, including RDFs, upgrade files, protocol.ini, and how the nomenclature and output of the programs matches up with the rest of the IR community.

Presumably as a result of the initial reverse-engineering of the protocol, KM/RM refer to the protocol as "Dreambox". I think the more common usage now is "XMP", but it isn't easy to know XMP protocol is called Dreambox in RM/KM.

The particular example here is C1982, which IRTool decodes as XMP (and XMP-R) device 62, subdevice 16. The Lookup Tool and devices.xls refer to the protocol as XMP 23,15,68,62. And KM/RM refer to it as Dreambox 62.23.

I consider this situation (which is larger than KM/RM) to be "not handled cleanly". I don't know which nomenclature/device numbering is correct, or if "correct" is even an appropriate term.

Obviously there is a problem with RM/KM and XMP at the moment. I also think there is a lack of consistent terminology within the IR community regarding this protocol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: