JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Blank download using IR.exe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeyondPlatinum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Blank download using IR.exe Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now and decided to get involved since it seems as though quite a friendly community has been developed.

My first steps were to order the USB cables from Tommy Tyler which arrived today and must say that his service has been outstanding.
Secondly I download and installed all the relevant software and drivers.

The problem that i'm having is that when I connect my remote to my PC and and use IR.exe to try to download from the remote it acts as though everything is working and the LEDs on the cable blink to indicate communication but nothing shows up in the app, just blank.

When I cick on "check interface" it tells me that all is ok.

The remote that i'm using is made by UEI, next to the JP1 pins it says JP1.3.
The remote is supplied with a satellite set-top box and is therfore specific to the set-top box and not a standard "one for all".

Any ideas on how to get this to work?
Any extra info that I need to give in order for you guys to help me out?

I'm really keen to get thing going here with this specific remote.
Thanks in advance
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you are using a remote that we haven't seen before, therefore even though the download worked, it appears blank because none of the information that you downloaded has been translated. The missing piece is the RDF file.

Try saving the IR file and then post it in our Diagnosis Area folder (in the File Section), then post a link to it here.
BeyondPlatinum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your response Rob.
Here is a link to the saved IR file.
What would be the next step in getting this to work and please let me know what else I can do to help get this RCU going?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6882
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to IR, it is signature 30483048, which is not in the current RDF library. It's a JP1.3 remote, with an ENORMOUS "EEPROM". So much so that IR gags on it. At least my version of IR 8.01DevBld 2 only goes from 00 00 up to 13 FF, while this remote is reading up to 23 FF (all cells >13 FF are blacked out!?!).

One of the experts is going to have to throw together a starter RDF for you, and then you will have to do some keymoves and macros to help flesh out the RDF.

There may be some IR tweaks required as well, but I'm not smart enough to know.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
BeyondPlatinum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your response, does that mean this is going to be a very difficult or impossible remote to do a few little tweaks on.

My main objective was to be able to backup the entire remote and then add a few extra functions to it and tweak a few of the existing functions.

I'm guessing that by being very new to this, I will definetly mess up a couple of times and therfore use the back-up to restore the remote back to its original settings and go back and forth until I get it perfect.

How difficult or how long does it take to make a RDF, assuming that it will be possible to use this remote and all its features?

What would be the best procedure to get a RDF created for this remote:
1. Ask a specific person for help?
2. Post under a specific section of the site?
3. Wait for someone to see this post?

Sorry for all the questions but although I've done my best to read forum rules and posts, I'm not yet familiar with how you guys prefer to do things but I do look forward to getting involved here.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can you tell us about this remote? Here's some initial questions...

1) Does it have a model number (typically they begin with URC-)
2) Where does it come from? For example, did it come with a device (and if so, what device?)
3) How many device buttons does it have?
4) Does it support macros (ie, the 995 function)?
5) Does it support keymoves (ie, the 994 function)?
6) Does it support learning (ie, the 975 function)?

Do you have a picture of the remote, or can you find one on the web? And finally, are you able to open up the remote? Sometimes there are codes printed on the circuit board that are useful when creating RDFs.

Here's a starter RDF:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6884
BeyondPlatinum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a bit of info on the remote:

I have uploaded a zip file containing a simple manual in pdf format.
Zip file also contains images of the remote as well as the insides with all components and text on the circuit board visible.

The images and manual may be able to shed some light on some of the questions that I might struggle to answer.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6886

1. Model Number: URC-39895R00-xx : UEIS-11568

2. The remote is supplied with a HD set-top box manufactured by Pace.

3. The remote has 40 hard buttons. Some of the buttons have a second function to them, i.e. press "shift" button and then press "alt" button to send the command "subtitles".
Remote has a round dial to select the universal device that you would like to control.(TV1, TV2, A, B, TV1, TV2, C, D).
TV1 and TV2 are used to control STB and A, B, C, D are used to control universal devices like DVD, TV, AMP, etc....

4. Macros are supported but I do not know what 995 means.

5. I do not know what keymoves are.

6. Learning is supported but I do not know what 975 means.

If there is anything else then please let me know and thanks again for helping me get involved here.
Evan_s

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

995 and 975 are the codes generally used when programing a macro or learning. EG you press and hold setup or shift as it is labeled on your remote and then type in 995 or 975 and then go through a few steps to setup your macro or learn a key from a different remote.

Taking a quick look at your manual the remote uses some of the colored buttons in place of the codes but you can see the standard method in the instructions how to do a search for a remote code.

A keymove is basically copying the function of one key to another key on the remove.

I'm not an expert and wouldn't be able to help you create a RDF for the remote but my understanding of the process is your part is relatively simple if a bit time consuming and does require you to be pretty careful about doing your testing and labeling everything you do. Basically you are trying to figure out how the remote stores information. It's not as bad as it could be since the experts here have already done this for a lot of other remotes and things tend to be relatively similar between the remotes. Typically your part is to do things like reset the remote back to default and then go learn a signal to a bunch of buttons or create a macro on a bunch of buttons and then download from the remote. The experts then look at the files created and the information you provided and then figure out where the remote starts storing it's learned signals for example.
BeyondPlatinum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks allot for the detailed reply.
I'm very eager to start playing around and learning how to do things, so I'll just wait for the experts to hopefully get things started and take the learning curve step by step.
If there is anything else that I can contribute in the meantime please let me know.

One question that I still have is:
Once this remote is added to the list, will it be possible to back-up the entire thing, mess around with it and if need be restore the back-up so that the remote goes back to its original state?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeyondPlatinum wrote:
One question that I still have is:
Once this remote is added to the list, will it be possible to back-up the entire thing, mess around with it and if need be restore the back-up so that the remote goes back to its original state?

You can already do that as the file that you posted is your backup file. So go ahead and do any programming that you like, then re-load the file to restore it to how it is today.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond,

If you want to go ahead and start the process, you can start creating macros that use every key on the remote. Each macro is usually 15 buttons max, so you'll need 3 get them all. Make note of the button order in each macro and post the resulting IR file and the list of buttons in each macro. We can then see the changes in new file compared to the original and deduce the button codes. THIS explains how to make macros.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Dave, that's not necessary because I can see the button codes in the pics. I've updated the RDF to include the correct button codes. (As I've changed the name of the RDF, please delete the old copy of it before saving this version).

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6884

The next step is to try doing the various programming items that are described in the manual, such as learning, macros and volume relay, to see what changes in the download.

I've found the web site for the DStv satellite service that the remote comes from: (it looks like this remote also ships with the SD box)
http://www.dstv.com/dstvsa/content/en/sa/products_overview

And this was tricky, but I think I've found the Pace model number for the SAT box: PACE TDS850IMC
http://www.pace.com/corporate/products/productDetails.asp?nav=products&productID=DSAT-TDS850IMC

I had a hard time determining what kind of service DStv offers, as their site doesn't really say, I didn't know if it was cable, satellite or something else, but the wiki page told me it was satellite:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DStv

I just sent you a PM describing some additional info that I need.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
It's a JP1.3 remote, with an ENORMOUS "EEPROM". So much so that IR gags on it. ... There may be some IR tweaks required as well, but I'm not smart enough to know.

Does anyone know yet if any IR.exe tweaks will be needed to cope with the size of the EEPROM, or for any other reason?
BeyondPlatinum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried a few tests as follows, after each thing I reste the remote to its default before doing the next download in IR:
Here are the files:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6888

1. RCU_Default.ir - This is the original download with the RCU at its factory default.

2. RCU_TV_A - This is a download of the RCU with "A" setting setup to control my LG Plasma using a code.

3. RCU_Relay - This is a download of the RCU with "A" setting setup to control my LG plasma but the Relay is programmed in for use with "TV1" setting to control the volume on my LG Plasma.
"TV1" is used to control the set-top box by default but with the relay programmed, the volume button will now control my tv and not the set-top box.

4. I used the learning function on the remote to manualy learn a command from my TV remote into "A" setting and tested it on my TV and all was working but when I tried downloading from my remote using IR I got this error - "Bad checksum at address $1600. Expected $10 $EF, but found $00 $FF"

Thanks again for all the involvement from everyone trying to help me out.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, something weird is going on here. When I try to open any one of BP's downloaded IR files, my IR.exe (8.01 Dev Build 2) behaves strangely. Whether or not Rob's starter RDF is there for it to use, if IR is open to the "GENERAL" tab when I open the IR file, I cannot navigate to any other tab. If IR.exe is open to a DIFFERENT tab when I open one of his downloaded IR files, I can navigate to other tabs.

Is it just me?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: